FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/14/2017 9:52 PM  #1

Does any one have dimmable LED bulbs....

....in their horizontal speedo instrument cluster?....and if so, who was the supplier?  I spoke with Mustang Project today and they said theirs were not.  On the HiPo LED website, they claim that theirs are, on most systems.  I have not spoken to them yet as it was too late in the day to call them.  My OEM bulbs are anemic, even at full rheostat.

8/15/2017 4:16 PM  #2

Re: Does any one have dimmable LED bulbs....

I have Hipo parts LED lights in my cluster.  I LOVE THEM. They are somewhat dimmable. Not as dimmable as stock bulbs, but adequate. The factory color bulbs are excellent and bright.  Get the brightest bulbs they offer. The Elite series.  I tried others and was disappointed.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

8/21/2017 7:13 AM  #3

I saw this post and remembered that I bought a bag of LED bulbs off of ebay way back to use in the Mustang convertible dash, then lost track of them.   I found them yesterday.  I had taken them out of their package and put them in a baggie... anyways I got one out and crawled under the dash of the Galaxie convertible and pulled the socket out of the clock and whatever these brand of LED bulbs are it brightens and dims fine.   So that means they are out there to be found.   That said, I do not have the packaging.  I can take a picture of what it looks like, if you want,  and I will do some research through my ebay feedback and see if I can figure out where I got them from.    

I have enough of them, I liked it so much, I am going to change out and put them in the Galaxie dash.   

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

8/21/2017 11:14 AM  #4

I dug through my feedback.  They are BA9s bulbs and I got them from memotronics_llc   seller on ebay.  Blueish light.  

I know one thing about the 1985 bulbs.  They are very expensive at the auto parts stores now.   I had just bought a bulk pack of them for the Galaxie from Rock Auto.    I pulled the dash back out and put led in the turn signals, and dash lights.  I left 1895 bulbs in the HB, and warning lights.   

Style Like these: 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-Ford-White-BRIGHT-White-5-LED-12v-Instrument-Panel-Clock-Light-Bulb-NOS-/271320005344?hash=item3f2beebae0:g:iE8AAMXQuu9Rmm~n&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Greg B (8/21/2017 3:35 PM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

8/21/2017 2:57 PM  #5

Have you tried superbrightleds.com

They have some great stuff and good info on their sight.  I have an 82 GT and am on some sights for the fox bodies.  Lots of guys only have great things to say about them. Am going to use them when I do my dash lights.

8/22/2017 7:28 AM  #6

Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always time to do it over!

9/07/2017 10:58 AM  #7

Greg B wrote:

... anyways I got one out and crawled under the dash of the Galaxie convertible and pulled the socket out of the clock and whatever these brand of LED bulbs are it brightens and dims fine.   So that means they are out there to be found.      

I have found that the more LED bulbs you put in, the LESS dimmable they become.  Since LEDs use far less energy it takes much MORE energy loss to dim them.  An incandescent bulb or two in the line helps dim-ability a lot. 

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

9/07/2017 6:18 PM  #8

A question comes to mind.  Do the instrument lights run off of  full 12 volts?... or do they run thru the same voltage reducer as the instruments themselves?

9/07/2017 6:42 PM  #9

boomyal wrote:

A question comes to mind.  Do the instrument lights run off of  full 12 volts?... or do they run thru the same voltage reducer as the instruments themselves?

The IVR is for gauges only, all incandescant bulbs are 12v.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.