FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/17/2017 7:09 PM  #1

Daily 66 super sleeper

Hi there!

Let me introduce my daily 66 coupe super sleeper

it had a dying 302 and a dying top loader when I found it 2 1/2 years ago... since then it has been upgraded:

Engine: I rebuilt the 302 saving the crank and rods (machined and checked), 1 sleeve replaced, hypereutectic pistons, AFR 165 heads with 58cc chamber, Comp "Nostalgia plus" cam, roller rockers, Edy RPM intake, QuickFuel 580cfm, Dougs 3Y, MSD 6AL, underdrive pulleys (CVS), 2.5" lines.
Transmission: rebuilt T5 from a Foxbody, Fox bell house, 9" rear end, Torsen, 3.50 gears.
Wheels: 15x7 Magnums with 225s
Brakes: booster, double bowl, proportioning valve, front brakes from SSBC, rear brakes from a 96 explorer.
Suspension: upper and lower arms and strut from GlobalWest, QA1 shocks, subframe connectors, traction bars, export braces, monty bar, GrabAtrac coils less 1/2 coil, 1" front swaybar (whiteline), little rear swaybar.
steering: Borgeson box, steve's bearing.
Interior: all original with original central console and rebuilt underdash AC (with 134A from VintageAir)
exterior: all original non GT silver blue.

soon:
I need to replace my windshield, to finish my custom shifter, to upgrade my fan (actually 6 blade rigid but I don't want an electric fan), to find a shroud to match my Champion 4 rows, to set my carb better than it is now, to replace my MagnaFlow 2.5" glass packs that are way too loud...

But there's always 100 things to do to maintain that baby so it can take me to work everyday!

Last edited by Uj-SPRT (10/17/2017 7:39 PM)

Be careful, chrome won't get you home!

10/22/2017 3:38 PM  #2

Re: Daily 66 super sleeper

Great looking DD Uj-SPRT Please share more photos.

10/22/2017 3:39 PM  #3

Great looking DD Uj-SPRT Please share more photos.

10/23/2017 8:17 AM  #4

Nice car.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

9/12/2018 7:19 PM  #5

Hi there!

Sorry, I had lost contact with the forum.
I have been rearended... 
Than I moved from San Antonio to Dallas
Than I bought a new toy!!!

I now have an April 65 fastback GT (A)

Actually shell is naked, sanded, I replaced the upper and lower cowl vent, now drip rails, soon trunk floor...
I plan on going for Caspian blue
Than swapping everything from my 66:
- my beloved 302
- my T5 with hydraulic clutch (10-1/2”)
- my big 9” truetrack 3.50
- my Global West front end...

New to Dallas I’m looking for friends!
And I need some advice to go maybe for rack & pinion powered

9/12/2018 7:37 PM  #6

Last edited by Uj-SPRT (9/12/2018 7:45 PM)

9/12/2018 8:11 PM  #7

Anyone close to Dallas?
I will have parts for cheap...
Coupe rear seat, windows, trunk lead, front grill, fog lights, new upper and lower control arms, new struts and much much more.
I have so many parts in double or triple!

9/13/2018 6:10 AM  #8

craigslist might be best to sell your extra's.

as for the forum, right now, many are heading to the Bash so, replies to your post may be limited for a few days...

9/14/2018 2:44 PM  #9

Can I come say hi in Glen Rose?
Even if none of my 2 Mustang are actually running...

When is it best for me to come?
Where is it?

MP so I send my number

9/14/2018 3:50 PM  #10

well, yeah......drive a Yugo to the Bash......no one will care.
Look in forum index for the Annual Bash section for time and place.........all the info is listed there for you

9/14/2018 4:03 PM  #11

Looks like Tuttle is a 4 hour drive from here in Glenrose. Come on over. It’s always fun to meet folks from the forum.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

9/14/2018 8:06 PM  #12

Bolted to Floor wrote:

Looks like Tuttle is a 4 hour drive from here in Glenrose. Come on over. It’s always fun to meet folks from the forum.

already met you dude and I'm not in Tuttle but, 1200 miles north of there in northern michigan.....enjoy the bash

9/14/2018 8:10 PM  #13

josh-kebob wrote:

Bolted to Floor wrote:

already met you dude and I'm not in Tuttle but, 1200 miles north of there in northern michigan.....enjoy the bash

Yea, Josh, we have met........that’s what sleep deprivation will get ya. Wish y’all could have made it. The comment was ment for UJ!!

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

9/14/2018 8:34 PM  #14

well hopefully UJ will make the short trip from dallas and meet the bash gang this year.....

9/15/2018 2:23 PM  #15

I made it!
:-)
I’m in paradise!!!

9/15/2018 9:12 PM  #16

It was great to meet you and see the passion you have for these cars. 

9/16/2018 12:08 AM  #17

Ya, it was great meeting you Uj-SPRT at the hotel. With your zest for Mustangs, a true gearhead at heart, and a bit of sarcasm, I'm positive you'll fit right in with the group.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

9/16/2018 10:18 AM  #18

Thanks a lot for your warm welcome!
I have been looking forward finding a group of happy people to share with!

I fell in love with every single one of your cars... and I have so many new questions.

I noticed that 1/2 of you are using a large radiator, probably 21x17.
Should I do that too? With AC, even with a champion 4 row my needle climbs...
What are you guys using?

I’m so jealous of aluminum version of mag 500 I saw on a moss green coupe... that’s what I should have bought instead of my heavy chromed version.

A 427 in a 65??? Really??? incredible!

Who makes elbow cushions that fits over a central console? I want one!

I have not seen any cars with Shelby style traction bars... I was surprised because I greatly appreciated that on my coupe, giving me more stability at higher speed.
I guess I’m doing something wrong.

I wish I would have seen a Caspian blue, that’s the color I chose for my fb but I have never seen one in real...

Last edited by Uj-SPRT (9/16/2018 10:24 AM)

9/18/2018 12:56 PM  #19

I managed to miss meeting you at the Bash, we will have to rectify that some time.

Wider radiator? Look at the header area at the top of the page. There is a FAQ section, one of the FAQ’s is how to install a wider radiator, all you need to know.

When you say console elbow cushions, do you mean the auxiliary consoles that fit on top of the stock console? All the major Mustang parts houses sell those: Steve’s Mustang Parts, CJ’s Pony Parts, Mustangs Unlimited.

I think traction bars have fallen in popularity because of the increased availability of higher tech rear springs. Right now 4 1/2 leaf springs seem to be popular, that 66 with 427 has a pair. Supposedly the 4 1/2’s control spring wrap and still give a good ride. Plus, you have to weld the front mount of the Traction Masters to the car, not everyone trusts their welding abilities for structural purposes.

There are usually more blue cars at a Bash. I will have to look at my pictures, but it is possible that red cars outnumbered blue cars which would be a first. The blue car guys say “red is boring, I want to be different” (like everyone else). Now I’m going to get flamed by the blue car guys. (My Fords are red, white, and teal)

9/19/2018 4:38 AM  #20

Uj-SPRT wrote:

Thanks a lot for your warm welcome!
I have been looking forward finding a group of happy people to share with!

I fell in love with every single one of your cars... and I have so many new questions.

I noticed that 1/2 of you are using a large radiator, probably 21x17.
Should I do that too? With AC, even with a champion 4 row my needle climbs...
What are you guys using?

I’m so jealous of aluminum version of mag 500 I saw on a moss green coupe... that’s what I should have bought instead of my heavy chromed version.

A 427 in a 65??? Really??? incredible!

Who makes elbow cushions that fits over a central console? I want one!

I have not seen any cars with Shelby style traction bars... I was surprised because I greatly appreciated that on my coupe, giving me more stability at higher speed.

I guess I’m doing something wrong.

I wish I would have seen a Caspian blue, that’s the color I chose for my fb but I have never seen one in real...

This champion rad ( galaxie and 67/ 70 mustang )  need only 4 fixers and battery tray revised and works really good !  Never over 194 f  also in trafic jam with ac on 

9/19/2018 8:03 AM  #21

Thank you so much for your picture!

I read the topic on radiators, I understand that there are 2 sizes bigger than the 17 (keeping both hoses on the RH)
A 21ish that can fit with just a bit of trimming of the battery tray and that doesn’t require to relocate the AC lines.
And a 24ish that requires a little bit more custom work.

Now I need to go play with my measuring tape under the hood... I’ll send pictures in the process.

9/22/2018 10:05 PM  #22

https://ibb.co/dX7cP9

My car looks almost like a pickup truck or a hatch back...
But not so much like a car...

Last edited by Uj-SPRT (9/22/2018 10:43 PM)

9/23/2018 7:42 PM  #23

This is how far we took my 65 FB down.

9/23/2018 8:21 PM  #24

That’s the beginning !
We’re replacing all trunk floor. Keeping the shock mount structure and cutting just after.
Than the quarters will follow.

I must admit than I had not planned to go that far when I bought it!
But you gotta do what you gotta do...

10/08/2018 4:49 PM  #25

Uj,
If your quarter panels are able to be saved by all means save them.
I purchased two dy/maize quarterfor my vert both were nice but the lines and edges
are not as sharp as original Ford parts.
I will cut them up to repair my original quarters. You know the usual spots that need repair
(bottom of quarter between door and wheel opening/ bottom of quarter behind wheel opening)
Just a suggestion.
You are doing a great job  saving the fback.
Must have been a heartbreak when you were rear ended in the coupe
Good luck keep us posted

Cman

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.