FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/18/2018 10:05 AM  #1

Autolite 1.08 or Holley Economaster?????

So 2 questions here.....

In everyones Infinite Wisdom, would you go Autolite 4100 1.08 or Economaster????

More importantly, are the rebuild kits for the Autolites all the same, specifically the 1.08 and the 1.12????

regards,
Jeff

10/18/2018 10:11 AM  #2

Re: Autolite 1.08 or Holley Economaster?????

Edelbrock.  I went away from the Autolites because of a lack of support for tuning.  I avoid anything with the H name because of the hassle of tuning.  Had plenty of them for years, and learned to tune them, but after some time messing with Q-Jets and the discovery that the Edelbrock was basically just a CarterAFB, which is a better Q-Jet style carb, I ran an Edlebrock for the first time in the early 2000's and never went back. 

10/18/2018 10:17 AM  #3

Really TKO.....good and interesting feedback!

my research most people didnt care for the Carters/Edels because they discovered a performance improvement from the holley counterpart......

but, I did ask between the 2 cause cost is a factor and I found a Economaster and Autolite for very reasonable prices ($120CAN)....for under $200 I can hace a "New Like Carburetor"  cant go wrong......and its being bolted to a Bone Dry Stock 289!

10/18/2018 11:23 AM  #4

Does anyone Know if the Autolite rebuild kits are the same for the 1.08's and the 1.12's?

10/18/2018 11:32 AM  #5

M1Mustang69 wrote:

Does anyone Know if the Autolite rebuild kits are the same for the 1.08's and the 1.12's?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=987476&cc=1332885&jsn=440

I used this one for mine .  These kit do not have jets that you can find at mike carburators  .
i don't think is different from . 08 to .12 but someone may konw it 

10/18/2018 12:28 PM  #6

I'll also vote Edelbrock 500cfm ... mine has never given me an ounce of trouble and it's super simple to tune.

10/18/2018 2:56 PM  #7

Kits are the same.

Go to www.carburetor-parts.com  or, google, Mikes carbs......same site.
Call their toll free number ask specific questions.......
The site also has good tech video's on how to rebuild the 4100........

Last edited by josh-kebob (10/18/2018 6:41 PM)

10/18/2018 4:06 PM  #8

M1Mustang69 wrote:

Really TKO.....good and interesting feedback!

my research most people didnt care for the Carters/Edels because they discovered a performance improvement from the holley counterpart......

but, I did ask between the 2 cause cost is a factor and I found a Economaster and Autolite for very reasonable prices ($120CAN)....for under $200 I can hace a "New Like Carburetor"  cant go wrong......and its being bolted to a Bone Dry Stock 289!

I've been hearing that for years, and I think there's a shred of truth to it, but its tiny.  The truth is that many years ago, before the internet, everyone ran Holleys because very few people knew how to tune anything else.  They also didn't know where to get tuning parts.  All the guys at the speed shops would steer them towards Holleys anyway (why would they sell you a couple metering rods and jets when they could sell you a whole new carb?).  Information was hard to come by, because there weren't books on tuning anything BUT a Holley.  So, most tuners learned to tune Holleys and it became a self perpetuating cycle.  I promise there is nothing inherently wrong with any other carb design I've ever messed with; if anything they're simply a little harder to understand than a Holley, but that complexity allows for greater precision, which is what makes then ultimately better carbs for the way most people use their cars. 

There may be a tiny edge in top end HP on a dyno using a Holley vs. an Edelbrock.  BUT, the Edelbrock will run better literally everywhere else.  In an all out race car, maybe that 2-3HP makes a difference, but on a typical Mustang that we all enjoy, even those that their owners would call "street/strip", the truth is that car spends 99.999999999% of its life at something OTHER than WOT.  So to me, you tune the car to run best where it spends the vast majority of its time.  An analogy I'd use is that you wouldn't dream of running DOT legal slicks on a car all the time that may see the track once a year, so why would you run a carb best suited to the track when the car only goes there once a year, if that? 

10/18/2018 6:30 PM  #9

Definitely NOT a Holley Economaster. I have never seen one of those run well.
Ford 4100 is s good choice if you don’t get ripped off when you buy it.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/18/2018 6:57 PM  #10

The only Holleys I have run are the double pumpers. They are wonderful IF you spend the time to know them  So much available for them to fix any problem. But, unless you are willing to spend the time an Edelbrock is not a bad choice. I have bought them bolted them on and not touched them for several street applications.

10/18/2018 8:25 PM  #11

A lot of good feedback on the summit carburetors too.  There price is pretty good too!

10/18/2018 9:11 PM  #12

So get this.....I tried with all my might to get the numbers off the carburetor, but the seller never checked or responded when he was able to check....it was listed and described as a 1.08 4100.........I drive 1:20away to go get it, assured it was in working order, but required a rebuild only to Learn the Choke Assembly is missing, a linkage for the vacuum advance missing ANNNND 3/4 Butterflies are BENT!.....

wtf is wrong with people!!!!  im now 0-2 on carburetors, one purchased and this one....

because I didnt want to make the trip for nothing I purchased a New in the Box Economaster for the 289, had him take $50 off the price and asked for him to throw in the mangled Autolite (maybe I can rebuild the Autolite and recoop some).

what a Mess!

10/18/2018 9:23 PM  #13

I vote for a 500 Edelbrock also. great carbs with superior annular boosters.

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

10/19/2018 3:55 PM  #14

No one has mentioned the Summit carbs. They are based on the Autolite 4100, plus they come in a range of sizes and you can get parts for them. The downside is that it seems necessary to take them apart to empty out the grit (tumble polishing media) they seem to be delivered with.

10/20/2018 12:53 PM  #15

Hornman wrote:

No one has mentioned the Summit carbs. They are based on the Autolite 4100, plus they come in a range of sizes and you can get parts for them. The downside is that it seems necessary to take them apart to empty out the grit (tumble polishing media) they seem to be delivered with.

Good call, very good carb. They also use the annular boosters like the 4100 and Edelbrock

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

10/20/2018 1:28 PM  #16

I ran a 650 cfm Holley on my mostly stock 67 289 for about 10 years. I was never really happy with it as it tended to run rich, especially when first started. After warming up it did run pretty strong, but gas mileage was all over the place: worst was 11.5 mpg and best was 16. Idle was inconsistant also. Last fall I put a 500 cfm Edelbrock on, spent maybe 20 minutes tuning the idle circuits and just started to finally enjoy driving it. It cold starts with one hit of the gas pedal, fast idles at 1100 rpm, and kicks down to a smooth 650 rpm idle every time. No more eye burning exhaust when warming up, and my milage this summer after driving 2200 miles in all kinds of conditions has stayed between 15.8 and 17.2 mpg. I am really happy with this set up, I wish I would have done it years ago!

It's easier to add horsepower than it is to lose weight.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.