FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/04/2013 7:10 PM  #1

Dash lights out

I recently noticed that my dash lights are not working. Not long ago I had problems with charging and it turned out to be the voltage regulator. Could this have caused a problem with the lights?

The car's a '66 fastback with new, though original style wiring, and Autometer gauges...

Any ideas?

7/04/2013 9:12 PM  #2

Re: Dash lights out

try twisting the headlight switch to several different positions the dimmer feature on mine doesnt work very well which causes the dash lights to go out.

7/04/2013 9:15 PM  #3

I'd first check the fuse.  then I would check the ground behind the dash bezel.  Anything else not working?

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

7/05/2013 5:10 AM  #4

terry wrote:

try twisting the headlight switch to several different positions the dimmer feature on mine doesnt work very well which causes the dash lights to go out.

It's a new switch, but still the first thing I tried. Thanks. 

7/05/2013 5:11 AM  #5

MarkinSC wrote:

I'd first check the fuse.  then I would check the ground behind the dash bezel.  Anything else not working?

No, everthing else seems to be fine. 

7/05/2013 5:29 AM  #6

I had trouble with my dash lights. I moved the fuse in the holder and mine came back on. I have since cleaned the fuse block.

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

7/05/2013 4:11 PM  #7

stump wrote:

terry wrote:

It's a new switch, but still the first thing I tried. Thanks. 

sometimes new switches are defective too.  is the wiring connector on tight to the switch? it may not be making a connection. 
do you have power on each side of the fuse? Do you have a test light? put a test light on each side of the fuse. YOu should have power on both sides when the dash lights are on.

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

7/05/2013 10:31 PM  #8

Alan wrote:

I had trouble with my dash lights. I moved the fuse in the holder and mine came back on. I have since cleaned the fuse block.

i have to do this about 2-3 times a year on mine. only the one fuse/socket acts up, but know when i have no dash lights its time to clean it again.

7/06/2013 11:14 AM  #9

Alan wrote:

And squeeze the prongs together with a pair of needle nose to help hold he fuse tighter.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

7/06/2013 4:51 PM  #10

Take your meter, ground one end and touch the other to both sides of the fuse holder for the dash lights.  It's the small fuse in the center.  If you have voltage on both sides the lights should be on, if they are not on then the bulbs are bad.   If you don't have voltage backtrack to switch. If voltage on one side of fuse and not the otherside then fuse is bad.(or bad connection)  Good luck, Mike

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

7/07/2013 7:35 PM  #11

Thanks, All.

Turns out it was the fuse. One end cap was loose and apparently broke the connection...

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.