FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/06/2018 3:14 PM  #1

Cylinder Heads 351 Windsor

Hello,just want to know if it possible to mount cylinder heads from an 1969 Mach one 351 Windsor on an 302 bloc and want to know the what to do.
Due differents problem on my 289 CI ( vibration,over heating),I'am looking to built a new motor "a la carte"  in an power range off +/- 325 horse power.It's verry difficult here in Belgium to findt parts,good mechanics and technical info's.
It will not be an easy task,but I'll try to have some good informations & advises to help me to it.I shell need a lot of information and certainely ask it on this site
Sincerely Freddy

2/06/2018 4:00 PM  #2

Re: Cylinder Heads 351 Windsor

Yes, its a straight bolt on.
Since the combustion chambers on the 351 heads are larger than the chambers on the 289......the compression will  be very low using the 351 heads.
If you plan to super charge the engine the compression will be fine but......if you don't then the heads need to be machined(milled) down. Unless the 351 heads are in "excellent" condition...after market heads could cost about the same.
IF the 289 heads are not damaged...why not just use them?   Stronger camshaft.......hi-rise intake with bigger carburetor ....headers  could get you close to 325 hp. 
The valve springs, retainers, etc. will need to be change with either heads for the camshaft to perform correctly.
Better gear ratio in the differential will be needed to get the performance you want....using  a high performance camshaft and better breathing.
Can you do any of the work yourself?
Welcome to the board BTW
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/06/2018 4:10 PM  #3

I think the coolant passages in the two heads are a little different, so you may have to account for that.  I ran in to that problem when using GTG40P heads on my older 302.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

2/06/2018 4:22 PM  #4

I was going to mention also that the intake manifold gaskets might be different depending on the year of the heads because of the shape of the coolant passage in the heads. Other than that the heads should bolt right on. Another thing to be mindful of is style of rocker arms, I think the 289's and the 69 351 heads will use stud mount rockers some of the newer stuff is bolt down rocker assemblies and just make sure the rocker studs are the same diameter between the 289's and 351W heads or you will be buying different rocker arms also.

2/06/2018 4:35 PM  #5

351w use 1/2 head bolts, so you'll need to round up some adapters

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-51400419/overview/

2/06/2018 4:59 PM  #6

Be sure to get the correct FORD head gasket to match the water ports...we just put a set of 351W heads on a 260...with 3 twos...

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

2/06/2018 5:09 PM  #7

Besides having larger combustion chambers the 351W have the same size exhaust port as the 289 and don't flow any better despite having a bigger exhaust valve. While the 351W does have a larger intake port and valve, you're still stuck with the same 289 size intake manifold and smaller runners that will be a restriction. A little clean up n the exhaust ports and smoothing out sharp edges on both intake and exhaust ports on the 289 heads is what I would do. That'll make a noticeable difference.

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

2/06/2018 8:53 PM  #8

Water passages between the head and block are the same. so no problem with head gaskets.  Intake gaskets MUST be for a 69 351W as the port is shaped a little different.  See the article on the MustangSteve site on how to install an intake manifold. https://www.mustangsteve.com/intake.html  It shows the port differences.

Use flat top pistons for sure as 6sally6 said - 69 351W heads have 60cc combustion chambers, which is same as if you installed Edelbrock heads having 60cc chambers.

If you use the 69 heads, be sure to install screw-in type rocker studs.  The pressed in studs are prone to pulling out.

Don't expect much HP increase unless you also bump up compression and do some porting on the heads.  They are better flowing than 289 or 302, but the compression decrease can easily offset any flow increase.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/08/2018 2:26 PM  #9

Bien,bien,Thanks a lot for all the informations.I've got more info about the 69 heads,it has double valves spring,inlet valve diam.1,84,exhaust valve 1,78 & combustion chambers 60 cc.
It's maybe more raisonable to order a  crate engine to avoid a lot of misery.
Have some guys experience with Bleu Print Engines ?They have a wide choice off motors in many configurations.I''l think to chose 1 not complete,and complete it here in Belgium.I've seen on TV(Discovery Channel)the brand FITECH,injection system mounted on V8,any ffedback for this system,think to mounted on the crate engine that I'll will buy.Is it a good plan?
Thanks a lot,Freddy

2/08/2018 10:15 PM  #10

I'm pretty sure there were differences between the steam holes in the 289 and 302 blocks, so I assumed that carried over to the 351 blocks.  Relatedly, when I put GT 40P heads on my 302 I had to plug the steam holes in the block and drill new ones to match those in the heads.

MS wrote:

Water passages between the head and block are the same. so no problem with head gaskets.  Intake gaskets MUST be for a 69 351W as the port is shaped a little different.  See the article on the MustangSteve site on how to install an intake manifold. https://www.mustangsteve.com/intake.html  It shows the port differences.

Use flat top pistons for sure as 6sally6 said - 69 351W heads have 60cc combustion chambers, which is same as if you installed Edelbrock heads having 60cc chambers.

If you use the 69 heads, be sure to install screw-in type rocker studs.  The pressed in studs are prone to pulling out.

Don't expect much HP increase unless you also bump up compression and do some porting on the heads.  They are better flowing than 289 or 302, but the compression decrease can easily offset any flow increase.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

2/09/2018 9:51 AM  #11

A crate motor may indeed be a more simply approach to your situation.  Without a good supply of swap meet parts you  would be hard pressed to "build-one-cheaper".
Be sure and check Summit's prices on crate motors. I have found they are usually less expensive on almost everything automotive. Great selection too.  Also look at Skip White's selection of crate motors and prices. I have no personal experience with Skip White(other than an alternator) but have read several reports on the internet of  satisfied customers.
Yes............if I were in Belgium ...I would opt for the crate engine option.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/10/2018 2:34 PM  #12

6sally6 wrote:

A crate motor may indeed be a more simply approach to your situation.  Without a good supply of swap meet parts you  would be hard pressed to "build-one-cheaper".
Be sure and check Summit's prices on crate motors. I have found they are usually less expensive on almost everything automotive. Great selection too.  Also look at Skip White's selection of crate motors and prices. I have no personal experience with Skip White(other than an alternator) but have read several reports on the internet of  satisfied customers.
Yes............if I were in Belgium ...I would opt for the crate engine option.
6sally6

Very wise recommendation....I second the motion....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

2/13/2018 3:15 PM  #13

Beware of crate motors filled with the latest Chinese version of your favorite parts.  I prefer to build my own so I know exactly what I have.
Now, I know I have a busted lifter ! 

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/13/2018 11:50 PM  #14

MS wrote:

Beware of crate motors filled with the latest Chinese version of your favorite parts.  I prefer to build my own so I know exactly what I have.
Now, I know I have a busted lifter ! 

I agree with getting a crate motor.  However, get one from a very responsible/quality builder like Ford Racing or Edelbrock.  a 331 cu in would be my recommendation- more longivity.  350hp is easy and all of your 289 brackets, etc will fit.

​You can use your existing oil pan, too.  351's require a different pan that may not fit your car if it did not come from a Mustang.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.