FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/17/2018 12:11 PM  #1

Am looking at some 18" rims

Found some 2017 Mustang gt 18" rims on craigslist and was wondering would the offset or lack of affect install on say a  '72 disc brake Mustang would a 1" spacer be enough to clear the steering linkage?

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

11/18/2018 7:43 AM  #2

Re: Am looking at some 18" rims

I would not run a wheel taller than 17" on one of these cars.  Keep in mind they had 15" wheels stock, and a lot more sidewall.  The sidewall was in effect a part of the suspension, helping to soak up bumps.  Going to stiffer springs, etc. to improve handling was pretty much not noticeable (so long as you kept it within reason) with stock wheels and tires because you had that sidewall.  When you remove a lot of that sidewall you lose that, and now the car may feel harsh, or stiff.

I went to 17s from stock wheels.  I have typical suspension upgrades (620 font coils, poly bushings, bigger sway bar, Shelby/Arning drop).  Its definitely a stiffer ride than before.  Mostly its not objectionable, but its right on the edge of where I think it would start to become objectionable if I'd gone to a bigger wheel.  I have a 40 series tire on the front because a 45 series hit the fenders.  Going to an 18" wheel you are going to have to go to a 35 or 30 series tire to allow the tire to physically fit inside the wheel wells.  That's very little sidewall.

17s will clear 13" diameter brakes, maybe larger, so there's no benefit on that front to an 18" wheel.

As far as the offset goes, modern wheels use a totally different concept when it comes to offset.  Basically they push the mounting pad as far outward as possible.  '60s and '70's era cars had the mounting pad a lot closer to centered.  Consequently I imagine a spacer is going to be required.  I can't say on thickness specifically, but I would guess you'd be lucky to get away with only a 1 spacer.

My advice would be stick to wheels 17" and under.  Cheap parts that force compromises are not worth it.  You end up spending more money and time trying to get them to work to your satisfaction than it would have cost to just buy something that fit right to start.

11/18/2018 10:19 AM  #3

The reduced side wall of an 18" tire on these old cars will eventually  lead to a seriously damaged rim from pot holes. Saw it first hand on a trip to the 40th with a club member, he had to wait three days in no mans land to get a replacement wheel.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/18/2018 2:36 PM  #4

You need to find out what offset or backspace they are. A 1" spacer may be fine, or it may not, as the later 18's came in a few different offsets I think.

I have 18x8.5's on the front with a 235/40 tire and a 0 offset, and 20x8.5's on the rear with 235/30's and a +10 offset. This is on a 65 and required good rolling of the fender lips. You have much more space in your wheel wells so I don't see a bigger profile being an issue. Ride is a bit harsh but I have bearing control arms and strud rods, strong lowered springs etc, so I didn't notice anything when I swapped to bigger wheels over the 17's.

On the 17's I had, I ran a 234/45 series semi slick tire that runs a little large, and that fit both front and rear with an 8" 4.75 backpsace wheel. Fender lip rolling was required on the rear.

Last edited by Husky65 (11/18/2018 2:45 PM)

11/18/2018 5:26 PM  #5

Husky65 wrote:

You need to find out what offset or backspace they are. A 1" spacer may be fine, or it may not, as the later 18's came in a few different offsets I think.

I have 18x8.5's on the front with a 235/40 tire and a 0 offset, and 20x8.5's on the rear with 235/30's and a +10 offset. This is on a 65 and required good rolling of the fender lips. You have much more space in your wheel wells so I don't see a bigger profile being an issue. Ride is a bit harsh but I have bearing control arms and strud rods, strong lowered springs etc, so I didn't notice anything when I swapped to bigger wheels over the 17's.

On the 17's I had, I ran a 234/45 series semi slick tire that runs a little large, and that fit both front and rear with an 8" 4.75 backpsace wheel. Fender lip rolling was required on the rear.

Please post a photo.  I've never seen a 65-66 with 18's much less than 8.5 width.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

11/18/2018 5:56 PM  #6

Probably 1.5" spacer required.  They do make wheels now that actually fit.  That would be my choice.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/19/2018 3:08 AM  #7

lowercasesteve wrote:

Husky65 wrote:

Please post a photo.  I've never seen a 65-66 with 18's much less than 8.5 width.

11/19/2018 10:00 AM  #8

wow!

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

11/19/2018 10:01 AM  #9

Not a big fan of the "Hot Wheels look" butt........that don't look bad "A'tall"!   VERY suh-weeeet look'in 66!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/19/2018 10:21 AM  #10

I like it.....thanks for sharing the pics....

11/19/2018 11:13 AM  #11

Oh man...inspiration!!  That is one really good looking car.  Thanks for sharing the pic, now...get it to the Bash. 

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/19/2018 1:13 PM  #12

Nasty!!! I like it!

11/19/2018 2:52 PM  #13

Thanks guys. Been through a few different combos before getting here. And I would bring it to the bash but I'm a bit too far away.

11/19/2018 4:49 PM  #14

Too far? Where do you live Husky? I'm a mere 2,275 miles away and will be there.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/19/2018 5:21 PM  #15

Around 9,500 miles away ha ha. I'm in Sydney Australia.

11/19/2018 5:35 PM  #16

Husky65 wrote:

Thought you were a bit far away after i noted the license plate on one car in your pic........maybe you could host the bash and we'll make the trip!

11/19/2018 7:15 PM  #17

Husky65 wrote:

You need to hook up with Barry (50Vert), he's a lot closer to you, practically next door in Queensland and he has made it to a number of Bashes...though not mine, and not with his car.  LOL

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/19/2018 9:08 PM  #18

As I've already mentioned, your car is one of my favourites in Oz.
Post some more pics so the guys here can see how we do it down under.
Seriously consider getting yourself to a Bash .... the most fun you can have standing up.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

11/19/2018 11:12 PM  #19

Husky65 wrote:

Well all righty then, nevermind. In my defense, I didn't detect a Barry accent in your writing. Speaking of Barry, if he can make the trek...

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.