FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/19/2018 9:26 PM  #1

Followed Mustang Steve's tail light repair steps.

Simple and easy.
Scott Drake and kiss my patootie. No more crappy electrical connections on overpriced tail light buckets. Now if there was only a way to fix the other crappy lights they produce.

11/20/2018 7:23 AM  #2

Re: Followed Mustang Steve's tail light repair steps.

I did this too. Steve is a pretty smart guy. IIRC, I also painted the inside of the bucket white.

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

11/20/2018 8:30 AM  #3

Ed, I did similar to ours with three sockets per side.  I installed a standard 1157 in the center and two LED 1157 replacements in the added sockets.  The standard bulb provides enough current draw to make the stock turn signal flasher work and the extra LEDs provide outstanding, bright light.  I did have to install a couple of diodes in the TS circuits to avoid signal cross-over but that was pretty simple.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (11/20/2018 8:30 AM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/20/2018 9:10 AM  #4

I was going to do it too but when I got mine apart I realized the PO had already done it and drilled the holes to big. Sooo, with the wonders of pop rivet technology I put a patch on them with the proper hole size hole.They don’t look “show quality”, that’s why no pic, but they’re solid and it cost nothing.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

11/20/2018 9:34 AM  #5

Rid yourself of those rust buckets and make something like  these, it'l free up some room in the trunk to boot!

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/20/2018 11:44 AM  #6

Bullet Bob wrote:

Ed, I did similar to ours with three sockets per side.  I installed a standard 1157 in the center and two LED 1157 replacements in the added sockets.  The standard bulb provides enough current draw to make the stock turn signal flasher work and the extra LEDs provide outstanding, bright light.  I did have to install a couple of diodes in the TS circuits to avoid signal cross-over but that was pretty simple.

BB

Yo, Señor Evans, might you have a wiring diagram and pictures for the knuckle dragging mouth breathers out here? Pretty please?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/20/2018 12:15 PM  #7

Well...no, butt (TS&T) I can prolly put something together before spring. 

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/21/2018 7:11 PM  #8

I found some neat resistors to wire into the LED rear lights on my 66. From Oreillys. I used two sided tape to attach them inside to the bottom of the rear buckets.
No need for special flashers.

Those Scott Drake rear lights are such crap. They do not hold the bulbs tight enough to the contacts for the bulbs to make a good connection.

Why has Scott Drake gone to selling garbage?  They used to be the go-to brand if you wanted the best. That is certainly not true any longer.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/21/2018 8:39 PM  #9

WHY?!!.......maybe its like when you were a youngster and peddled your bike up the big hill..(work with me here, I know there are no hills in Texas!) . You work and struggle and strain and FINALLY, you make it to the top.
Then, you start down on the other side and maybe peddle a few strokes and then the $$$ light comes on!
You say..."hey MS...you're going pretty fast now...just coast a while ain't nobody gonna notice"  You worked really hard getting to the top, you DESERVE  a break...ain't nobody gonna notice.
Scott Drake has a good reputation so now its time for "the-big-pay-off". Pocket the $$$ and don't worry about the quality...ain't nobody gonna notice.
They sell'in cheap Chineese  crap now... like ALL the rest of'em.

Last edited by 6sally6 (11/21/2018 8:41 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/21/2018 9:32 PM  #10

The stuff that Gary from http://www.vintageleds.com/home.html sells is the best of their type.
He's also doing 10% off till the 30th Nov.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

12/02/2018 10:01 PM  #11

MS wrote:

Those Scott Drake rear lights are such crap. They do not hold the bulbs tight enough to the contacts for the bulbs to make a good connection.

Why has Scott Drake gone to selling garbage? They used to be the go-to brand if you wanted the best. That is certainly not true any longer.

Because Scott Drake, the man, no longer owns Scott Drake, the company. Some "Investment Bank Group" bought the company with the obvious purpose of restructuring the company and selling it for a huge profit. Restructuring means selling the worst crap they can find for a big profit.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.