FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/19/2018 6:14 AM  #1

I cant WIN........Holley Economster doesnt BOLT to SBF Intake?????????

Why does this Holley Economaster (L-7454) I just purchased new out of the box an hour and half away from home, NOT BOLT to my 289/302 Aluminum Intake????? 

its Too Narrow!???  One side 2 bolts, other no dice!

10/19/2018 8:00 AM  #2

Re: I cant WIN........Holley Economster doesnt BOLT to SBF Intake?????????

10/19/2018 8:04 AM  #3

There are adapters available to mount that carb to a square bore flange but you may find better success finding a suitable square bore carb.  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2693

10/19/2018 10:55 AM  #4

I'm really sorry to hear that... sounds like my kinda luck.

10/19/2018 8:05 PM  #5

You really don’t want an economaster on there.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/20/2018 10:43 PM  #6

That Bad MS?

Ive noticed no performance ("muscle performance) but that aside seems good/nice....its a pure stock 289 with an Aluminum nothing special intake

10/21/2018 5:29 AM  #7

When things don't fit its God telling you somethings wrong and you've made a mistake.  Listen to the good Lord...

10/21/2018 7:24 AM  #8

TKOPerformance wrote:

When things don't fit its God telling you somethings wrong and you've made a mistake.  Listen to the good Lord...

true, and so is listening to forum advice........

10/22/2018 1:35 PM  #9

well for now its on, and I gotta say its easy to tune and works well.....Just as well as the Autolite 2bbl, but better performance at higher RPM.

eventually would like to put a Autolite 4100 (1.08) on it.....

10/22/2018 1:55 PM  #10

How did you end up mounting it?  Did you use an adapter like the one GPatrick posted a link to?

10/22/2018 2:45 PM  #11

Hi Michael,

My race supplier was pretty flattened by the throttle base. Said he's never seen a carb like that.  Tried a couple gaskets to see how it fit.  Opened up a book searching. 

I walked over and grabbed a "Quadrajet" gasket and Whammo, it lined up perfectly. Soooo needed those Quadrajet 1" adapter plates and it's all kosher now. Works well too.  Nicer cold starts and improved higher RPM performance

10/22/2018 7:17 PM  #12

Soooo...you installed a "quadrajet-style" carb on your stock 289?!! Used a 1" adapter plate?!  How about hood clearance ? Always "thought" I wanted to try a quadrajet on my 5.0 butt never found a mani that would work..... The secondaries popp'in in really makes the hair on my neck stand up!!
Gimme details!!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/23/2018 3:42 PM  #13

Pretty sure I've got one of those adapter plates lying around if you want to try it 6sally6.  If I do I'll send it to you for shipping if you want it.  PM me if so.

11/06/2018 8:19 AM  #14

Sally sorry I have been MIA and didnt notice what you wrote....Also picked up a new hobby, Restoring Autolite 4100;s (and 2100's but thats more upon request).....

So Update :

Economaster on Stock 289, operates nearly exactly as his 2100 1.14 did....low end is the same (possibly slightly worse but that could be other variables like weather affecting)....High end seems to be noticeably better, but nothing marginal!  intial throttle response across the board we both feel has improved (snappier/touchy when throttle is initially touched)........all in all good, but not worth putting on unless the biggest concern is improved mileage!  so far biggest improvement has been Mileage....

TKO thank you for that offer, I wish I had noticed that also but unfortunately I as a back-up safety plan i had ordered one New

11/06/2018 8:23 AM  #15

Also Sally I have done0 tuning.....Havent tried changing Jets or pumps if thats possible.  one thing I will do Is try to adjust when the secondaries open, Im assuming a bit sooner would be a better thing, but given the venturi are much smaller on this Econo, I have a feeling secondaries opening too soon could be too much air or too late would be not enough!!!!  going to be tricky........still learning this motor.  I wanted 450-500cfm assuming that would greatly benefit but after all this and the research, the stock 289 mathematically is a very "sissy-like": engine compared to its brothers.

11/07/2018 6:51 AM  #16

The 289 is just small.  They can make great power, but its going to be higher up in the RPM range.  Actually, a stock A code makes amazing low end torque considering how tiny it is, but its cammed such that there's no point reving it past 5,000.  Thus, no need for a lot of fuel.

The HiPo engines used larger carbs because with solid lifers they wound a lot higher.  In racing they were shifting those engines at 8,000 or more.  No concern about durability because the stroke is so short.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.