FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/08/2017 12:24 AM  #1

Standard radiator life span

Can anyone give me their opinion on what they think would be the life span for a standard radiator? I purchased my current one from NPD in about 2002. Still seems to be ok, but I have been wondering.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

7/08/2017 4:29 AM  #2

Re: Standard radiator life span

Depends on construction.  Copper/brass radiators properly maintained should last forever.  If they do develop a leak you can just get them repaired, recored, etc. for less than the cost of a new one.  There are still a few radiator shops around that can do that kind of thing. 

The plastic tank/aluminum radiators used in new cars last about 7-10 years before the epoxy holding the tanks on fails and they leak.  They cannot be fixed, so you just replace them. 

7/08/2017 8:40 PM  #3

Thanks for the post.
I believe that mine is the copper core and metal top and bottom tank. Either a rebuilt original or a reproduction.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

7/09/2017 6:15 AM  #4

Yep, the old style ones were copper core with brass tanks.  The core is fully lead soldered to the tanks.  These hold up very well.  Keep the coolant fresh and don't poke any holes in it and it should live forever. 

7/09/2017 4:13 PM  #5

Out of curiosity I went to the garage to see the date etched into the top tank of my 66's radiator since I remember one being there.  9-1-89.  From a radiator shop long since gone.  The radiator has been holding coolant since that time through periods of running and not-running.  The heater core recently perforated through and, alas, the replacement is aluminum.  We'll see how she does.

Last edited by Muzz 66 (7/09/2017 4:15 PM)

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

7/09/2017 7:29 PM  #6

Ugh, I hate that so many of them now are aluminum.  I had to use one of those in my '89 GT, but I couldn't trust the nearly 30 years old stock one, and I already had the heater box out of the car, so it was the right time.  With the car back together its like an 8 hour job, and not a fun one at that. 

7/09/2017 9:21 PM  #7

TKOPerformance wrote:

Yep, the old style ones were copper core with brass tanks.  The core is fully lead soldered to the tanks.  These hold up very well.  Keep the coolant fresh and don't poke any holes in it and it should live forever. 

Thanks TKO!
I will probably give it and the engine block a complete flush next time I service it.

11/24/2017 8:22 AM  #8

I am noticing the temp gauge creep up more and more when I am stuck in traffic or in a fast food drive through. Radiator is nearly 15 years old and seems good, so is it a matter of just flushing out the system, replacing thermostat and adding new coolant?
I am sure that my radiator is a two row core.

11/24/2017 11:26 AM  #9

Well, according to my original radiator, which was in my car until recently when I upgraded to handle the heat of southern summers... over 50 years! It was working just fine when I took it out. Just figured it wouldn't do such a hot job of dealing with the extra accessories (PS / AC) as well as the extra heat (NC / TX summer) so I swapped it out.

"Calamity Jane" - Insane road warrior powered by hopes and dreams and piloted by an idiot.

11/24/2017 2:54 PM  #10

Kelly_H wrote:

Well, according to my original radiator, which was in my car until recently when I upgraded to handle the heat of southern summers... over 50 years! It was working just fine when I took it out. Just figured it wouldn't do such a hot job of dealing with the extra accessories (PS / AC) as well as the extra heat (NC / TX summer) so I swapped it out.

Fair enough. What radiator did you go with?
How good are two row cores? Can I take mine in to be modified, or is it a whole new radiator?

11/25/2017 11:00 AM  #11

Two row cores are good, so long as they are aluminum.  In my experience two row copper/brass radiators don't reject enough heat.  Its just the difference between the two materials.  As far as common metals go aluminum rejects heat better than anything else.  Its also a good deal lighter.

I'm still running a three row copper/brass unit I bought maybe 15-17 year ago.  With the electric fan it does just fine.  Even drove it one night when it was still in the 90s and very high humidity just to see how it did an it never got over 205 degrees.  No AC though, and I suspect that would easily bump up the temperature 15 degrees, but still not that hot given boil over is around 240 degrees with standard system pressure and 50/50 antifreeze/water for coolant. 

There are four row copper/brass radiators.  I've never tried one, but from what I hear they may actually be worse than the three row because the cores in the middle get limited airflow and can't reject heat very well. 

11/26/2017 2:24 AM  #12

Thanks TKO
I checked my radiator out and it is coming up on 15 years with no signs of any problems, so I think I will flush it, add new coolant, fit a shroud and a 5 blade fan. Hopefully this will help things out for when the days are hot and I get stuck in traffic.

11/27/2017 5:54 AM  #13

A proper shroud and fan makes a lot of difference.  These cars were built in a time when traffic really didn't exist.  A lot of the airflow used to keep them cool was supposed to be flowing through the grille and radiator because the car was in motion most of the time.  Today, with how congested the roads have gotten we are stopping more and often traveling at lower speeds between stops.

Cooling system upgrades are basically a necessity. 

11/28/2017 6:47 PM  #14

For added insurance, install Evans waterless coolant.  Install it and forget it.  No more leaking radiators or heater cores.  No more having to change coolant that has hardly been used, to get rid of coolant turned acidic.
https://www.evanscoolant.com/videos/jay-leno39s-garage/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzIzN-7_i1wIVl5d-Ch2nFAJGEAAYASAAEgISDfD_BwE

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.