FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/18/2018 10:07 AM  #26

Re: Dyno Question

Just advance it like 8-10 degrees

10/18/2018 5:45 PM  #27

6sally6 wrote:

Chaplin wrote:

Some more fodder for the discussion... Here is a dyno run of pretty much the same engine I built (exact same cam), except my engine will be carb’d instead of FI.

I’d be tickled if I can duplicate these results, but I am not expecting to.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=buHxbVKLt_g

impressive!

You KNOW you're leaving  a good 50-80HP "on-the-table" with that little girl cam, right?!
Jus say'in

I had a feeling that you might feel that way about the cam! 

10/19/2018 7:07 PM  #28

Well, I took the engine to the dyno today. Unfortunately, we only ran it briefly and had to shut it down due to low oil pressure.  Not sure what the problem is yet. We primed it and all looked good, but once we started it we never got more than 10 lbs or pressure out of it- and we checked it on 2 different gauges. Not sure if there is a problem with the pump, the pressure relief valve or if a galley plug is leaking somewhere. But it did sound good for the 30 seconds or so it was running! 

I am hoping to get it sorted in the next week or two and bring it back for a second attempt at the dyno. The guys at the dyno shop were great, though. They had almost 4 hours of time into it by the time they loaded the engine back into my truck and didn’t charge me a dime today. I think they were taking pity on me!

10/19/2018 7:28 PM  #29

Easier than pulling it out of the car, sounds like. Too bad you had problems.

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

10/20/2018 5:30 AM  #30

What kind of lifters are in the engine?

10/20/2018 5:48 AM  #31

Alan wrote:

Easier than pulling it out of the car, sounds like. Too bad you had problems.

Yes, that is the only saving grace. Much easier to fix now than had I dropped it in the car and found the problem.

TKO-
I’m using these Ford Racing lifters.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-6500-R302H

10/20/2018 5:57 AM  #32

That's one of the reasons I always use a 1/2" drill motor to run the oil pump for ten minutes or so before the engine comes of the stand.  That makes sure oil is up to the valves and proves that it will hold oil pressure. 

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/20/2018 6:28 AM  #33

Should be fine, but in some cases, when everything else is right, the lifter to bore clearance can cause low oil pressure in an SBF if its too loose.  I'd start with the pump.  I always pull those apart and check clearances, though the Melling pumps I use have always been right on spec. 

10/20/2018 7:14 AM  #34

It is a Melling pump. But that’s where we’re starting.

10/20/2018 9:03 AM  #35

Doh!

Glad you stopped while your were ahead!  Hope it is something simple.

I saw a “ready to run” 454 go on a stand one time and it had had low oil pressure.  I kid you not when the pan was pulled the main caps were loose.  Somehow it did not totally self destruct!

10/20/2018 10:39 AM  #36

Check your pickup to pan clearance.  Sometimes aftermarket pans and pickups don't play nicely and you could be restricting the pump inlet.  Great example of why some dyno time can be worthwhile to sort out an engine before it goes in a car.  I'm planning a dyno session when my 347 is eventually completed.

10/20/2018 1:22 PM  #37

Yup, that will be checked again too.

10/21/2018 4:01 AM  #38

I'm guessing 375 hp/375 tq, 

11/09/2018 8:14 PM  #39

Well, we had Dyno Day 2.0 today. Everything went off without a hitch and the engine surpassed my expectations and came closer to the numbers in the video that I posted above than I thought.  After we broke it in, we ran probably 15 or 16 pulls and tried various combinations of carbs, timing changes, etc.  To save you the long winded version, I’ve attached a pic of the dyno sheet that made the most power.  Although not shown on this chart, it was making 370 ft/lbs at 2700.  That’s a very wide torque curve with a decent amount of hp under 6k. The water pump and the alternator were turning too. All in all, I’m pretty pleased and think this will make for a very fun street engine. Can’t wait to get it in the car, but it will
be a few weeks before I have time to do it.

11/09/2018 9:45 PM  #40

Great numbers Chaplin but what was the cause or cure for the low oil pressure?

11/09/2018 10:00 PM  #41

Well, unfortunately, it turned out to be nothing that was anticipated. A fatal machining maching error occurred during final machining of the block. The machine shop had to clearance the block a bit for their hone, and when they did, they accidentally removed too much material and knicked the main bearing oil feed. So, the first block was toast and we were back today with a new block. They felt really bad that it happened and took care of it on their dime, which was great, but I felt bad that it happened because it’s a small family owned shop.

11/10/2018 12:50 AM  #42

That’s customer service you normally don’t see these days. Everyone will make a mistake at some point, it’s how you deal with it that can make you shine or turn folks away for good. They deserve a shout out or three.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

11/10/2018 6:05 AM  #43

Agreed. He didn’t tell me what happened until after he had ordered the new block. I went down to check out the first block last week and I asked him if he could repair. He thinks he can salvage it and use it for something- so I’m glad that it’s not a total loss- but he said “you paid for a new block, not a repaired block, so that’s what you’re getting.”  I thanked him for taking care of it (several times) and bought him breakfast and lunch yesterday. It was the least I could do to show my appreciation.

11/10/2018 12:01 PM  #44

Please tell us who the shop is, they need advertising. It's so rare to have someone who is that honest!

11/10/2018 1:41 PM  #45

Impressive!

11/10/2018 5:03 PM  #46

Absolutely!!.....Although that is how all business should operate,  seems like  few do.
IF they were in my area I would use them just because of how they handled your issue.
I have bragged on the guys at Delta Cams (in Tacoma, Wash) because of how they went above & beyond with their customer service.
This guy sounds like another business with unquestionable service!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/10/2018 5:26 PM  #47

Absolutely. They’re a small shop located just outside of Portland, Maine. They’ve been in the same building for probably 30 years. I’ve bought engines before from very reputable “big names” in the business and had issues that were not dealt with as painlessly as this was handled. 

After the last time I had an issue with an engine I bought from a “big name”, I swore I would only deal with another shop face to face. This shop was recommended to me by the body shop that did the work on my car. I’ve spoken to a bunch of people who have engines built by them (on guy has 4 different engines from them) and not one person had an issue or a complaint. Sounds like what happened was just a freak accident.  As was stated above, sh!t happens, it’s how people handle the screw ups that makes the difference and they took care of it better than I could have asked.

And they delivered an engine that exceeded both of our expectations - we had a little bet on what the dyno results would be.  I was closest without going over!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.