FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/28/2016 9:41 PM  #1

Identifying casting date of heads

I have a set of re manufactured heads for a 302.  The heads were originally on a '71 block that had been rebuilt and driven into the ground. Heads do not have the normal part number system cast into them.  The machinist that did the work could not identify year of casting.  Any suggestions for identification?

8/29/2016 5:42 AM  #2

Re: Identifying casting date of heads

With chamber and valve size you can probably figure a year range, but if the heads have been heavily modified its likely hopeless.

Are you sure they are Ford heads?  I've never seen a Ford part that didn't have a part number on it.  The rubber exhaust hangers on my '89 GT have part numbers on them for God's sake.

8/29/2016 5:56 AM  #3

Maybe a set of Aussie heads...check inside the ports for #....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

8/29/2016 6:46 AM  #4

TKO:  I am "assuming" the heads were made by ford as they look like any other casting I've seen.  They definitely came off a ford 302 engine.  It had been bored 60 over and I never had any cooling problems with a standard size radiator.  As for modifications there has not been any porting or polishing done and no other mods that could readily be identified.

jj:  There is no marking in any of the ports.

There are the numbers 78 cast under the valve covers midway of the heads on the lower side.  If this is the year of casting I've not seen this before.  Of course, my experience is fairly limited.

8/29/2016 11:47 AM  #5

If there is no engine size cast anywhere then I can tell you it is a post '77 casting.  The casting numbers on these heads are located on the deck side, probably in the area where the pushrods pass through. 

8/29/2016 2:37 PM  #6

TKO:  Casting info was where you said.  It's so small I needed a magnifying glass to read it.  The characters are D8XX, meaning 78.  This matches the numbers under the valve covers.  Now to find out some info on the heads.  Thanks much.

8/29/2016 7:13 PM  #7

Yep.  The numbers are real prominent of FE heads, but harder to find on the small block stuff.  Of course all FE engines have 352 cast into the front of the block which throws a lot of people for a loop, so they aren't perfect either. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.