FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/30/2016 6:18 AM  #1

Front suspension conversion

I am converting my 65 T code to V8 suspension.  Everything is original to the car so should be replaced. Is the best way to go to buy a kit for about  $750 or is piecing individual components together a better idea?  By suspension i am strictly referring to the front suspension.

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

7/30/2016 11:53 AM  #2

Re: Front suspension conversion

A matched kit is a good way to go, but you have to match the rear to the front as well or it will never be optimized.

7/30/2016 12:29 PM  #3

It's a little more difficult, but there is money to be saved by shopping around. Buy from multiple suppliers. Check freight options. 

7/30/2016 2:25 PM  #4

TKOPerformance wrote:

A matched kit is a good way to go, but you have to match the rear to the front as well or it will never be optimized.

I agree.  Get a kit.  You might check out NPD.  They have a warehouse in Detroit.  That suspension stuff is heavy.  Getting parts from closer to home will save a lot on shipping costs.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

7/30/2016 2:55 PM  #5

I think it depends on what's in the kit. If you are replacing everything and everything you need is in the kit then that's the way to go. If you have to add to the kit or the kit includes parts you don't need then shop around.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

7/30/2016 3:01 PM  #6

TKO- match front to the rear? I have a 9 inch out back all rebuilt with 3.70 gears and a trac lok. Should be good.   I do already have Granada spindles.  I just need to get the 6 cylinder suspension changed over.  Sounds like the kit would be the way to go. But was not sure if there were kits to stay away from. Or ones to definately buy.

7/30/2016 3:57 PM  #7

I'd go seperate rather than a kit. You can go to napa or oriley or autozone and get the parts cheaper. The only thing that oriley and autozone done sale are the perches. I don't know if Napa does or not.

7/30/2016 4:49 PM  #8

You can get most, if not all, your suspension parts at RockAuto.com. They are very competetive on price and RockAuto has posted a discount code on the Swap Meet page.

7/30/2016 6:33 PM  #9

The rear end has nothing to do with the suspension.  I'm talking about springs and shock, as well as possibly an antiroll bar.  A chassis is a system.  You can't just address one end and expect it to work right.  You need to match spring and shock rates at each corner, then address roll stiffness front and rear to tune the suspension for the desired limit handling characteristics.  Its not as simple as adding higher rate front springs to account for the V8 swap and calling it good enough, not if you ever intend to lean on it at all.  This is why a kit is a good way to go because if you get it from someone like say Mustangs Plus it will be a proven system designed to work together.  At the very least I'd buy a kit with springs, shocks, and antiroll bars.  You can definitely get ball joints, bushings, etc. cheaper from Rock Auto (great service BTW, have placed several orders recently for a Fox body project I'm working on). 

Also, subframe connectors are a must if you want it to handle.  Otherwise you have to overspring it to get the tires to stick. 

7/30/2016 7:08 PM  #10

Ok I understand what you mean. I've already installed new rear leafs. And "Daze" subframe connectors with under ride traction bars. Any suggestions on shocks (all 4) and front spring rates? I will be running a front sway bar.  This will not be a corner G machine. It will be more for cruising and occasional drag racing. While I'm in there is it really necessary to do the "Shelby  drop" ..?  I see some conversation here and there about it.   Thanks for the help everyone.  Brent

Last edited by Brents65 (7/30/2016 7:09 PM)

7/30/2016 7:08 PM  #11

Most kits are composed of parts from China. I use nothing but MOOG suspension components to ensure quality parts. Bilstein shocks and Progressive Motorsports coil springs have proven to be solid performers.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/30/2016 9:18 PM  #12

Brents65 wrote:

is it really necessary to do the "Shelby drop" ..?. Brent

NOT necessary butt.......cost is almost zero and the benefits are huge as far as handling/everyday driving.
I am a big believer it the benes of the "drop"!
One of the few things that is a real bargain on these "little-money-holes!!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/31/2016 2:46 PM  #13

IMO taking it all apart and NOT doing the Shelby drop is a mistake.  The bottom line is that Shelby fixed what Ford got wrong.  This adds positive caster which the car desperately needs (you move the UCA rearward and well as down), and greatly improves the camber curve resulting in more stable cornering and less need for static negative camber to compensate for the stock setup's terrible positive camber gain under cornering loads.  It also reduces bump steer. 

With subframe connectors I would go with stock GT rate front springs.  A set of KYB shocks at all 4 corners has served me well for years.

Ideally I'd swap to a 1" swap bar up front with no rear bar, or a 1-1/8 with a 7/8' rear bar.

For drag racing anything you do to improve handling is going to work against you.  BUT, how much will you realistically drag it?  If its going to spend 99% of its time on the street I'd care about the handling a lot more than wringing every last 0.10 second from your ET. 

7/31/2016 3:49 PM  #14

It will be a 1% er.   it will be a cruiser mainly. Thank you all for the input.  I think I have enough info to be dangerous now.  Still shooting to have it to the paint shop by the end of summer.

7/31/2016 6:38 PM  #15

I used KYB's;but, switched to Bilstein's.  Much happier. Solved a bouncy front end.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

7/31/2016 6:41 PM  #16

I'd set it up for reasonable handling then.  Don't go crazy on the rolling stock (17s or smaller) to keep the ride soft.  Shelby drop, with reasonable springs and good shocks.  I'd do the 1" front sway bar and poly bushings throughout and call it a day.  Its not going to carve canyons, but it'll handle better than a new truck and thus be much safer to drive. 

8/02/2016 7:45 PM  #17

Brents65 - I converted my 65 V8 front end to the Mustang II front end and have several items from that conversion: 1" sway bar, export brace, Monte Carlo brace, the brace under engine, upper and lower control arms, strut arms, manual steering linkage, even the cut out shock towers.
Send me a PM if you're interested in any of these items.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

8/03/2016 5:03 PM  #18

Ok thanks Bob.  I've got a pile of parts coming from CJ pony.  Spent $1000 on parts and nothing for shipping! Can't beat that.

8/04/2016 9:47 AM  #19

Brents65 wrote:

Ok thanks Bob. I've got a pile of parts coming from CJ pony. Spent $1000 on parts and nothing for shipping! Can't beat that.

Enjoy your Chinese parts!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/04/2016 6:25 PM  #20

I looked when they came in...all packed in rice!!!!!   Oh well. It will be fine I bet. If not I will graciously take an "I told you so" .

8/04/2016 9:26 PM  #21

MS wrote:

Brents65 wrote:

Ok thanks Bob. I've got a pile of parts coming from CJ pony. Spent $1000 on parts and nothing for shipping! Can't beat that.

Enjoy your Chinese parts!

I pay extra and get the Chinese parts with "Made in USA" stamped on'em!!  They just seem to hold up better!!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/05/2016 5:44 AM  #22

almcgee wrote:

I used KYB's;but, switched to Bilstein's.  Much happier. Solved a bouncy front end.

I did the same thing.  I hated those KYB shocks!

8/05/2016 7:05 AM  #23

So  what is the issue with KYB? Too stiff?

8/05/2016 7:40 AM  #24

I like my KYB's... But I'm running KYB gas-adjust II's (now marketed as KYB excel-G) and I think they're a little less harsh than the original KYB's

8/05/2016 7:57 AM  #25

That's what came in this kit is excell g.  If I don't like them they are easy enough to change.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.