FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/15/2018 11:05 PM  #1

289 4bbl Swap ---- HOLLEY 600CFM BIG ISSUES.....Need Help!

Ok Im back with the Aluminum Intake installed on the 289 and that whole part went without a hitch.......I purchased a 600cfm Holley Factory Carb with vacuum secondaries (list-7974  (date1705) ) 6.5 PV and 64 Jets......it was listed claiming "fresh rebuild" but when I received it I quickly identified that was not the case!  had to change the Front Bowel Gasket, clean both bowels thoroughly, change the o-rings on the needle valves and the gaskets for them....I had to adjust some of the linkage rods as well....

NOW.....Bolted on its funky as hell (at least for me):

-Bleeders Do Nothing (infact the opposite of what Im used to....Left side does nothing at all, right side as you screw it in, the idle increases)
-If I snuff the Carb to try and find vacuum leaks : Primaries does nothing BUT, snuffing the Secondaries causes the Butterflies to open slightly and fuel dumps in, then the Car stalls, this all happens pretty quickly....
-difficulty starting.  Choke plate does nothing to idle....
-once it reaches temperature it will idle (higher) and drive, but stalls randomly if held in gear or goes into reverse and the wheel turns.....

I am doing this as a little surprise for a close friend and he recently went to Europe, but so far it has only been a half success.....HELP??  im baffled by the Bleeders and Snuffing

10/16/2018 2:32 AM  #2

Re: 289 4bbl Swap ---- HOLLEY 600CFM BIG ISSUES.....Need Help!

Hi  ,  If your engine is stock like mine the 600 is way too big  .  I bought a " factory refurbished" holley  and i never had the pleasure to run the car with it .  Sold it and refurbish the old autolite , that runs perfect. 
 I believe your car is floating in gasoline .  try another one little like 500 or 450
my two cents

10/16/2018 6:52 AM  #3

So these symptoms would be normal? (the primaries not snuffing out the car and the mixtures not functioning at all?).
if so, why? 

shouldnt the carb "work" only not work well cause of too much air or fuel?  (meaning still function and be able to try and tune it as they would typically, only never to run well)

10/16/2018 6:53 AM  #4

Can Anyone Give Feedback as to the WHY??

I also need to know if i was ripped off and lied to by the Carb Seller so I can deal with that!

many thanks,
Jeff

10/16/2018 8:37 AM  #5

M1Mustang69 wrote:

So these symptoms would be normal? (the primaries not snuffing out the car and the mixtures not functioning at all?).
if so, why? 

shouldnt the carb "work" only not work well cause of too much air or fuel?  (meaning still function and be able to try and tune it as they would typically, only never to run well)

My experience with holley was total fail so i am the last one that can give suggestions .
when i was trying this carb my car was running rough , stalling, and boggin .
Changing main jets to lean it was not enough because i need to change more other parts like bleeders and power valve and metering plate . You can lean a big carburator but you can not modified a 600 and make it run like a 390
When i was saying that the car drown , was exacly that .  too much gas  will flush the engine
If you have high idle when hot maybe you have some air leaks in 
My bad i cant help you much more

10/16/2018 8:43 AM  #6

The carb is too big.  The mixture screws aren't going to have much effect because there isn't proper draw through the carb to make them effective because the swept area in the cylinders is too small.  BUT, all the way in you would expect it to stall the engine.  If that's no happening something else is wrong.  Its getting fuel somehow.  Did you set the float level?  What kind of fuel pump is being used?

10/16/2018 10:21 AM  #7

my 600 holley vaccum secondary carb has full effect of every needle. I have a 302 with a a hipo cam in it. The carb is only running primaries at idle , nothing out of the secondary circuit. Screwing in or out on either side of the carb caused the engine to make a significant change in idle. I am no expert on carbs but I have been told before that even with vaccum secondaries 600 is too big. 6 years in and its fine

yes with secondaries open , it is too big. IF i am going for peak power , it is too rich.. but idling around the town, or puttering 60 -70 on the highway its not.

you need to rebuild this carb or have someone who knows how to rebuild properly do it for you

many on this forum (not me ) are great at them, and may be willing to help if you ask them :D

Last edited by Gaba (10/16/2018 10:22 AM)

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

10/16/2018 10:32 AM  #8

Thanks Guys....my thoughts exactly on the 600, it should operate properly; function as it should, regardless if its too much, just wont have amazing performance....

Anyone know whats causing the Mixtures to not operate at all and why the Choke plate (or snuffing) the Primaries would cause it to not stall or idle higher during cold start?  no vacuum leaks as far as I can tell!

+could somehow the rear metering plate not be functioning properly?  Power Valve Faulty? 
there has to be a definitive "cause and effect" type thing here

10/16/2018 10:38 AM  #9

sorry forgot to answer:

stock fuel pump (New)
6.5 PV
64 Jets
100% stock 289 motor

10/16/2018 11:05 AM  #10

M1Mustang69 wrote:

Thanks Guys....my thoughts exactly on the 600, it should operate properly; function as it should, regardless if its too much, just wont have amazing performance....

No i cant agree with that .   how looks the sparks plug ? 
I think wet too much

10/16/2018 3:00 PM  #11

Can I not lean it out with the Jets? 

or will a 600 Always pull too much fuel???

update now is :

62Jets.....Car Runs, alright...Under load is strong. to be truthful doesnt feel much different from the 2bbl.....
Mixtures still do not work and I Dont Think Secondaries (Vacuum) are opening.  Why would That Happen?

10/16/2018 3:21 PM  #12

Consider that the stock carb for an A code 289 was rated at 435cfm.  In my 500cfm Edelbrock I had to drop a jet size in the primaries, and am trying it in the secondaries (not sure if its better or worse, hoping for a strip trip next week where I can really test it).

You can crutch a carb that's too big.  The issue isn't not being able to jet it down enough; the issue is responsiveness.  It all comes down to vacuum signal through the carb.  A small engine with a big carb is lazy.  A big engine with a small carb is torquey (why they ran them on trucks with big blocks for example).  The bores in the big carb are just too big for a proper vacuum signal with only 289 cubes. 

10/16/2018 4:17 PM  #13

Gotchya....nice Feedback TKO, thanks...

I just did the paper clip test, secondaries are definitely not Opening....not sure if its due to vacuum or bad diaphragm (i can hear it make that air suction noise when I turn them manually)

either way doesnt look like its going to work....S*&%$Y

10/16/2018 6:06 PM  #14

Has it backfired through the carb?  ( Goes POP! and a flame comes out the top of the carb momentarily)
if so.....the power valve may be ruptured and you will NEVER get it to work properly until that is replaced (they are cheap!)
600 cfm carb is NOT ideal butt.....they can be made to work JUST-AS-WELL-AS A smaller cfm carb. The secondaries vacuum and spring must be adjusted to NOT come open until the engine is reving high enough to use the fuel. The vacuum secondaries are designed to prevent a big bog when "pinning-the-pedal"!
Anyway....back to the OP's question.....Ck./replace that power valve and then make ABSOLUTELY SURE you don't have a vacuum leak around carb and intake!
If you screw the air bleed screws in(all-the-way) the engine should NOT run! That means its "sucking air" somewhere!!!
Let us know
6sally6 

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/17/2018 11:57 AM  #15

Thanks you Sally6.....I mean, Ive done an intake job enough times, I dont think it is sucking air from somewhere else....New Gaskets used, liquid gasket on both faces (nice even thin coat on both surfaces), new Carb Gasket.....I cant imagine of where it could be robbing air from....Tried to working PV (first the 6.5 and now 4.5) performance did not change.....Never a BACKFIRE.....

is there anything that could be faulty with the CARB itself for the Mixture Screws to not work, or does it simply translate to Vacuum Leak?  (both mixtures INCREASE idle when bottomed out!)

regards,
Jeff

10/17/2018 12:27 PM  #16

one more side note, I did notice while trying to adjust the idle with the proper timing, I discovered I have a very small window until the Idle begins roughin up, in both directions......By this I mean maybe 1 inch Total Movement ( so from a smooth idle .5" left or right max will cause sputtering or rough idle ---- where it gives the sound of flooding)

10/17/2018 1:16 PM  #17

Sorry if you've already covered this, but could your float level be set too high causing it to flood?

10/17/2018 3:07 PM  #18

we did cover that but thank you Michael for reaching out...

Floats Set Well
4.5PV (yielded same results as 6.5)
62 Jets
Curb idle Set equally on both (tiny bit of idle slot showing)
stock engine and PUMP (no regulator)
Aluminum Intake
timing set

Mixture Screws do nothing and VAC Sec not engaging.....possible not enough vacuum is being reached?  would changing the spring then allow the secondaries to open?

10/17/2018 3:21 PM  #19

M1Mustang69

Yes, a 600 cfm Holley should work.

No, it will not work optimally.

A 600 cfm with vacuum secondaries on a stock 289 will open the secondaries very late (full throttle, high rpm).

Your description of the way the carb works (or doesn’t work), makes me think there are several internal passages plugged up. From the way that carb looks, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was removed from a junkyard car just before selling it to you. If it had been “rebuilt”, you wouldn’t have had to do the things you described.

My advise is to buy the correct total rebuild kit for that carb and a big bucket of carb dip. Tear the carb completely apart, soak it overnight, then check to make sure all the passages are open with a syringe of carb dip and low pressure air. If not, soak and retest untill clear. Rebuild per kit instructions.

10/17/2018 7:54 PM  #20

Horman, Thank You very much....day by day piece by piece I was doing more and more, cleaning included....with carb cleaner spray and a compressor.  Things did improve, but not all.....

Im officially giving up.  The Bleeders Function Literally the OPPOSITE as they should..........In increases Idle rendering the idle screw useless when its backed off, and OUT stalls it.....just did my last attempt, I give up....(not to mention cold start choke closed it wont stay running, bogs down and dies).

600 is too much and with the amount of time Ive lost, i decided to start over....Grabbing a 450 Autolite an hour away from home and going to Do as You said Hornman and start over with that.....

Does Everyone agree a 450 Autolite is the way to go?

10/17/2018 8:34 PM  #21

What is the list number?  Some Holleys are “reverse idle” and the idlenmixture screws get richer as they are turned clockwise.
A 600 can work well on a 289. Just alot of tweaking and it will never be optimum on a stocker.

Used Holleys are alwsys a crapshoot. If they worked right, they wiuld still be on someone’s engine.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/17/2018 9:16 PM  #22

Hadda Holley.......switched to an Edelbrock......problems solved! They are so simple to tune. (They just look like they belong on a shivel-lay or a Plymouth!%#@!!)
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/18/2018 9:29 AM  #23

M1Mustang69 wrote:

Horman, Thank You very much....day by day piece by piece I was doing more and more, cleaning included....with carb cleaner spray and a compressor.  Things did improve, but not all.....

Im officially giving up.  The Bleeders Function Literally the OPPOSITE as they should..........In increases Idle rendering the idle screw useless when its backed off, and OUT stalls it.....just did my last attempt, I give up....(not to mention cold start choke closed it wont stay running, bogs down and dies).

600 is too much and with the amount of time Ive lost, i decided to start over....Grabbing a 450 Autolite an hour away from home and going to Do as You said Hornman and start over with that.....

Does Everyone agree a 450 Autolite is the way to go?

i agree and these are mine jets 47  and 56  ( secondaries)  6,5  pv   ( now you have a reference point to start with).
with a rebuild kit i believe you will run good . I will be happy to hear from you when you will try the autolite 
ciao !

10/18/2018 10:02 AM  #24

LIST-7974 ----- never heard of the Reverse Idle, very interesting....can you help determine MS?

Sally I heard Edels typically lack performance compared to Holley.....(talking equals here; 650-to-650, 750-to-750 ect )

Ty Alessandro, I appreciate that!  you will hear from me

10/18/2018 10:04 AM  #25

One big problem could be damage to the carb from sitting with ethanol blended fuel in it.  The last Holley I tore apart to rebuild before selling was damaged beyond repair and I ended up junking it.  I tried everything to clean it, etc., but the castings had deteriorated and I knew it was just never going to be right and I'm not the type to sell something to someone knowing its not going to be right. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.