FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/18/2016 6:50 AM  #1

my fastback 66 starting resto

Ok this is the beginnin of the story 

starting with power steering and all front end were reomoved
Under tons of tar i was looking for some rust and improper welding or damage .... but nothing !  metal is clean
some funny i have found is on the passenger side  on inside wheel wall were punched some numbers .... maybe production number .
on the other side on the frame there is written some numbers with yellow oil pencil like iron suppliers do.
this let me laughf thinking that after 50 years there is still trace of bare metal where come from ! 
for what i can see under the car  there is no rust at all and no welding or visible trace that someone put hands
i think that have seen rain seldom or never .....
one thing that leave me doubt is that is no residual valve on rear drum line
the other think is the vin nr punched on the color letter ( that should be nightmist blue )  as doortag says .
but until now there is no trace of blue under the red colored mustang
the rear axle was removed .
Now i am waiting tons of spare part coming from usa . 
it's all for now

9/18/2016 7:27 AM  #2

Re: my fastback 66 starting resto

Congratulations! You seem to have a very solid mustang which puts you ahead of the game. Good luck on your project.

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

12/11/2016 7:54 AM  #3

today aint got nothing to do ....

work in progress

Last edited by Alessandro (12/11/2016 8:23 AM)

12/28/2016 5:37 PM  #4

A great clean car to start from!
Those stamped numbers you're going to find all over, are the date that piece of sheet metal was made.
Good luck!

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

3/10/2017 12:05 PM  #5

some updates

going on with job , scratch till metal 

now is ready to go 

at the paint shop 

and this is my engine at the machine shop , nothing special to do , just clean and serviced with new spare.

That's all folks ! 

it's a long way if you wanna rock and roll ....

8/30/2017 5:23 PM  #6

time is passing and engine is done !   
but painters are taking it with a lot of ease !!!!       maybe in 3 weeks i can start rebuild all ! god will !

9/01/2017 8:40 AM  #7

Looks like you will be on the road soon. Keep us posted with your progress.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

9/06/2017 1:59 AM  #8

this should be the FORD  m32 j 1903A    or  RM A1780  
 ( this chip is paint with GLASURIT paint  brand name part of RM ) 
I know that make a pic from a mobile and put on a post , could change the color but i wanna try anyway.
this is NIGHTMIST BLUE 
IF someone knows this , put a tips before i do paint .... i am really not completely on this blue .
i am in the limbo of choosing color ....
original was nightmist blue , 
wimbledon white wit gt stripe  , is a turn head but not k code as in the data plate
inside will be total black with oem chrome and shiny parts

some suggestions ? 

9/08/2017 4:22 AM  #9

Any suggestion ....

9/08/2017 10:18 AM  #10

Paint color is a very personal choice, but you are asking for opinions.... I'll jump in...
I love the nightmist blue.  Blue is my favorite color.  My 65FB is wimbleton white.  In my opinion, it is a boring, dirty looking white.  If you are concerned about everything being original, go with the blue like the data plate. There is a Lexus/Toyota white from around 2010 that is a very bright white with lots of metallic fleck in it that I really like, when compared to the wimbleton white.  (you can always order a new data plate with anything you want on it). 

9/08/2017 10:53 AM  #11

TimC wrote:

Paint color is a very personal choice, but you are asking for opinions.... I'll jump in...
I love the nightmist blue.  Blue is my favorite color.  My 65FB is wimbleton white.  In my opinion, it is a boring, dirty looking white.  If you are concerned about everything being original, go with the blue like the data plate. There is a Lexus/Toyota white from around 2010 that is a very bright white with lots of metallic fleck in it that I really like, when compared to the wimbleton white.  (you can always order a new data plate with anything you want on it). 

Thanks tim ,  on my plans there is a sleeper so i think i will go for nmblue .
I choose black for trim and upholstery and in my mind is better than light blue like OEM.
I will stay a little aside from "everything original "  maybe a period correct .
Thanks for white tips .
Choosing the color is always a mess !

9/08/2017 4:17 PM  #12

Alessandro wrote:

this should be the FORD  m32 j 1903A    or  RM A1780  
 ( this chip is paint with GLASURIT paint  brand name part of RM ) 
I know that make a pic from a mobile and put on a post , could change the color but i wanna try anyway.
this is NIGHTMIST BLUE 
IF someone knows this , put a tips before i do paint .... i am really not completely on this blue .
i am in the limbo of choosing color ....
original was nightmist blue , 
wimbledon white wit gt stripe  , is a turn head but not k code as in the data plate
inside will be total black with oem chrome and shiny parts

some suggestions ? 

I'm partial to red but that's just me. I like the blue though. If not red I think the early Mustangs look best in the darker colors. Besides you don't want anyone over there mistaking your Mustang for a Farrari.lol

9/21/2017 8:24 AM  #13

Go for the bling!  Pick a color you like because you are the one who has to live with it.  I will say solids are easier to touch up if you get chips and scratches.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

9/22/2017 10:31 AM  #14

FINALLY   !!!!
paint is done  , this last two pics are with flash and one not . color is changing under the sun . inside is much more darker an you dont see the metallic but there is .
Now it's arrived the moment i was waiting from two years .  it's time to put all things togheter !
HAPPY NOW !!!!!

9/30/2017 4:31 PM  #15

isolation before headliner

headliner in place by myself. first timer 

some of the rear

the right tool make your life better !

job done by now . 

9/30/2017 4:45 PM  #16

You really are making some good progress. Did you say in your post on the forum that you are taking it to an alignment shop? I tried to align my 66 coupe at home but it just didn't work out. Not having the right equipment or patience just didn't help. I finally scheduled an alignment at a local race shop.
I'm really glad you went with the blue. I'm very partial to red cars, especially mustangs, see my car in the section, but that blue is really going to make your car stand out.

9/30/2017 5:25 PM  #17

LOOKING SOOOO GOOD, Alessandro.  Congrats on doing your own headliner.  I've done our coupe twice and I know what a challenge they can be, but now you know how to do one more thing yourself, and that's great.

Keep up the good work, you are going to be soooooo proud of that car!

Best,

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/12/2017 4:41 PM  #18

after all this job the car with oem springs is sitting too high , also with 1 inch shelby drop...
now the engine is in so wheight is working but for me is very high . what you see is more or less 4 inch.

also on the rear is sitting high.
i have new koni shocks front and rear but i dont think is the cause of this high sit .

cut the front spring or buy a new set ,?  And on the rear what i can do ?

any suggestion is welcome . 
more pics of rebuilding 

Last edited by Alessandro (10/12/2017 4:44 PM)

10/12/2017 6:10 PM  #19

WOW! you are getting that thing together FAST!  Looks great!

On the ride height, that car needs to get a few miles on it to let the suspension to settle in.  One warning.... on the lower control arms, the bolts that hold the LCA's should be torqued down with the car on the ground.  If the car is up in the air with the front wheels hanging when the LCA's are torqued, the LCA's will bind, and the bushings will be damaged when you drive the car.  Binding LCA's can also raise the ride height.

10/22/2017 9:14 AM  #20

Alessandro,

your ride heighth in the rear can be corrected using Grab-A-Track reverse eye 4 1/2 leaf springs.  The front can be addressed by your spring selection.  Mr. Gas 1" drop progressive springs have been used many times with success.  There is definitely something wrong with the springs you currently have installed.  Are you sure the Shelby mod holes are down and back from the original holes for the upper control arms?

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

10/22/2017 11:27 AM  #21

almcgee wrote:

Alessandro,

your ride heighth in the rear can be corrected using Grab-A-Track reverse eye 4 1/2 leaf springs.  The front can be addressed by your spring selection.  Mr. Gas 1" drop progressive springs have been used many times with success.  There is definitely something wrong with the springs you currently have installed.  Are you sure the Shelby mod holes are down and back from the original holes for the upper control arms?

thanks AL ,
yes  1 down 1/8 back .  I have a lot to do before roll the car . I suppose the unknown springs cause me this problems 

10/23/2017 12:13 PM  #22

hands down on transmission all day long to let it in . it was a challenge build a hanger from scratch to hold in place . The cherry picker and some tubes weld help me but alone is difficult .  I use the wheight of engine to tilt it back just a little to match the trans with the same angle , third time went in  !  i can 't believe when went in so easy ! fixed bolt by hands and tight , then put the crossmenber with some spacer ( waiting the mount ) 

now its time to solve the problem with slip joke and driveshaft !! 
Hope is going all good because thinking to dissassemble it again make me nervous !!

1/22/2018 10:21 AM  #23

the job is quite at the end .... these are last shot !
just some things to fix and next week i can go to the alignment shop for last work , then i can ride it for first time after two years-  .
Now i got to understand some feedback from the whole assembing . brake , suspension, and engine.
I got parts like clutch an brakes that seems have some break in to do before start working well .

1/22/2018 3:54 PM  #24

very nice.........and thank you for all the updates

1/22/2018 8:17 PM  #25

Nice job.  The car looks great!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.