FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/04/2017 1:52 PM  #1

Power Steering control valve hoses.

This is for a 1965 V8.  Last week I was backing the Mustang into the garage and it dumped a huge load of power steering fluid on to the street.  I finally got around to getting under the car and cranking the wheel.  Fluid was prodigiosly squirting out the connection point of the upper hose, at the valve.  The nut was tight.  I removed the hose but could find no breaches in it and the flair looked perfect.

None the less, I set about to get a new hose.  No one had them in stock.  Autozone was able to get one the quickest so I ordered it.  It was wrong. It was too short and did not have the same bends in it.  They looked it up again and they showed another part number that stated the correct length.  It came in the next day. Again it was too short and did not have the right bends.

I then I went to CJPony. They had a Scott Drake pair that promised to be 'correct'.  The reviews were half terrible.  One of the reviewers who did like them said  "Don't forget to replace your HOSE SEATS also or you'll have leaks".

Considering my hose was leaking at the valve (not the flexible center) this statement made me perk up.  What is with  these "HOSE SEATS"?  Unfortunately I do not have a lift and the hose ports, in the valve, face inboard so it is a little difficult for me to get a clear picture of things.

Last edited by boomyal (7/04/2017 3:04 PM)

7/04/2017 4:26 PM  #2

Re: Power Steering control valve hoses.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

7/05/2017 6:23 AM  #3

Control valve and slave cylinder seats are the most overlooked items on a power steering assembly rebuild and are more times than not the source of leaks.  They are the main reason everybody tries to get away from the original power steering setup on early Mustangs.  Folks do not think the old system can be successfully rebuilt.
To do the job right, you really should remove the center link together with the slave cylinder and all four attached hoses.  Removing and replacing seats while the system is installed is maybe not possible (I have never tried it).  It is also a good time to inspect and replace all hoses, the rubber boot on the slave cylinder, install a fresh control valve seal kit as well as the slave cylinder ram seal kit if needed.  DO NOT overgrease the control valve assembly.  Two or three squirts is enough.  The return hose rubber line can be replaced, and the original return line metal end should be retained for best fitment.  Aftermarket replacements are just about unusable.  Any questions - mrmust@att.net
Best,
Al

Classic cars are full of surprises and almost none of them are good ones!

7/05/2017 10:21 AM  #4

I replaced the two control valve hoses 35 years ago.  I never gave a thought to 'hose seats' as I was not even aware of them. I assume that there are two of them located in the ram, as well.  I can now see that there is probably some 'crush' factor in the successful sealing of the hoses.  Reusing them, with new hoses with slightly different flared ends would not be able to fully take advantage of a fresh ';crush'.

The strange thing is, that after all these years, with relatively few miles, that one connection would fail so catastrophically.  In one small arc of a 90° backward turn, the system dumped the whole reservoir full of fluid on to the street.  Prior to that incident, there was never any sign of a leak.

Last edited by boomyal (7/05/2017 10:27 AM)

7/05/2017 12:37 PM  #5

I had a return hose blow on my car coming out of a cruise in. It blew fluid allover the headers and caught fire. Luckily I had a handy fire extinguisher on board and doused it before any damage.
 I cured any future hydraulic power steering issues by going to EPAS.

Last edited by Rudi (7/05/2017 2:10 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

7/05/2017 5:56 PM  #6

Rudi wrote:

I had a return hose blow on my car coming out of a cruise in. It blew fluid allover the headers and caught fire. Luckily I had a handy fire extinguisher on board and doused it before any damage.

Great idea on the fire extinguisher  I'll have to toss one in.
btw, I found a crack in the upper power steering valve hosed,.  You had to look real hard to find it. Now to find a hose that fits.

7/06/2017 6:57 AM  #7

boomyal wrote:

Rudi wrote:

Great idea on the fire extinguisher  I'll have to toss one in.
btw, I found a crack in the upper power steering valve hosed,.  You had to look real hard to find it. Now to find a hose that fits.

I keep fire extinguishers in all my vehicles, you never know when the need arises some instances for aid to someone else.
 Most sanctioned car show they are manditory, like in MCA shows.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.