FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/05/2013 12:00 PM  #1

If I get a welder to fix my pedal support... What should I get?

I have a number of projects coming up on both my 65 mustang and my 65 dart. I think enough that it justifies buying a welder. So my question is this. I've got about $300 to spend on a welder.

Is this a good deal? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Campbell-Hausfeld-115V-MIG-Flux-Core-Wire-Feed-Welder-WG202000RB-/390560209162?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aef33d90a

65 Vert (UCA mod,4bbl, hipo ex, 17x8), 2013 C-Max (hitch & cargo net), 2018 Cherokee (In bumper hitch)

4/05/2013 12:05 PM  #2

Re: If I get a welder to fix my pedal support... What should I get?

What about the same welder, but as a flux core only... $150 bucks?

65 Vert (UCA mod,4bbl, hipo ex, 17x8), 2013 C-Max (hitch & cargo net), 2018 Cherokee (In bumper hitch)

4/05/2013 12:19 PM  #3

I have a welder I got from Tractor Farm Supply.. think I spent $400 on it.  it does both flux and gas.  Nice to have both, but I find my self using the flux 90% of the time.  Works fine.  Granted I'm not a super welder.  I think in the case of welders, you should get the best one you can afford.  I've heard some good things about some of the HF ones but haven't used them my self.

4/05/2013 2:35 PM  #4

I personally would not but flux core only, especially on body panels.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/05/2013 2:43 PM  #5

Does the welder in the link seem like a decent one to get? 

4/05/2013 3:23 PM  #6

It's your money but a flux core welder is not going to make as good a weld on thin sheet metal as a gas shielded welder. Flux core will make a "dirtier" weld than one that is gas shielded.

Flux core will generally require more dressing up of the welds afterwards and is more prone to blowing through a thin panel.

If you can save up $200-$300 more dollars, you can get a much better, more versatile and much better quality gas shielded MIG that you will probably be much happier with.

...the old adage about, "you get what you pay for" can easily apply here.

4/05/2013 3:37 PM  #7

I agree with ultra.  Wait and get one that has higher amperage capability.  You might not need it to repair a pedal assembly, but if you ever have to make a bracket or something like that, you will want more power.  For the price, that one would probably do most stuff on a Mustang, though.

Also consider...  Go to your l ocal store where you will be buying your replacement tips and nozzles for your welder.  BUY WAHTEVER WELDER MATCHES THE AVAILABLE PARTS, as long as it is a name brand.  Then when you need stuff, you can just go get it easily.

Kind of like when I pick out a printer...  They ALL print.  I want the one with the cheapest ink cartridges!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/05/2013 4:05 PM  #8

More power... got it. I do have a 220 outlet. And the local store does support Clark, does that qualify as a brand name?
What about Clarke WE6527 240 Volt MIG/Fluxcore Welder? Its Flux and MIG. My only concern with 240v systems is; Are the outlets universal? I noticed my dryer has a 3 prong outlet. And do they make extension cords?

Last edited by JeffK (4/05/2013 4:06 PM)

4/05/2013 4:25 PM  #9

220 is usually used with bigger welders,meaning....more amps for welding heavier material. Nice butt....how many times you gonna need to weld up something 3/8" or bigger? I found that a 110 is good for anything you need to weld on a car.
DON'T get a stick machine(why ya think they call it "stick" welding?!) Aggrevating to weld with without A LOT of practice+ you just can't turn them down low enough to weld thin panels without the rod sticking all the time.
DON'T get a flux core machine without gas coverage. Read Ultrastangs post..
Good friend loaned me his machine made by...Blue Point..
Sweeet welding machine in all positions. It will do everything you need it to do on an auto and heavier stuff too. Mig/flux core WITH gas coverage. Uses Cargon mixture.
Get one of those "fancy-smancy" auto darkening sheilds too,if you are just starting out. Really helps when just learning how.
You chew tobacco/dip snuff? Gotta do that if you ever hope to be a REAL welder!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/06/2013 10:44 PM  #10

JeffK wrote:

More power... got it. I do have a 220 outlet. And the local store does support Clark, does that qualify as a brand name?
What about Clarke WE6527 240 Volt MIG/Fluxcore Welder? Its Flux and MIG. My only concern with 240v systems is; Are the outlets universal? I noticed my dryer has a 3 prong outlet. And do they make extension cords?

Im using my Lincoln with a 3-prong 'dryer outlet.' You can make your own extension/adaptor cord with materials available from Home Depot.

I'd stick to Lincoln, Miller or Hobart.

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

4/07/2013 4:22 PM  #11

I have a small Lincoln weld pak 100 that I converted to gas. it's a great little machine. I wouldn't build a frame or weld up an ifs with it, but it does great on sheetmetal and exhaust, and I've done 1/8" plate with it.

4/07/2013 5:13 PM  #12

I replaced a HF 151 220 volt with a Hobart 140 110 volt.  The Hobart is superiror.  Stick with the big 3 as Jeff in Ga said.

66 coupe, Now a 11 year garage ornament.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.