FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/31/2017 8:24 PM  #1

A/C Question I am looking at replacing the factory A/C on the 70.

Which vendors have all of you used and how happy are you with the results? I am looking at Vintage air.

11/01/2017 2:06 AM  #2

Re: A/C Question I am looking at replacing the factory A/C on the 70.

Hi , in this days i set up vintage air in my fastbach 66 .
On my side i got to say that i have the car from paint shop so i could work with nothing in car.
I worked slow and do it step by step and i take 4 days to finish .
The power steering pump bracket ( if you have it ) waste me some time ..
Follow the well done istruction and you will be happy .
Pictures say much more than word and sometimes is needed attention in little details .
Maybe is missing a sort of brief or a " start with this " , because everything is divided in group .
Evaporator , pipes, compressor , inside unit , electric .
At the end is quite invisibile and easy .

What went wrong :  they send me a wrong pipe , but with one email and pics they ship to me the correct one in zero time . A great custom service that listen to you and solve problem.

In my opinion the size of pipes that send fresh air in vents are too big to be managed under dash .
Under dash final set up is a terrible job in a unconfortable position lay down under it
From the unit the air is divided in 4 pipes + 2 for defrost.
This 4 pipes are looking all at driver side , also if they have to be routed on left .
So routng the pipe to the new vents is not the top .

Dont forget to do the wipers BEFORE beginning if you like me have the car dismsntled .

Now ac is not running cause i got to finish other jobs , but i trust will be chilly !
I can tell you later !
Ciao

11/01/2017 5:17 AM  #3

Bought mine through Jegs. Had one of the pre-bent tubes that was damaged and they replaced it without issue or arguments.

Still installing and so far the only thing I didn't like about the instructions was the plate to block off fresh air on passenger side. It's supposed to be secured with 3 self taping screws through the bottom of the cowl using a sealer or silicone on them. NOT THIS GUY. I have an issue with running screws through an area that can leak water, especially when I went through the expense to replace the upper and lower cowl. I cut a circle from thin sheet metal, bent a lip on it for strength and to help it stay in place, painted, then stuffed it through the hole, and secured with a toggle bolt. Ran an ear of sealer around the inside.

Last edited by Bolted to Floor (11/01/2017 5:18 AM)

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

11/01/2017 6:39 AM  #4

70 Coupe wrote:

Which vendors have all of you used and how happy are you with the results? I am looking at Vintage air.

Vintage Air...installed it in my 70 Mach 1 and 67FB ...excellent unit...highly recommended.......jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

11/01/2017 7:03 AM  #5

I installed a Vintage Air Gen 4 unit in the 66 last winter.  I gave it a good shake-down last summer when I drove to Las Vegas in the middle of their 120 degree heat wave.  Setting on I-15 for a half hour and driving the surface streets I will say that it didn't freeze me out, but it did keep me from melting so I'd give it a thumbs-up.
A month ago it kept us very comfy with cool and heat on the Bash trip.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/01/2017 7:25 AM  #6

I used Classic Auto Air's Perfect Fit system, and I've been very happy with it.
I know quite a few guys that have used Vintage Air systems and have been happy with them too.

11/01/2017 12:23 PM  #7

Bolted to Floor wrote:

so far the only thing I didn't like about the instructions was the plate to block off fresh air on passenger side. It's supposed to be secured with 3 self taping screws through the bottom of the cowl using a sealer or silicone on them. NOT THIS GUY. I have an issue with running screws through an area that can leak water, especially when I went through the expense to replace the upper and lower cowl.

I hear you on that Bolted! NO WAY IN HELL I am going to drill holes in my cowl after all the time I spent replacing it.

Thanks for the replies guys it looks like two choices Vintage or Classic so I will have to weigh out the slight differences between the two and make a decision.

70 Coupe.

11/01/2017 2:07 PM  #8

Don't know how Classic does it but I love the resistive slider control system that Vintage uses on the Gen 4. 

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/01/2017 5:14 PM  #9

Bullet Bob wrote:

Don't know how Classic does it but I love the resistive slider control system that Vintage uses on the Gen 4. 

BB

I kept the original control levers....all electric NO vacuum lines......jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

11/01/2017 5:17 PM  #10

I had quite a few 70 Mustangs with factory air.  I thought they all worked great.  But that was years ago.  Maybe parts are hard to get now or something?  I can understand replacing the condenser and the compressor, but other than that, I always though the OEM version worked quite well in the 69-70 Mustangs.  Is yours missing some critical parts or something?

Last edited by MS (11/01/2017 5:18 PM)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/01/2017 7:21 PM  #11

MS wrote:

I had quite a few 70 Mustangs with factory air.  I thought they all worked great.  But that was years ago.  Maybe parts are hard to get now or something?  I can understand replacing the condenser and the compressor, but other than that, I always though the OEM version worked quite well in the 69-70 Mustangs.  Is yours missing some critical parts or something?

Yes MS missing parts, cut lines, evap box filled with mouse droppings. I figure it would cost about the same amount to fix the OEM 47yr old system as it would to update it.

11/01/2017 8:13 PM  #12

I'm going to be removing mine or part of it before the next bash. I removed it several years ago, cleaned it up and put it back in. I don't know why. I'm doing it again because the foam seals are falling apart and the drain tube nipple is broken. I've converted it to R134a and am running the original evaporator in it but every thing else has been changed using Old Air Products parts. It froze us out on the bash trip when the condenser wasn't froze up. I have questions about that.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

11/02/2017 5:18 AM  #13

Bullet Bob wrote:

BB

I can not agree about that .  Ok if keep the original control but resistive slider are made of  plastic and could be broken easy or bend with all that stuff under the dash .   Vintage could do better or stronger this part. IMO 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.