FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/19/2016 9:12 PM  #1

Would trade the old hot rod in a second for one of these...

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/19/2016 11:00 PM  #2

Re: Would trade the old hot rod in a second for one of these...

Pshaw.  You just have a bad case of 'grass is greener', Sal!   Next thing you know, you'll be starting to think of putting LS1 motors where they don't belong.  Come back to the light, buddy!!!

*grin*

(all that said, wow what a beaut!)  I helped my friend restore a '64 hardtop 4 spd with the 340 horse 327.  It puts out every bit of its rated power and then some...  FUN.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." - Abraham Lincoln

11/20/2016 6:11 AM  #3

Honestly, I've been around Corvettes my whole life, and the C1s never really did it for me.  They look good, but the performance isn't there.  Later in the run they got some decent engines, but a live rear axle and drum brakes just aren't what I associate with a Vette.  With a run that started in '53 and ended in '62 its really '50s technology. 

Now the C2s were sweet.  IRS, 4 wheel disc, and big blocks.  My uncle had a silver '67 with an L88 427 and a four speed that was insane.  It didn't have a gas pedal; it had a tire spin pedal.  The close ratio 4 speed and aggressive rear gear did not help either.  With slicks and a good driver it ran 10s in the 1/4. 

I liked the early C3s too, though '72 was the last year for me because they lost the chrome bumper on the front in '73 and the rear in '74.  My dad had a '72 with a 454 and a 4 speed.  It was pewter, kind of a silver color with some green in it, one of those odd, but cool colors.  It had power everything too.  Great car from my youth.  He started teaching me how to drive stick in that car when I was like 10.  He'd work the pedals and let me move the shifter from the passenger's seat. 

The C4s were pretty good for their day too.  Great handling and they had become GMs rolling testbed for new tech, so they got all the good stuff first (EFI, Bose sound systems, etc.).  Those cars are a bargain right now and they can rip with an LT1 and some work.  The LT4s could run low 13s stock.  Of course there were the ZR1s in that era, but they unfortunately have retained their value.

The C5s hold a special place in my heart, as my dad had a red '99 vert that was the lat car he bought before he passed.  I was old enough to drive that car, though I wasn't supposed to, think dad knew but he never said anything.  I was careful with it, but I did lay some rubber with it too.  These things can be had pretty cheap now and even a base model puts 350HP to the wheels.  The Z06s made 405 I think, which is ZR1 power in a better chassis, with a better trans (T56).  Of course there is plenty of aftermarket support too. 

All great cars, and great memories, but I'd never trade my '67 for anything.  Its MY car.  At this point I've probably bled over it enough that it has enough of my DNA in it to literally be family.  23 years of ownership and I know it top to bottom, nut and bolt.  Its not perfect, probably never will be, but the imperfections more so than the bright spots are what makes it mine.

11/20/2016 7:23 AM  #4

TKO, I hear what you say about their short comings. Old technology, didn't have the HP of the mid sixty Vetts, but they are pretty to look at. And if you try and up grade the these cars, they loose value.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

11/20/2016 8:46 AM  #5

....I thought you were talking about the truck. I didn't even see the Corvette. :-P

11/20/2016 11:27 AM  #6

ultrastang wrote:

....I thought you were talking about the truck. I didn't even see the Corvette. :-P

Touche'   !!!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/21/2016 10:00 AM  #7

ultrastang wrote:

I was wondering why Sal's pic of that beautiful F100 was off center and obscured by that other car... it's a shame really.

11/21/2016 3:30 PM  #8

For a C2 big block ....... in a heartbeat.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

11/21/2016 5:47 PM  #9

Back in 1967 a friend bought a new 400 hp, 427ci L68 engine, 4 speed manual convertible with factory side pipes. He kept it till 1997  when his "new" wife decided that a Corvette was too pedestrian and he should get a Ferrari. He got $68,000 for it on the trade. Since then the Corvette has increased in value and the new Ferrari has depreciated.
 Privately he wishes he had kept the C-2.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/21/2016 7:32 PM  #10

Rudi wrote:

Back in 1967 a friend bought a new 400 hp, 427ci L68 engine, 4 speed manual convertible with factory side pipes. He kept it till 1997  when his "new" wife decided that a Corvette was too pedestrian and he should get a Ferrari. He got $68,000 for it on the trade. Since then the Corvette has increased in value and the new Ferrari has depreciated.
 Privately he wishes he had kept the C-2.

And stayed single..........????

11/22/2016 5:04 AM  #11

Yeah, the real mistake there has nothing to do with the cars...

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.