FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/29/2017 3:49 PM  #1

Brake issues after disc conversion

Hi
Have some trouble with the brakes on my car after disc / disc conversion.
As I bleed air, the pedal becomes hard and the brakes seem to work properly. Does not find any leakage either. When you start the car then the pedal drops a bit seems to be normal when you have a brake booster. But when driving, it seems that the brake only takes a little bit on the first 1/4 of the pedal stroke and then nothing happens (impossible to lock the wheels). Seems like it does not get more pressure than it gets at first 1/4 of the stroke. However, it feels like when you get up at higher speed, the brakes work better. Had trouble with a broken brake booster due to leakage so had to replace it with a new one so no more leakage in booster.

Vacuum related ? internal bleed trough in MC ? 

Does anyone have any idea?

Best regards Marcus

Mustang HT 1967
C4 trans
302 with .030 bore
Edelbrock carb and intake manifold
Edelbrock E-street heads
Howard cam
intake    Valve.lift .501    Duration 275
exhaust    Valve.lift .501    Duration 285

Mustang 2004 Cobra front brakes
Mustang GT rear brakes
Master cylinder PB-6.2
Booster kit PB - 6770
Proportioning valve PV-100-CHR

6/29/2017 9:46 PM  #2

Re: Brake issues after disc conversion

I have the GT 12.5" fronts with Explorer 11 (or so) rears.  5.0, EFI, AFR 165 heads, Comp XE 266 which has a little more timing than I think I want and 550 lift.  At my 6000' elevation it only pulls 9.5 inches at idle and at slow speed the brakes were very poor.  Coming down from speed it felt much better which indicated it wanted more vacuum.  After verifying that the most line pressure I was getting was 750 psi with the engine running,  I finally installed a mechanical vac pump which pulls 17.5 inches at this elevation and that made a huge difference and I was able to measure 1400 psi.  I have yet to make it lock the wheels but it seems to be right on the edge from about 40 mph.  Had it down at 1500 feet last week and didn't panic test it but it felt really good...very little pedal effort. 

Sounds like you may be experiencing the same issue.

And...welcome to the best place on the web.  Hope we can help and maybe you can make it to the annual bash some day...like this Oct. in Fort Walton Beach, FL.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (6/29/2017 9:48 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

6/30/2017 1:10 AM  #3

That makes sense if the mechanical vac pump would correct the pressure. Let us know

7/03/2017 12:37 PM  #4

Thank you for the reply Bullet Bob and mcfade. Tried with a vacuum tank (4" PVC pipe 😀) between the brake booster and the intake yesterday it made a big difference but not good enaugh. Will connect an electric vacuum pump (Hella UP28 from a Volvo) to also. Think it will work well.

Thank you for your welcome. There is a plan to visit the United States sometime in a few years. And then it would be fun to travel around a bit. So who knows 

Last edited by maxelsson (7/03/2017 2:31 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.