FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/26/2018 9:35 PM  #1

It's been a while!

Hello to everyone in the forum. I'm from Enid, Oklahoma and it has been a few years since I posted anything here but I'm building a 65 fastback and it is coming out of the body shop next month and I need a few things and you guys were always a tremendous help and resource.. MustangSteve, on my last car I really liked your 13" in Cobra dixc brake set up and clutch pedal, probably gonna need that kit again, unless you got something that is new and improved. I need a good 9" traclock with 3.73 gears, tremec world class transmission, King Cobra clutch, so if anyone has any of this, I'm interested. I'm figuring the 9" is out of the question, but thought I would put it out there, never know. Thanks, guys!

1/27/2018 7:21 AM  #2

Re: It's been a while!

When you say Tremec World Class transmission do you mean a T5? 

1/27/2018 7:51 AM  #3

Yes, thank you!!

1/27/2018 6:37 PM  #4

You might consider an 8.8.  reasonably cheap, easy to set up and easy enough to narrow for the 65.  Once narrowed, an Explorer 8.8 is 1/2" narrower than the stock 8".  Also if you get a 96+ you get disc brakes, though I'm not crazy about the P-brake setup on those.  If you decide to go that route and want to do your own narrowing work I will gladly loan you the straightening jig I whupped up.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/27/2018 7:54 PM  #5

Bob, I like you're thinking, kid in El Reno Oklahoma built a nice 65 FB car and he used an 8.8. I would be interested in going this route.So where should I begin.,  I appreciate your help.

1/27/2018 8:42 PM  #6

I have an Explorer 8.8 locking rear with 3:73 gears, disk brakes....
I also have a tremec world class T5 that was professionally rebuilt by Glen B.....sitting on the shelf in my shop
Let me know if you're interested in these parts...

I'm just a semi short drive south of you on Hwy 81......

Last edited by josh-kebob (1/29/2018 9:15 AM)

1/27/2018 9:45 PM  #7

Well, there ya go.  Cut the excess crapo offa that 8.8, cut the left tube off square about 2" from where it's pressed into the center section, cut 2.875" (2 7/8) off of the tube, weld it back onto the stub making sure its aligned perfectly with the index mark you made before cutting it off.  Use my alignment/straightening jig to line it up before welding and to do a little heat straightening after welding.  Weld on some properly spaced and indexed spring perches, add some 4.5 leaf springs.   Buy some new bearings, clutches, and misc. parts when you put the gears back in.....good to go.  I rebuilt mine completely without new gears but with all new brgs, seals rotors and discs.  Did all the cutting, indexing, tack welding and straightening and re-assembly/gear setup myself and had a certified welder good friend do the finish welding.  All together including buying the boneyard axle and a 5th of Southern Comfort for the welder I have $750 in it.  3.55 trac-Loc.  Watch some You Tube vids...It really isn't too difficult.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/29/2018 6:41 AM  #8

BB, You are the man.

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

1/29/2018 7:41 AM  #9

Not hardly, BBII.  I just got fed up with chasing snipes in the 8".  And I can't pass up a project/learning experience.

Good to see you back here.  Building power plants, huh?  I never built one but I dispatched the output from them for many years.

BB

2/04/2018 11:23 PM  #10

Terry, you have a pm about the king cobra clutch.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.