| ||
| Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for: FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events |
Offline

Any one want to post some thoghts on their install of this system. I am interested in the type of pump ,hoses and install issues. I wonder about the fitment with "Tri-y" headers.
Of all the offerings they seem to have right stuff.
Their specs say 3 turns lock to lock, is it too sensitive?
Last edited by Rudi (7/15/2013 2:01 PM)
Offline

I have had one on my 66 since 2005. No problems once I figured out someone had messed with the bias screws on it. No leaks or looseness and you know I drive it alot. Only issue was the rack bellows dragged on the bottom of the COBRA aluminum oil pan. I think that was probably caused by the tranny sitting too low at the rear. (T5 with aftermarket x-member). Or maybe the pan was deeper at that point. My new tranny with engine at 3 degrees relative to the frame rail has the new steel pan up about 1/2" above the bellows.
Bumpsteer is non-existent.
It fits well and works great. You can change sensitivity by changing the pump orifice. I put in the smallest orifice, and it would probably be better if I went back a bit larger. I have an extra orifice that just might get installed when the pump gets bolted back onto the engine.
I highly recommend the circle track style pumps. I bought the aluminum KRC, but you don't have to go that route. For $199 you can buy an iron circle track pump and then get hoses and fittings from Grainger's to duplicate the kit TCP will ask $750 for. I would rather have th epump with integral reservoir, but those were not available when I got mine.
Only downside is the rack replaces the tubular engine crossmember. You can work around that by building a separate crossmember. TCP says the rack is stronger than the original x-member, but I do not see how it can function in that regard. Has not caused any problems though.
Last edited by MustangSteve (7/15/2013 7:14 PM)
Offline

Any idea how it would work with the O/E pump on a 68?
Offline

I actually ran mine with a pump from a 90 model fir a while, then changed it out when the pump became noisy. I do not know how much difference the 90 pump and the 68 pump have. I bet it would work fine, but that pump is way overkill for the rack. The older pump runs in bypass most of the time with a larger volume, hence the noise.
Offline

Thanks for that info Steve!
Where did you source the circle track pump from and is is that the same one that has a model with a integral reservoir?
Offline

When I installed my pump, I just bought the setup from TCP for a ridiculous price, thinking I would get hoses that were pre-made for the application. To my surprise, the kit came with hose end fittings and some lengths of hose to make up yourself. With that said, the local Grainger's industrial supply offers the same parts for the hoses.
Go to speedway.com or goodguys.com and check out their pumps. Nearly ALL of them have the two bolt mount like the KRC pump. There is even an iron cheaper version of the alumium KRC. There are other brands that also have the interchangeable orifices (most of them). I got the brackets from one of those two places for $45. I bought the 351W brackets for my 351W, but they did not fit as well as ones for a 289/302, so I used the 302 brackets. [url],4836.html[/url]
Or cut/paste the entire link below (it ends in 4836.html, in case it gets truncated as well)
,4836.html
I gotta get with Boardhost to find out why all the links get truncated. Sorry if those don't work... just go to speedway.com
It has been a while since I looked at those pumps, so there may be some new stuff now you may come across. But no matter what, you can get a better deal than the kit from KRC by shopping for individual parts.
The KRC pump I have has been on there for several years now, has gone on several long road trips, and never makes a hint of any noise, and I have never seen a drop of any kind of seepage from any seals or connections. It, or one similar to it, are definitley the way to go if using a rack.
| REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on. |