FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/23/2018 6:44 AM  #26

Re: 65 Falcon I6 to V8

TKOPerformance wrote:

New gears are going to run about $320 from Randy's.  I think Richmond makes them too, and they are cheaper, but they howl on deceleration, so I'd pay the premium for the Yukons from Randy's.  I've installed a couple dozen sets of Yukons and never had a single issue. 

I would definitely get a limited slip in it.  Probably looking at $500-$650 for that new.

Then all the bearings and races should be changed, and get rid of that damn crush sleeve and go to a solid spacer.

The 8" isn't cheap to build; that's where the 9" really shines because they are so much more plentiful and THE standard for high performance use.  You can look for used stuff, but I would not buy used gears, and even buying a used diff is dicey. 

A response I see on a lot of forums when someone asks what gears to run, is what kind of driving the person will be doing (highway, street/cruise,race). What would most people constitute as highway driving? Staying at a constant speed of around 55-60? I live off a highway that has a posted speed of 55mph..but then up the road I can get off on another highway where the speed posted is 70mph. I will more than likely be driving this car around the 55-60mph average and back road driving..45-50mph..(I usually avoid the highway anyway).

10/23/2018 6:45 AM  #27

Bullet Bob wrote:

Hey Tarheel, If you'd like to see a good YouTube slide show of the rebuild we did last winter on the 64 Falcon you can Google "Falcon Repower Medium 2"  Maybe that will give you some ideas and get the juices flowing.

BB

I’ll check out it on my lunch break..thanks!

10/23/2018 6:53 AM  #28

Al Newman wrote:

8.  5.0 from efi era is preferable if you plan on driving a lot.  Any s/b (289-302-5.0) that will clean up at .030 or less is fine for a puddle jumper.  5.0 roller cam blocks may require changing harmonic balancer, flywheel, front pulleys, adding  a fuel pump eccentric, changing distributor drive gear, changing timing chain, different timing chain cover.  Swap articles rarely cover all "gotchas".
9.  Stepping up to larger aluminum radiators seems to be where its at these days, but a standard 3 row copper radiator will adequately handle cooling duties on properly built motors.
10.  Avoid installing extra large tires and rims.  They bring with them a basket full of handling and clearance issues.
Best
Al

What is a good tire to run over a stock 6cyl setup for a v8 swap with the 8” rear. Or will I have to figure my gears first before deciding?

I see that Champion makes the drop in 2 and 3 row radiators. Best to go ahead with the 3 row in case I ever decide to add more HP?

10/23/2018 3:50 PM  #29

TarheelFalcon wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

New gears are going to run about $320 from Randy's.  I think Richmond makes them too, and they are cheaper, but they howl on deceleration, so I'd pay the premium for the Yukons from Randy's.  I've installed a couple dozen sets of Yukons and never had a single issue. 

I would definitely get a limited slip in it.  Probably looking at $500-$650 for that new.

Then all the bearings and races should be changed, and get rid of that damn crush sleeve and go to a solid spacer.

The 8" isn't cheap to build; that's where the 9" really shines because they are so much more plentiful and THE standard for high performance use.  You can look for used stuff, but I would not buy used gears, and even buying a used diff is dicey. 

A response I see on a lot of forums when someone asks what gears to run, is what kind of driving the person will be doing (highway, street/cruise,race). What would most people constitute as highway driving? Staying at a constant speed of around 55-60? I live off a highway that has a posted speed of 55mph..but then up the road I can get off on another highway where the speed posted is 70mph. I will more than likely be driving this car around the 55-60mph average and back road driving..45-50mph..(I usually avoid the highway anyway).

Highway driving to me realistically means 80MPH anymore.  20 years ago if you were running 80 around here you were the guy passing everyone.  Today it puts you mid pack, and watch out for the guys coming up behind you who insist on doing 90.  Our posted limit here is only 65, but the highways are hardly patrolled at all, and trying to run 65 you are basically a moving roadblock and prime to get cussed at, hit, or run over. 

Now, its going to vary dependent upon where you are, and what kind of driving you do, but I wanted to take some longer trips in my car, and that meant being able to run 80MPH without screaming the engine at 4,000RPM.  With a T5 from an '89 5.0, a 3.50 rear gear, and a 275/45R17 tire I'm turning around 2,500RPM at 80MPH.  Quite comfortably keeping up with traffic, not overly taxing anything, and getting reasonable mileage.  I recently made a 150 mile round trip to Atlantic City with the car, and not so much as a hiccup. 

11/01/2018 11:35 AM  #30

Starting to gather some parts and needed some clarification. Are the upper/lower control arms and spring perches used on the 6cyl’s compatible with v8’s?

11/01/2018 12:12 PM  #31

I'm not 100% sure on a falcon, but on a 65/66 Mustang, which is pretty much the same as a Falcon, I think, the upper and lower control arms and spring seat are the same on a v8 and a 6 cylinder.  Spring, spindle, brakes, and steering components are different, though.

11/01/2018 3:35 PM  #32

Michael H. wrote:

I'm not 100% sure on a falcon, but on a 65/66 Mustang, which is pretty much the same as a Falcon, I think, the upper and lower control arms and spring seat are the same on a v8 and a 6 cylinder.  Spring, spindle, brakes, and steering components are different, though.

That’s what I was thinking. When looking at vendor sites I don’t see any control arms listed as 6 or 8 like if I would be looking at steering components..I.e. pitman, idlers. There is a heavy duty control arm on one site, but I don’t know if that has anything to do with it being a V8 car.

11/01/2018 5:17 PM  #33

Hey Tarheel.......
For just a cruiser.......50--75mph.....no "cammed-up" engine.....3.00/3.25:1   8 " will work fine.
3 core radiator is a good choice ...4 core for zero problems when stuck in that NC traffic. (especially with AC)
I would go with 15" rims max....and  average width tires. Fat'uns look sweeeet butt then backspace....rim offset...rim width....fender "clearancing"....scrubbing on driveways  start to be a prob.
Nice paint....nice interior..... A/C....comfortable ride...a big priority.....
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/01/2018 6:08 PM  #34

I would just go to an aluminum radiator if you have to buy one anyway.  More efficient and lighter than copper/brass.  There are quite reasonably price alternatives out there, especially if you don't mind a little fab work. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.