FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/20/2013 7:26 AM  #1


SSBC power disk dual bowl conversion pedal travel and pressure

Did the SSBC dual bowl power booster conversion on my 66. I have 71 spindles and disks. I see from searching pedal travel seems to be a problem. I haven't found where it's been resolved. My brake pedal doesn't stop the car until it's about to the floor. The 66 originally have manual drums. Any suggestions on pedal travel? Also I've bled brakes several times and bench beld MS twice. Pedal is very weak. Are these two issues realted or do you think I still have air in the lines? Thanks for the help.
 

 

7/20/2013 7:53 AM  #2


Re: SSBC power disk dual bowl conversion pedal travel and pressure

I had a similar problem.  Was finally told that my master cylinder was bad even though it was new.  In my case I had purchased the brake system years prior to installation.  I didn't realize that they have a shelf life, but apparently they do (at least mine did).  Had to buy new MC because the warranty period had expired.  Installed and it works now. Good luck

 

7/20/2013 4:03 PM  #3


Re: SSBC power disk dual bowl conversion pedal travel and pressure

I used a brand new off the shelf (not reman) MS. It took a while to bench bleed it the first time. I wonder if it's the cause of my problems like yours. I'm not getting any air out of the bleeders. I guess its a $45 option to try.

     •Thread Starter
 

7/21/2013 7:38 AM  #4


Re: SSBC power disk dual bowl conversion pedal travel and pressure

I received (2) brand new defective master cylinders from a well known brake conversion supplier. I am guessing he got a bad batch of master cylinders from his supplier.  NOTE: Not Mustang Steve.  I finally bought a new master cylinder locally and that solved my problem.  New does not necessarily mean it will work properly.


Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe
 

Board footera


REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.