FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/12/2016 1:25 PM  #1

ISO info on radiator for 1992 5.0 conversion into a 65 Mustang

Has anyone had success in finding a stock radiator for this conversion?  Or do I have no choice but to order one specifically marketed as a 'conversion' radiator?  If so, who would you recommend ordering from?

I love my torque wrench. Deal with it.

12/12/2016 3:23 PM  #2

Re: ISO info on radiator for 1992 5.0 conversion into a 65 Mustang

You could take the stock radiator to a radiator shop and have them move the bottom outlet to the drivers side.

12/12/2016 3:40 PM  #3

Thanks, Hornman... that would definitely be a consideration..but I have to buy a radiator anyway.  I don't have the stock radiator.  I've searched to try to find a drop in substitute for this application, but apparently i'm not finding it because it doesn't exist.  I can buy radiators all day long for as little as $100 so to have to pay $300 for one ....eek...

12/12/2016 4:40 PM  #4

Deb;

​I found a 20" copper rad with the discharge on the left.  And later I found a 20" aluminum with the same configuration.  This does require a little bit of trimming to the core support but both fit and work well with the 5.0.  As I recall they were both right around the $230 mark.  The aluminum was the same one MS used to market, I think.  Got it at Virginia Classic Mustang.  The Copper 4-core came from NPD, as I recall and was made for the '69 small block.

I ended up using the aluminum unit and with a proper shroud, seven blade, and good fan clutch it works great...can't make it get hot.

​BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

12/12/2016 4:54 PM  #5

Deb
On your 5.0 conversion, are you sticking with the single serp belt set up?
What fan do you plan to use?

The reason I'm asking is in my 65 coupe, I am running a 92 5.0 Fox with the original serp set up.  I did get rid of the smog pump using a smog pump eliminator pulley.
As for a rad. Several years ago I bought a 20" alum rad from Steve for a 67/68 mustang, when he used to handle those and that's what I'm using now. These as the same as Virginia Mustang handles that BB mentioned above.  
I choose not to butcher my rad support and simply centered the rad and slightly bent the rad mounting side rails to the contour of the rad support. Four bolts later, it was installed.
Do to space limits with this setup, I couldn't use the Fox fan.  After research and the help of a salvage yard friend, I found that a clutch fan set up from a 85 full size bronco with at  351 would work.
Next was what upper / lower hoses to use?  I also solved that issue and would be glad to PM you the part numbers IF, your installation is similar to mine.
For now, I'm not going to run a shroud.....once it's on the road I'll reevaluate and see what happens. If I need one, I'll manufacture my own.
Hope this helps and let me know if I can help you more.........
JKB

Last edited by josh-kebob (12/12/2016 4:55 PM)

12/12/2016 5:43 PM  #6

Thanks Bob!  After searching around, I found a drop in conversion 3 row radiator from CJ PP for $260.  Since its pretty close to the price of the 20" you found, I think i'll go with it after all.  I was suffering sticker shock there for a bit!  I'm actually piecing together a Christmas gift for my son who I'm helping do this build.  I've never done a conversion before.

​Josh, thanks for the info about the smog pump..That was going to be our next question to search....and you answered it right there.  I assume there's a pulley kit available to do that?  If you have a secret part number for that..i'd love to have it.  As for the radiator hoses, I think I have resolved to use the 'conversion radiator' There's a set of hoses available for $50 so should I just use those?  I'll hold off ordering a while just in case I need to change it.

12/12/2016 5:57 PM  #7

Deb wrote:

Thanks Bob!  After searching around, I found a drop in conversion 3 row radiator from CJ PP for $260.  Since its pretty close to the price of the 20" you found, I think i'll go with it after all.  I was suffering sticker shock there for a bit!  I'm actually piecing together a Christmas gift for my son who I'm helping do this build.  I've never done a conversion before.

​Josh, thanks for the info about the smog pump..That was going to be our next question to search....and you answered it right there.  I assume there's a pulley kit available to do that?  If you have a secret part number for that..i'd love to have it.  As for the radiator hoses, I think I have resolved to use the 'conversion radiator' There's a set of hoses available for $50 so should I just use those?  I'll hold off ordering a while just in case I need to change it.

Try this, Deb.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=smog+pump+eliminator+kit+for+5.0+ford

​This will work with the HO single serpentine or the Standard 5.0 two belt system.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

12/12/2016 6:13 PM  #8

Or ditch the smog pulley altogether. Are you gunna be running A/C?

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

12/12/2016 6:18 PM  #9

Thanks Bob!

​50vert..yes sir.  we will be running air conditioning...

12/12/2016 6:31 PM  #10

Deb

Smog elim pulley I used is Ford Racing M-8604-A50.........

Late Model Restoration has them, as do others.
I remember doing a google search for that part number and got a better deal through Jet.com
As a first time customer with them, I got an additional 20 percent off plus free shipping.
You might get lucky like I did and get a similar deal. Or, what until we get closer to Christmas and check with CJ, etc because they all usually do holiday sales and this item might be had cheaper.

Or, as our Aussie friend suggests, just run a different belt and forget the engine ever had a smog pump...............he's a clever bugger isn't he!!!!

Hope this helps...

JKB

12/12/2016 6:52 PM  #11

It may not be the most attractive aluminum radiator, depending on your taste, but Jeg's has a 2-row starting at $176 on up to a HD 3-row for $228

http://www.jegs.com/i/Champion-Cooling-Systems/166/EC251/10002/-1

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

12/13/2016 12:08 AM  #12

josh-kebob wrote:

Or, as our Aussie friend suggests, just run a different belt and forget the engine ever had a smog pump...............he's a clever bugger isn't he!!!!

Josh .... you'd fit fit right in with all the hoons in Oz!!

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

12/13/2016 4:25 AM  #13

Deb, glad to see you and yours doing another Mustang.

Seems like the best setup is using the 70 Mustang radiator and original type fan shroud.  This is a 24" wide clamp-in style radiator and you won't ever have to worry about overheating.  Plus it looks all original.  This is not the cheapest way to get a radiator in there that fits, but best way in my opinion.
  See my big radiator modification page on the web site.  It shows a 20" and also a 24" like this.  All the 1970 V8 radiators have the lower hose on the driver side like you need.

This is in my 66.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/13/2016 8:29 AM  #14

50vert wrote:

josh-kebob wrote:

Josh .... you'd fit fit right in with all the hoons in Oz!!

Barry,
I'm ready to relocate to OZ.....and fit right in with my fellow hoons.....

12/13/2016 12:44 PM  #15

Ok.  I think I'll re-route the belt and go with the conversion radiator at least until the car is running. Then my son can decide if he wants to re-work it  with the MS method and sell the conversion radiator later.  Thanks for the diagram and the link,  Jeff and 50vert!

​This site hasn't changed a bit.  Thank you so much for all your help and suggestions!  Feel free to offer up any advice.  We plan to install the transmission over the weekend and get the motor at least cleaned up ready to go in the car.

12/13/2016 2:58 PM  #16

Deb, what exhaust manifolds/headers will you be using?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/15/2016 3:22 PM  #17

Hey Steve!

​I don't know yet..the exhaust is still in the attic. I'll ask Ross to look for it this afternoon and report back.

1/28/2019 5:52 PM  #18

josh-kebob wrote:

Deb
On your 5.0 conversion, are you sticking with the single serp belt set up?
What fan do you plan to use?

The reason I'm asking is in my 65 coupe, I am running a 92 5.0 Fox with the original serp set up.  I did get rid of the smog pump using a smog pump eliminator pulley.
As for a rad. Several years ago I bought a 20" alum rad from Steve for a 67/68 mustang, when he used to handle those and that's what I'm using now. These as the same as Virginia Mustang handles that BB mentioned above.  
I choose not to butcher my rad support and simply centered the rad and slightly bent the rad mounting side rails to the contour of the rad support. Four bolts later, it was installed.
Do to space limits with this setup, I couldn't use the Fox fan.  After research and the help of a salvage yard friend, I found that a clutch fan set up from a 85 full size bronco with at  351 would work.
Next was what upper / lower hoses to use?  I also solved that issue and would be glad to PM you the part numbers IF, your installation is similar to mine.
For now, I'm not going to run a shroud.....once it's on the road I'll reevaluate and see what happens. If I need one, I'll manufacture my own.
Hope this helps and let me know if I can help you more.........
JKB

Do you by any chance have pics of how you bent the rad mounting side rails to match up with the 65 mounting holes?

1/28/2019 7:38 PM  #19

pm sent

1/28/2019 9:27 PM  #20

Deb wrote:

Hey Steve!

​I don't know yet..the exhaust is still in the attic. I'll ask Ross to look for it this afternoon and report back.

Deb.  Good to see you back.  It's been a long time.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

1/28/2019 10:01 PM  #21

she posted that two years ago....

1/29/2019 12:45 AM  #22

Sorry.  I did not look at the dates.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.