FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/07/2019 8:12 PM  #51

Re: What did you do to your Mustang today?

I put the back seat in after changing out the rear shocks. If I was 30 I would have changed the shocks through the trunk, but now that I'm twice + that age I decided to take the seat out.

Life is grand when you retire. Take your time, do it right.

Last edited by RV6 (3/07/2019 8:13 PM)

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

3/07/2019 10:54 PM  #52

The muffler shop pulled off the impossible navigating a maze of stuff like my panhard rod behind the rear axle.  Now I have 2 1/2" pipes from the headers back with a set of Flomaster 44s.  It is so much more pleasant to be around now that I don't have open headers...

Trailered it to and from the shop about 220 miles total in the rain.  

3/10/2019 10:17 AM  #53

The 2psi rpv is not a requirement. I have never used them in the past and had no issues. This is just an experiment so I can speak with a bit more knowledge when the question comes up. 

It kind of equates to my old statement that you learn more by doing someting wrong than by getting it right the first try.

I don’t think it will hurt anything to have them in the system.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/12/2019 7:59 PM  #54

Not today, but over the last month or so.....got tired of the belt squeal from the 3G. So, bought the HiPo alternator pulley and installed. It never goes as planned!! Sent the speedo and clock to Rocket man Classic Cougars for repair to the trip meter a make the clock work again. Its due back this week. Did a temporary install on the back up camera.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

3/12/2019 9:25 PM  #55

The A/C selector is supposed to turn on the compressor also when fog or deice is selected. So I removed the selector to invent a way to fix it. The rubber nubin that hits the micro switch is broken and missing.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

3/13/2019 5:12 PM  #56

I installed the new hood bumpers.  Started working on the axels.  I bought new cut to fit axels.  Got them cut down to size. I need to go pick up axels seals and lube and put it all back together...won’t be long and it will be a roller again!

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

3/13/2019 9:22 PM  #57

dropped the GT40P heads off at the engine builder/machine shop to have them freshened up.  Tearing down the short block, making my parts list in preparation for a rebuild....should be fun....

3/13/2019 10:06 PM  #58

josh-kebob wrote:

dropped the GT40P heads off at the engine builder/machine shop to have them freshened up.  Tearing down the short block, making my parts list in preparation for a rebuild....should be fun....

Is this in Mich. or Ok?
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/13/2019 11:37 PM  #59

Mike, it's in ok.....that's where we'll be for quite some time while Mrs JKB continues with her treatment...

3/14/2019 3:38 PM  #60

Today I test-drove the Heap after changing to a Fox V8 booster and rebuilding the front end.

The brakes are significantly better than with the Fox four cyl booster but the pedal travel is still about the same...3.5".  Hard stops from 45-50 bring it down very quick but do not tend to lock the front wheels until speed drops below about 20.  Butt (TS&T) both fronts lock equally and the car comes down straight.  On the other hand, the rears do not lock. 

The front end is stiff...all new...and does not want to return to center as well as it did before and it seems to have a little pull to the left (going both directions on the same highway).  I stopped messing with the alignment when I got 3.75 degrees of positive caster and >1/4 degree negative camber on both sides.  After the drive it seems to have a bit more caster on the left than the right now...I guess that could cause the left pull.

Over the weekend I will re-bleed the brakes via the pedal pump method and see if I can dial in the front end with around 4.5 degrees of caster on both sides.

Sure felt good, though, to drive the old Heap.  It's been a couple of months.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/14/2019 4:07 PM  #61

Disassembled the 5.0 today so, now its just a bare block on the engine stand which will likely get dropped off at the machine shop on Monday.....now it's time to fill up my cart at Rockauto and order all the goodies so they'll be here before the block is finished.  

3/14/2019 6:23 PM  #62

Upon re-assembly, don't forget to have the pistons turned backward for free HP!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/14/2019 7:19 PM  #63

6sally6 wrote:

Upon re-assembly, don't forget to have the pistons turned backward for free HP!
6sal6

ah, no..........I think I'll follow the ford engineers lead and install them like they did.......

3/14/2019 9:25 PM  #64

Bullet Bob wrote:

Today I test-drove the Heap after changing to a Fox V8 booster and rebuilding the front end.

The brakes are significantly better than with the Fox four cyl booster but the pedal travel is still about the same...3.5".  Hard stops from 45-50 bring it down very quick but do not tend to lock the front wheels until speed drops below about 20.  Butt (TS&T) both fronts lock equally and the car comes down straight.  On the other hand, the rears do not lock. 

The front end is stiff...all new...and does not want to return to center as well as it did before and it seems to have a little pull to the left (going both directions on the same highway).  I stopped messing with the alignment when I got 3.75 degrees of positive caster and >1/4 degree negative camber on both sides.  After the drive it seems to have a bit more caster on the left than the right now...I guess that could cause the left pull.

Over the weekend I will re-bleed the brakes via the pedal pump method and see if I can dial in the front end with around 4.5 degrees of caster on both sides.

Sure felt good, though, to drive the old Heap.  It's been a couple of months.

BB

Did the Blizzard miss you BB?

3/14/2019 9:50 PM  #65

We have had rain and high 30's for a week.  The we got a day of snow with the temp hovering near 40...so that didn't last long.  The the storm went over the mountain, joined up with another from the NW and just kicked the snot out of Denver.  Wouldn't bother me 'cept my kids are over there.  All are doing fine thought.
Today simi-sunny with temps in the mid 40's.  Going to 50s and sunny for the next five or six days.  Me thinks spring hath sprung.

Thanks for asking, Steve.  How about you guys?  Every one okay?

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/15/2019 2:23 PM  #66

HudginJ3 wrote:

Bought a used 1994 T-5WC today. Thinking of putting a manual back in. I think (hope) the hardest part will be putting the clutch pedal asm back in. What else do I need to know?

The 94 T5 has a longer input that the more desirable (for retrofit) 93 and earlier.  If you don't change out the input shaft, then you have to use the 1994-95 bellhousing, which has the cable entry bracket clocked lower on the driver side.  That is great on a 94-95 Mustang, but will very nastily interfere with the power steering lower ram on a 70 Mustang.  If you converted to Borgeson box, I think you are OK.
There is not a good cable clutch system available for the 70, so you have to go with the old horse/buggy z-bar or hydraulic.  If you use the z-bar, you will have to use a tranny adapter plate instead of the better T5 bellhousing.

3/15/2019 7:12 PM  #67

This tranny has 150 thou miles on it. It has the typical mud in it. Would you run it?

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

3/15/2019 8:07 PM  #68

I learned my lesson on used T5’s many years ago. Since then, nothing but brand new or Buzek-built will do. And, honestly, I have had better luck with Buzek-built than the new ones.

3/16/2019 6:16 PM  #69

HudginJ3 wrote:

This tranny has 150 thou miles on it. It has the typical mud in it. Would you run it?

Nope.......have it rebuilt or do it yourself.  Lots of good info out there on how to do it.......much easier than an AT rebuild....

3/16/2019 6:31 PM  #70

I drove mine to work, yesterday and today...

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

3/16/2019 7:29 PM  #71

Think I FINALLY solved my Z-bar-jumping-out-of-the-frame-bracket problem.
WIWAIT I filled my T-5 with a dab of A/T fluid.
Discovered a way to fill it from underneath and not dribble fluid everywhere!
(Go ahead Don!..make the comment )
Road test felt good!!
6sal6

3/18/2019 8:00 AM  #72

150k miles its definitely time for a rebuild.  Personally I'd just change the input shaft to the '85-'93 one.  The SN95 bellhousing was a two year only offering, whereas the Fox ones are much easier to find. 

T5s take a beating in use.  Be prepared to replace the reverse idler gear, the 1/2 slider, and likely the 2nd speed gear at a minimum.  I've yet to rebuild a T5 that didn't need at least the first two.  The 2nd speed gear takes a beating from hard 1/2 shifts, usually with a factory shifter.  Do yourself a favor and get a Pro 5.0.

One trick that is inexpensive to get a T5 a bit more durability is to install a billet countergear rear bearing retainer.  This allows you to preload the countergear by 0.003", which eliminates oscillation induced failures common with the stock stamped retainer.  The mainshaft should get the same preload.  Its not going to magically make the gears stronger, or eliminate mainshaft flex, but it will be better than stock.  In the right application it can mean the difference between survival and breakage. 

3/20/2019 9:52 PM  #73

I put in a new clutch in the ‘92 5.0 coupe last week. I did a clutch job on it 20 years ago and it took a couple of long afternoons.  This time it took more like 7 long afternoons.  However, I replaced much more this time. New rear main seal, block plate, flywheel, pilot bearing, disk, pressure plate, throw out bearing, fork, stud, steel sleeve T5 bearing retainer. The original aluminum T5 sleeve had the customary grooves in it that I did not notice 20 years and 160K miles ago. The ATF fluid that I was running looked extremely good but has now given way to 2.8 quarts of Royal Purple Syncromax. Friday in goes a new steering rack. The T5 will not be rebuilt yet.  There are now 288K+ miles on the engine/heads/trans/rear and I’m going to take them to the Nth degree. It still passed CA smog last summer with the smog tech guy shaking his head in bewilderment. HAHAHAHA 😇. 
NEW CA CATS. FOR THIS THING ARE ONLY MADE BY MAGNAFLOW AND ARE OVER $1000 !!!  Yikes. And everyone has the same price on these.  I have found no variation.  It’s not like I can go to Rock auto, Summit, or even Amazon and find a price break. At least not since last summer when I last looked.
Cheers!
Oh, can anyone explain to me why an oil level sensor which resides in the oil pan should cost more than the oil pan itself?  Just wondering.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

3/20/2019 11:18 PM  #74

Took the 5.0 roller block to the machine shop today to have vatted/cleaned, new freeze plugs and cam bearings installed.  FedEx showed with my recent RockAuto order so once the block and heads are ready, it'll be build time.  I'm a little put out with RockAuto.......they didn't include any of their "magnets" with this order. Was hoping to add a few more to the collection adorning lid of my tool chest......maybe that 5 percent discount means........no magnets for you...
Yesterday, I started going through all the boxes of fastback parts the previous owner decided to remove years ago....decided I'm going to "reassemble" as much as possible so I know what parts I have and what parts I may need.  Plus when we move, I'll either drive or winch a complete car on the trailer vs lugging boo-ku boxes of parts.   I'll tell ya, it's like a giant "snipe" hunt trying to find stuff that someone removed years ago.  Managed to install the tail light assemblies, headlight, ignition, wiper switches, cig lighter, and ash tray.  Rear valance and bumper are next, once I find the hardware as are the headlight buckets, grille, front bumper, yada, yada....

3/21/2019 9:36 AM  #75

Monday I finished the final alignment tweaks and my Falcon bud came by to help me re-bleed the binders.  Still have a bit more pedal travel than I'd prefer...by plugging the MC one circuit at a time I determined that the problem is the front brakes (08 GT) not the rear Explorers as I previously thought.  They do work very well though so for now I'll be happy.

The alignment with my new one-piece wedge shims came out at zero camber and 3.75 degrees of positive caster on both sides.  The car feels very solid but it still has a bit of left pull.  Been doing this since I put it back on the road in 2015...right after I had a local guy align it.  Gonna check a couple of ideas between now and the Bash, see if I can get rid of that annoying pull.  Other than that, I'm gonna try not to do anything but drive it for the next couple of years.....RIGHT!

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (3/21/2019 9:38 AM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.