FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/24/2018 11:53 AM  #1

whats the best place to buy calipers for mustang steves rear cobra

whats the best place to buy calipers for mustang steves rear cobra disc brake  conversion on 68 mustang i have the brackets ,looked on rock auto they only list base models and gt cars,anyone have a specific part number

Last edited by GT350 (9/24/2018 12:02 PM)

9/24/2018 12:05 PM  #2

Re: whats the best place to buy calipers for mustang steves rear cobra

Found these selections on RockAuto.  Be sure to check the 32V 4.6L engine option when searching. 

I used 98 Mustang 4.6L 32V as the target car.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/24/2018 12:09 PM  #3

thanks steve wasnt sure,as long as its  for a 4.6 motor is that ok,it doesnt say 32v on rock autos website

9/24/2018 12:14 PM  #4

On rock auto, select the 4.6 DOHC option to get cobra specific stuff.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

9/24/2018 12:18 PM  #5

50vert wrote:

On rock auto, select the 4.6 DOHC option to get cobra specific stuff.

it just gives me 3 motor options v6 ,4.6l and 5.4 doesnt state dohc or 32v

9/24/2018 12:28 PM  #6

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1997,mustang,4.6l+v8+dohc,1134245,brake+&+wheel+hub,caliper,1704

9/24/2018 12:29 PM  #7

What year COBRA are you entering?  Use 1998 and it should give you the correct options.

9/24/2018 12:33 PM  #8

9/24/2018 12:38 PM  #9

Sorry, my kindle browser won't copy and paste long url's

9/24/2018 12:39 PM  #10

50vert wrote:

Sorry, my kindle browser won't copy and paste long url's

the links clickable

9/24/2018 2:10 PM  #11

Those will work.  Also, the GTs and Cobras use the same calipers.  The difference is the pads and mounting brackets to allow the same calipers to work on the wider Cobra discs, which are vented (GTs are solid).  Often you can find just the brackets for sale one eBay.  I used Rock Auto sourced GT calipers and eBay brackets for my '89 GT project (running Cobra brakes front and rear). 

9/24/2018 2:17 PM  #12

found these with brackets[url]​https://www.cjponyparts.com/brake-caliper-remanufactured-rear-passenger-side-cobra-1994-2004/p/BC19R/[/url]

Last edited by GT350 (9/24/2018 2:18 PM)

9/24/2018 2:43 PM  #13

I bought a set off E Bay from Shelby American for $80 plus shipping. Brand new 2017 GT rears

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

9/24/2018 7:20 PM  #14

MustangSteve has brackets now for the 2015-2018 rear calipers for large and small bearing 8” and 9”. The rear rotors are 13”.  These fit 17” or larger wheel.

Now have front brackets for 2015-2018 GT 14” brakes. Drum spindles or MustangII standard height spindles.  I just put a set on my 56 F100.  I used 18x8 Torque Thrust M wheels with 4.5” backspace.  I don’t think a 17” will clear them. If they will, my 66 will have a set of those brakes! I have not tried them yet, but the V6 and ecoboost front brakes should fit these brackets as well.

9/24/2018 9:29 PM  #15

I think I bought the first set of rear brackets. They worked great. I had to fabricate some fittings to get the cobra e brake cables to work with them.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.