FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/15/2013 9:09 PM  #1


Power Brake Booster Rod and Brake Switch

1966 351W

Trying to work all the bugs out of my MS power brake/clutch cable install. I noticed that the brake lights are on all the time. I removed the switch and see that the part of the brake booster rod that rests against the switch is thicker than the original one I took off. The orginal one with the bushing installed measures 0.143" from the hole to the flat edge while the new one measures 0.222" from the hole to the flat edge. That difference is engaging the brake light switch. The only way I see to fix this is to remove the rod and grind the flat down to measure the same as the old one. Question I have is; can the power booster rod be removed from the diaphram without damaging something? Or is there a better way?


1966, vert, 347 stroker, T5z, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", EPAS
 

7/15/2013 9:18 PM  #2


Re: Power Brake Booster Rod and Brake Switch

The booster rod is not removable from the booster.  Do you have the black booster or the grey one?
This is the first I have heard of this problem occurring.


Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.
 

7/15/2013 9:20 PM  #3


Re: Power Brake Booster Rod and Brake Switch

MustangSteve wrote:

The booster rod is not removable from the booster.  Do you have the black booster or the grey one?
This is the first I have heard of this problem occurring.

I have the black booster.

Unfortunately I did not check before I installed. I suppose I could get my Dremel up under the dash and do it that way.


1966, vert, 347 stroker, T5z, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", EPAS
     •Thread Starter
 

7/16/2013 7:11 AM  #4


Re: Power Brake Booster Rod and Brake Switch

Sorry you are having that problem.  The dremel would work, but you might try installing a brake light switch from a 68 Mustang with power brakes.  I do not think the clearances are different, but they do have a different spring.  Also, be sure your brake light switch is not contacting the steering column tube.

I would offer to swap the booster out for another one, but I know you don't want to have to R&R it.


Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.
 

7/16/2013 6:10 PM  #5


Re: Power Brake Booster Rod and Brake Switch

Fixed, after about an hour of grinding on the rod and testing the switch it is working correctly now. Now I have to figure out how to get the kink out of my neck.


1966, vert, 347 stroker, T5z, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", EPAS
     •Thread Starter
 

7/16/2013 8:20 PM  #6


Re: Power Brake Booster Rod and Brake Switch

I think there is a chiropractor forum on a different station...  Glad you got it fixed.


Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.
 

7/16/2013 8:29 PM  #7


Re: Power Brake Booster Rod and Brake Switch

MustangSteve wrote:

I think there is a chiropractor forum on a different station...  Glad you got it fixed.

Pulling the steering wheel off made it a lot easier.

Last edited by KeithP (7/16/2013 8:29 PM)


1966, vert, 347 stroker, T5z, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", EPAS
     •Thread Starter
 

Board footera


REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.