FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2019 8:50 PM  #26

Re: What did you do to your Mustang today?

I found a 64-1/2 vert I might buy. 

Last edited by ponyboy66 (3/04/2019 8:55 PM)

66 coupe 289 Weiand T5 3.40 disc brakes progressive coils Bilstein 4.5 leaf mid-eyes 1" front sway bar 16" wheels

3/04/2019 8:58 PM  #27

I parked my E150 work van next to my 65 today and yesterday and everyday!

3/04/2019 8:59 PM  #28

added an rad overflow tank/tube and plumbed it (tanks again BB)..........wind chill is minus 4 here this morning so, that was it for me......

3/05/2019 11:34 AM  #29

Bullet Bob wrote:

Thanks Jim.  Work on it all winter so I can drive it a couple of miles in the summer.

Oh also, not to change the subject but Barry (5.0Vert) is going to take delivery of your steering wheel at the Bash.

BB

That sounds like what I do too...LOL   Though this winter I was working on my Son's 351W engine for his instead of mine.

3/05/2019 1:01 PM  #30

You're a good dad, Steve.  Some day maybe he'll be able to do the same for your grandson.

You gonna make the Bash this year since it's nearly in your back yard?  It'd be good to see you again.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/05/2019 5:23 PM  #31

The welding I said yesterday was going to be done today didn't happen. Meanwhile I did replace the battery on my Focus RS so I could get it out of the way to get to the shelf where I had my air filter stored and while I was at the car parts store to buy the new battery I also picked up some steel pipe bends to use to build a cold air intake that we'll see what's it gonna look like as I most likely will take the "design as we go" approach on it.

3/05/2019 7:01 PM  #32

went out to the barn, looked at 'Ol paint and did the " I'm Thinking Circle"
Just like my computer does with increasing regularity.

Cman

3/05/2019 7:35 PM  #33

Bought a used 1994 T-5WC today. Thinking of putting a manual back in. I think (hope) the hardest part will be putting the clutch pedal asm back in. What else do I need to know?

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

3/05/2019 9:03 PM  #34

Bullet Bob wrote:

You're a good dad, Steve.  Some day maybe he'll be able to do the same for your grandson.

You gonna make the Bash this year since it's nearly in your back yard?  It'd be good to see you again.

BB

Thanks BB!   Im thinking about coming for the Day.  We'll see how it all plays out.     

3/06/2019 2:59 AM  #35

Hopefully you aren't going to install that engine the same way it's posted! ;)

I just finished taking an Accel 34000 dual point distributor and fixed all of the things Accel did wrong to make it a good distributor. I've been running an old Ford 351W marine dual point distributor (no vac. adv.) with the MSD 6T, MSD Adjustable Timing Control and adjustable rev limiter and bought the Accel distributor about 20 years ago so I could have a vacuum advance unit in the system. Unfortunately it ran like crap after I installed it so I yanked it after determining that it was a POS, put the Ford dual point back in and got things back to where they were. A quick examination showed that the breaker plate was sloppy, rocking back and forth as the points would load and unload, making accurate timing impossible. Since I had purchased the distributor months earlier and I couldn't return it, I set it off to the side to look at when I had some time to waste.

Fast forward about 20 years and the Ford dual point is getting worn (bushing play) and it's time for a distributor. I remembered the Accel and dug it up for a full evaluation which revealed that the breaker plate was the least of its problems. There was less than .001" end play between the shaft and housing (Ford spec .024"-.035"), the gear was improperly positioned on the shaft (@ 3.992" | Ford spec 4.031"-4.038") and one of the point mounting screws was so long that it pinned down the vacuum advance arm, blocking it from moving.

I hate to say that the box it came in proudly states :Made In U.S.A.

I tore it apart, shaved the bottom bushing to get .032" shaft play, re-drilled the gear to locate it at 4.036" on the shaft, made two Delrin inserts to stabilize the breaker plate and give it a slick surface to ride on, and got some shorter points screws!

Now it works like a charm and I'm dialing in the vacuum advance as weather allows. Yes, I could use a electronic trigger and I did at one time. After dying on the road with no backup pickup handy I went back to points and haven't looked back since. It works for this old dog.

Last edited by 351MooseStang (3/06/2019 3:01 AM)

3/06/2019 10:16 AM  #36

Dusted off the 65 and started putting the new long ball joints on the 95.

3/06/2019 12:51 PM  #37

351MooseStang wrote:

Hopefully you aren't going to install that engine the same way it's posted! ;)

You know It was straight in my pics but came out sideways when I posted it.  Crazy!

3/06/2019 1:37 PM  #38

So long as its fuel injected it'll run like that.  Just make sure you bend the oil pump pickup so its on the new bottom of the pan...

3/06/2019 4:31 PM  #39

Brents65 wrote:

I installed the new dash pad and gauges, also put the headliner in.  Still have to tighten and glue it.  It’s progress!

also buttoned up most of the rear.

Last edited by Brents65 (3/06/2019 4:32 PM)

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

3/06/2019 6:27 PM  #40

josh-kebob wrote:

nice.........what color is that??

Blue

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

3/06/2019 7:40 PM  #41

I agree. Definitely blue. 

3/06/2019 8:18 PM  #42

S. A.'s....always a couple of S. A.'s in the bunch.

BB

But yup, it really is blue.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/07/2019 3:20 AM  #43

RV6 wrote:

josh-kebob wrote:

nice.........what color is that??

Blue

Blue....viper blue metallic pearl...

3/07/2019 10:30 AM  #44

Steve69 wrote:

Bullet Bob wrote:

BB

Thanks BB!   Im thinking about coming for the Day.  We'll see how it all plays out.     

I really like your color theme on the engine. Very classy. What are you doing for oil dipstick?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/07/2019 10:46 AM  #45

Finally getting around to changing my master cylinder and proportioning valve. My car has been suffering from rear brake drag.  Not sure exactly why. I had a 92 Ranger disc/drum master cylinder with 1” bore. It does NOT have a residual pressure valve for the rear brakes. My car is disc/disc. I verified no rear valve by thoroughly disassembling the mc. My prop valve was from a disc/disc 1977 Lincoln Versailles that has been on the car since 1993.  I don’t think there is a failure mode on those where it would hold pressure on the rear brakes?  But, I figured some new, known-to-work items I have installed on customers’ cars can’t hurt.

I am going with simple 2000 Mustang 1” bore disc/disc master cylinder, adjustable proportioning valve and a 2psi residual pressure valve on both ends.  Of course, the 66 has a MustangSteve power brake conversion on it.

Something to consider...
I originally used the Ranger mc because it has the ports on the fender side. The 2000 mc has them on the engine side.  Fender side is preferred location.
After disassembling the 92 mc, I determined the castings for the mc body are idential on both of them, except for port location side of exit. It looks like I could use the internal parts from the 2000 mc in the 1992 mc body to achieve having ports on the fender side. The internals are configured a little different on the disc/disc mc, so that would give me a disc/disc mc with driver side ports and 1” bore. This is unavailable in any other configuration other than corvette style.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/07/2019 12:54 PM  #46

MS wrote:

After disassembling the 92 mc, I determined the castings for the mc body are idential on both of them, except for port location side of exit. It looks like I could use the internal parts from the 2000 mc in the 1992 mc body to achieve having ports on the fender side. The internals are configured a little different on the disc/disc mc, so that would give me a disc/disc mc with driver side ports and 1” bore. This is unavailable in any other configuration other than corvette style.

I believe I used the Ranger MC and then bought the 2000 mustang reservoir. I have disk/drum on mine.  Works really well! 

3/07/2019 4:09 PM  #47

Had to work on a presentation last night, but today I welded, used my new belt sander and then polished the power steering pump bracket, here it's back on my dusty engine:

3/07/2019 4:19 PM  #48

MS wrote:

Finally getting around to changing my master cylinder and proportioning valve. My car has been suffering from rear brake drag.  Not sure exactly why. I had a 92 Ranger disc/drum master cylinder with 1” bore. It does NOT have a residual pressure valve for the rear brakes. My car is disc/disc. I verified no rear valve by thoroughly disassembling the mc. My prop valve was from a disc/disc 1977 Lincoln Versailles that has been on the car since 1993.  I don’t think there is a failure mode on those where it would hold pressure on the rear brakes?  But, I figured some new, known-to-work items I have installed on customers’ cars can’t hurt.

I am going with simple 2000 Mustang 1” bore disc/disc master cylinder, adjustable proportioning valve and a 2psi residual pressure valve on both ends.  Of course, the 66 has a MustangSteve power brake conversion on it.

Something to consider...
I originally used the Ranger mc because it has the ports on the fender side. The 2000 mc has them on the engine side.  Fender side is preferred location.

If you do put that configuration together, please let us know how it works out. I’ve got the 2000 mc that came with the MS kit and it would be nice to have the outlet on the fender side.

3/07/2019 5:30 PM  #49

Brents65 wrote:

Chaplin wrote:

MS wrote:

Something to consider...

If you do put that configuration together, please let us know how it works out. I’ve got the 2000 mc that came with the MS kit and it would be nice to have the outlet on the fender side.

Is the 2psi residual valve needed? I too have disc/ disc with a 2000 mustang MC.

3/07/2019 6:40 PM  #50

I think I finally "whupped" those double flares on my new Master cylinder! The issue I had was caused by a crappy(like a fish!) flaring tool from Advance. I tried the O'Reilly one and it made a noticeable difference.  I have the best pedal I EVER had. Even when I had drum/drums and new shoes way back when. Went out and "abused-it" real good and now the Z-bar/bracket is doing wonky. Just a matter of adjustment.  Been too cold to do too much.  Gonna warm up to the 70's this weekend so maybe that concrete won't feel so cold.
Wish I knew how to do pics.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.