FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/14/2019 8:45 PM  #1

4v Cast Iron Intake vs Aluminum for Autolite 4100 1.08

Hello everyone, I'm new here and could really use some help. I have a 65 mustang with a 1968 302 engine and original c4 tranny. I'm about to do a 4v upgrade to it and the more i look for information the more I confuse myself with everything i am reading. My engine is bone stock. Not trying to race, but i do want it to have a little kick here and there.

I already purchase an autolite 4100 1.08 carburetor and currently looking for cast iron 4v intake (preferably) but open to using an aluminum as well. I have read that some aluminum intakes may have issues in terms of leaks because the base of the intake where the carb sits doesn't seal properly. Is there an aluminum intake that is close to the original 4v intake specs? I was looking at the weiand stealth. I did find 2 different 4v cast iron intakes (1 from a 289 and 1 from a 302 cougar). Am I better off with the cast iron to avoid any issues? Do cast irons have any issues to look out for such as heating?

Also, I noticed that my Autolite requires a heat pipe (not sure this is the proper name) that runs from the carb to the exhaust manifold to extract hot air, but my current carb doesn't have it. My current carb is the original 2v which also has that feature, but it has a rubber cap on it. I tried to look for the area where the pipe would connect to on the exhaust but i'm not sure what to look for to be honest. What happens if I put the rubber cap on the 4v carb without connecting the hot air line to it? will it affect performance? If I buy the electric choke conversion for it will that bypass the issue with not having that line already set up?

Sorry i'm all over the place. I'm doing the work myself so I'm learning as i go. I appreciate the responses.

3/14/2019 9:01 PM  #2

Re: 4v Cast Iron Intake vs Aluminum for Autolite 4100 1.08

If you don't hook up the line from the exhaust manifold to the carb the choke won't work. 

IMO, I would throw that Autolite carb on eBay and buy an Edelbrock Performer intake and 1406 carb and be done with it.  The Edelbrock carbs run great out of the box, and are easy to tune.  Get your timing set properly and you will be amazed at how much power even a stock engine will put out. 

3/14/2019 9:43 PM  #3

First of all, welcome to the best place on the web.  I hope your stay is long and fruitful.  And, when you get that '65 all dialed in you may want to hook up with RPM, Vicfonz and some of the other SoCal members and consider a road trip to a Bash....most legal fun you are likely to have in an old Mustang.
Now...
There are folks out there who will tell you that the Autolite 4100 is the best carb ever built.  I can't say, as I've never owned or messed with one.  I will say that unless you are already very knowledgeable or willing to study and learn and scrounge proper parts, the 4100 may...I say may...be more trouble than it's worth. 
I have messed with an EB 1406 and I can say that it is very easy to dial in and should be just about perfect for your 302.  I set one up for a Chevy 307 and when finished it was running back and forth from here to Hemet, CA in a 67 Chev PU and delivering a very reliable 17-20 MPG with very good performance. 
It will run "out of the box" but I hope you will take the time to make sure it's right.  Very minor changes to jets and metering rods can make a huge difference in carb. performance.
Good luck and welcome again to the forum.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/14/2019 9:47 PM  #4

Welcome to the site. It's a great group of folks here.

I would go with an aluminum intake over a factory cast iron. Less weight, better performance, and probably easier to find.

If you have the carb, it's in descent shape, and you want to use it, then do so. I hear they are reliable, I've never worked with one. There was a thread on here not too long ago that addressed the sealing issues you are referring to, tips on how to correct, and how he actually fixed it.

For the choke tube, I agree with TKO that the choke won't work right without it. The original exhaust manifold should have a blind recess in it to accept the end of the tubing. I think it would be on the top side toward the back of the exhaust manifold. It's not supposed to penetrate to the inside passages to meet up with exhaust gases. You can google 67 Mustang choke tube and get some good images. After googling, my location was close. 

When I didn't have anything for connecting the tube at the exhaust manifold, I made a small box pattern from card stock that I could fold into shape with tabs for joining at the overlaps. Then transfer to sheet metal. I'm not a great welder, so I use sheet metal screws and pop rivets.

Secure to the manifold by the attaching bolts or stainless zip ties to the manifold itself. Just throwing out some options.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

3/15/2019 6:29 AM  #5

A lot of time the choke heat tube broke off in the manifold, and that's why its missing.  If it ties in at the top it shouldn't be that hard to drill out the broken off end to allow installation of a replacement.  If its on the side, as it was in my '67, you will need an angle drill to do this in the car.  Reproduction tubes are commonly available, and fairly easy to install.  You can use a tight fitting open end wrench as a mandrel to drive the tube into the exhaust manifold. 

BUT, an electric choke is easier, especially if you ever have to take the carb back off.  The choke on my 1406 Edelbrock required no adjusting, and worked great right out of the box.  The only change I made to the warm up was to lower the fast idle setting to 1.500RPM (it was 2,000 out of the box); a simple turn of a screw. 

The problem with the Autolite carbs, and I ran one for years, is that making changes to them is not easy because Ford/Autolite treated the knowledge surrounding these carbs like a state secret.  Parts are considerably more difficult to find, and there's a whole numbering system that goes along with the jets that is not necessarily logical.  Of course, with enough knowledge and time anyone can get anything to work. 

For me, I'd rather enjoy my car than tinker with the carb.  Edelbrocks are everywhere.  Tuning kits and guides are everywhere.  They tune easily and logically.  They also aren't 40-50 years old.  Shaft bores eventually wear out, and aren't always easily spotted, but show up as an impossible to diagnose intermittent rough running issue that stems from a vacuum leak.  You can have the bores bushed to restore the seal, etc., but why?  More money and time, and more chasing your tail.  Autolites are great for a concourse restoration.  For a running, driving car you want to enjoy I wouldn't use anything but an Edelbrock. 

3/15/2019 11:21 AM  #6

TKOPerformance wrote:

If you don't hook up the line from the exhaust manifold to the carb the choke won't work. 

IMO, I would throw that Autolite carb on eBay and buy an Edelbrock Performer intake and 1406 carb and be done with it.  The Edelbrock carbs run great out of the box, and are easy to tune.  Get your timing set properly and you will be amazed at how much power even a stock engine will put out. 

Thanks for the reply. What engine are you running your 1406 carb on? Is there a difference between the performer and the avs series carbs?

3/15/2019 11:27 AM  #7

Bullet Bob wrote:

First of all, welcome to the best place on the web.  I hope your stay is long and fruitful.  And, when you get that '65 all dialed in you may want to hook up with RPM, Vicfonz and some of the other SoCal members and consider a road trip to a Bash....most legal fun you are likely to have in an old Mustang.
Now...
There are folks out there who will tell you that the Autolite 4100 is the best carb ever built.  I can't say, as I've never owned or messed with one.  I will say that unless you are already very knowledgeable or willing to study and learn and scrounge proper parts, the 4100 may...I say may...be more trouble than it's worth. 
I have messed with an EB 1406 and I can say that it is very easy to dial in and should be just about perfect for your 302.  I set one up for a Chevy 307 and when finished it was running back and forth from here to Hemet, CA in a 67 Chev PU and delivering a very reliable 17-20 MPG with very good performance. 
It will run "out of the box" but I hope you will take the time to make sure it's right.  Very minor changes to jets and metering rods can make a huge difference in carb. performance.
Good luck and welcome again to the forum.

BB

thank you for the warm welcome, i'll certainly reach out to the fellow members down here in SoCal. Going out to a Bash would be a fun experience, definitely when I get the car going.

I don't remember where I read it but I had came across a different forum online when i was googling for answers before joining this group that talked about using a 500cfm carb. Would a 600cfm be too big for my 302 engine if its stock?

3/15/2019 11:40 AM  #8

Thanks TKO and Bolted for the extra information regarding the choke tube. After googling 67 mustang like suggested, i checked on my car and indeed find where mine used to be. It appears as if the previous owner either removed it or it fell because it looks clean, no breaks or plugged at the exhaust manifold.

The more i think about it, I prob will end up just going with the eddie carb and intake. I found the Autolite rebuilt at a local performance swap meet in long beach last weekend, but i'm pretty sure I can sell it.

3/15/2019 2:01 PM  #9

ponyboy65 wrote:

I don't remember where I read it but I had came across a different forum online when i was googling for answers before joining this group that talked about using a 500cfm carb. Would a 600cfm be too big for my 302 engine if its stock?

As long as it's for normal DD, street use I always felt that most guys tend to go too big.  You certainly could get away with the 600 but in my experience the 500 will be easier to dial in for a 300 inch engine and will provide better 'off-idle" response with plenty of top end.  The stock 289 came with a 480 cfm 4100, as I recall.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/15/2019 2:30 PM  #10

Just a note I don't think was mentioned.
The Autolite carb cannot be bolted directly to the factory cast iron intake without the aluminum plate that goes between it and the manifold.  The plate covers the vacuum passages on the carb that are open to atmosphere without it.  It pretty much won't run without it.

Some older aluminum intakes had a minimalist mounting surface for the carbs and also exposed vacuum passages.  Most modern aluminum intakes that you would be buying new will have a large flat surface that won't cause any problems.

This is an older Edelbrock F4B aluminum manifold.  Note thinner sealing surfaces.

This is an newer version Edelbrock F4B aluminum manifold.  Note wider sealing surfaces.

Above is a modern aluminum intake.  Most makers have gone to this style mounting pad for the carb.  It does not cause problems.  Note: on ebay, you can buy this aluminum intake SHIPPED for around $125.  It has a no-name.  I have used two of them and they are very good quality.  I see no difference except NO NAME and SOMEONE ELSE PAID FOR THE RESEARCH.  They work fine.

This is a stock 289 cast iron intake, showing the voids.

This is the required spacer, or at least something similar.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/15/2019 3:27 PM  #11

I purchased an Autolite 4100 (1.12) from Pony Carburetors about 18 years ago and installed it on a 347. I removed all choke components to increase airflow and if I can find the choke tube, its yours. On the dyno, the car was lean and it was a simple task, all of ten minutes, to change jetting to correct the air/fuel ratio. Given my engine configuration, flywheel, pressure plate, etc. the Autolite does a fairly good job throughout the rpm range. I agree with previous posters that the Edelbrock is a good, easy to tune, carburetor.

I would be wary of a used Autolite for all of the reasons previously stated. If I were to do over, I would probably go with fuel injection. Considering your engine output, you might want to investigate something like a Fitech fuel injection system that you could probably install, with fuel pump and fuel lines for less than $1000. I don't know the cost of an Edelbrock carb, but by the time you purchase the carb, fittings, tuning components and add in your time, and perhaps dyno time,  to tune, you might approach the cost of installing fuel injection. Good luck on whatever you decide.

3/15/2019 3:28 PM  #12

I purchased an Autolite 4100 (1.12) from Pony Carburetors about 18 years ago and installed it on a 347. I removed all choke components to increase airflow and if I can find the choke tube, its yours. On the dyno, the car was lean and it was a simple task, all of ten minutes, to change jetting to correct the air/fuel ratio. Given my engine configuration, flywheel, pressure plate, etc. the Autolite does a fairly good job throughout the rpm range. I agree with previous posters that the Edelbrock is a good, easy to tune, carburetor.

I would be wary of a used Autolite for all of the reasons previously stated. If I were to do over, I would probably go with fuel injection. Considering your engine output, you might want to investigate something like a Fitech fuel injection system that you could probably install, with fuel pump and fuel lines for less than $1000. I don't know the cost of an Edelbrock carb, but by the time you purchase the carb, fittings, tuning components and add in your time, and perhaps dyno time,  to tune, you might approach the cost of installing fuel injection. Good luck on whatever you decide.

3/15/2019 4:59 PM  #13

boss347convertible wrote:

Yes, and FiTech makes a 2 barrel that is supposed to fit on your 2 barrel manifold.  Give them a call.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

3/15/2019 6:38 PM  #14

MS wrote:

Just a note I don't think was mentioned.
The Autolite carb cannot be bolted directly to the factory cast iron intake without the aluminum plate that goes between it and the manifold.  The plate covers the vacuum passages on the carb that are open to atmosphere without it.  It pretty much won't run without it.

Some older aluminum intakes had a minimalist mounting surface for the carbs and also exposed vacuum passages.  Most modern aluminum intakes that you would be buying new will have a large flat surface that won't cause any problems.

This is an older Edelbrock F4B aluminum manifold.  Note thinner sealing surfaces.

This is an newer version Edelbrock F4B aluminum manifold.  Note wider sealing surfaces.

Above is a modern aluminum intake.  Most makers have gone to this style mounting pad for the carb.  It does not cause problems.  Note: on ebay, you can buy this aluminum intake SHIPPED for around $125.  It has a no-name.  I have used two of them and they are very good quality.  I see no difference except NO NAME and SOMEONE ELSE PAID FOR THE RESEARCH.  They work fine.

This is a stock 289 cast iron intake, showing the voids.

This is the required spacer, or at least something similar.

Thanks for the detailed message with all of the photos, they're a good reference. The intake with the no name, is it sold by summit or how would i go about searching for it on ebay? Thanks

3/15/2019 8:09 PM  #15

Do a search on ebay for sbf aluminum intake.
The first one that popped up was the same one I bought. It shows for $149.99.
Look for other sellers with same. Last one I bought for best offer of $125 shipped. Prices vary by vendor.

3/15/2019 8:35 PM  #16

I have a 4100 on my 65 coupe and I'm running an alum intake from Ford Performance.  If you care to look it up, the part number is: M-9424-F302.  A tad bit more $$ then the ones MS mentioned but, another option for you none the less.  I shopped around and got it on sale......

3/16/2019 6:29 AM  #17

ponyboy65 wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Thanks for the reply. What engine are you running your 1406 carb on? Is there a difference between the performer and the avs series carbs?

A-code 289 (factory 4 barrel, hydraulic lifter).

The primary difference I believe is that the AVS series has vacuum secondaries whereas the Performer series has mechanical secondaries.  I prefer mechanical secondaries, especially with a manual transmission.  Potentially easier to tune, though I've not heard of anyone really having tuning issues with the AVS series carbs. 

I get the low cost on the eBay manifolds, but let's consider what we're really supporting.  That manifold is clearly an Edelbrock knock off, so the company that paid for the research did so in America, with American workers, and also builds their prodcuts in America.  The company making it is 1000% located in China, and essentially stole Edelbrock's intellectual property, and due to international patent laws aren't going to be held accountable for it.  At some point, the rubber has to meet the road when we say that we want to buy American products so Americans work.  American products cost more, but I'd rather pay more and support our own than send my money to a communist nation who's been robbing us blind for decades while masquerading as out friend.  Sorry, don't mean to get preachy and/or political, but its something that matters to me, and hopefully to y'all as well. 

Last edited by TKOPerformance (3/16/2019 6:38 AM)

3/16/2019 7:57 AM  #18

I have1966 Ranchero with a 302 out of a 1975 Granada. When I put the engine in I replaced the intake with an aluminum one from Edelbrock and a Edelbrock 600 I had used on a 351. Now I am not as talented with carbs as several of the guys here and never could make the the car like I wanted. Bought a 1406 500 and right out of the box ran great only thing I had to change was the idle adjustment. That was 5 years ago and still runs great. 

3/16/2019 5:47 PM  #19

I bought a 1.08 4100 carb for my 289. (Is that enough numbers in one sentence) Part of the reason was they seemed to be well liked and simplistic and part was I wanted to rebuild a carb. If I was to buy purely on best carb and ease of use, I'd probable go with  the Edelbrock  that other have stated. I did buy an electric choke kit for mine, I think form the same place I bought the rebuild kit, Mikes carbs.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

3/16/2019 6:09 PM  #20

TKOPerformance wrote:

ponyboy65 wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

A-code 289 (factory 4 barrel, hydraulic lifter).

The primary difference I believe is that the AVS series has vacuum secondaries whereas the Performer series has mechanical secondaries.  I prefer mechanical secondaries, especially with a manual transmission.  Potentially easier to tune, though I've not heard of anyone really having tuning issues with the AVS series carbs. 

I get the low cost on the eBay manifolds, but let's consider what we're really supporting.  That manifold is clearly an Edelbrock knock off, so the company that paid for the research did so in America, with American workers, and also builds their prodcuts in America.  The company making it is 1000% located in China, and essentially stole Edelbrock's intellectual property, and due to international patent laws aren't going to be held accountable for it.  At some point, the rubber has to meet the road when we say that we want to buy American products so Americans work.  American products cost more, but I'd rather pay more and support our own than send my money to a communist nation who's been robbing us blind for decades while masquerading as out friend.  Sorry, don't mean to get preachy and/or political, but its something that matters to me, and hopefully to y'all as well. 

I won't argue against the BUY AMERICAN vibe. One attraction of those manifolds, other than cost, is the absence of advertising cast into it.  It has no lettering, which I like.

3/21/2019 4:38 AM  #21

I bought a 1.08 4100 carb for my 289. (Is that enough numbers in one sentence) Part of the reason was they seemed to be well liked and simplistic and part was I wanted to rebuild a carb. If I was to buy purely on best carb and ease of use, I'd probable go with  the Edelbrock  that other have stated. I did buy an electric choke kit for mine, I think form the same place I bought the rebuild kit, Mikes carbs.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

3/21/2019 7:36 AM  #22

If the engine is stock along with stock exhaust manifolds, going to a 4V carb will probably give modest improvement wether a stock cast iron or aluminum. It will only show big improvement if the current intake is a significant point of restriction to air flow. That includes the heads, cam and exhaust system. If you plan on making improvement to the heads, either porting the stock or aftermarket, better cam, free flowing exhaust, then you’ll see a big improvement.
M
I’ve been running Edelbrock carbs for years. They’re very forgiving and usually will run smoothly even if horribly mis matched for the motor. I had a worn out 71 302, stock exhaust manifolds, single exhaust. When I put the motor in for chuckles I put a 66 cast iron 4V intake along with a used 600 Edelbrock. Despite this poorly matched set up, it ran smooth. It was a dog but it ran smooth. The 4100 1.08 Venturi is a great carb with it’s annular boosters. However they are getting harder and harder to find in unmolested constructions with the correct parts. A lot of them are a mishmash of parts. The Summit carb is very much based off the 4100 with the same important features. I would check them out as well. The 500 cfm would be ideal.

Another reason to stick with a USA made intake. While the outside of the offshore version looks the same, it’s the shape and casting quality of the runners. They tend to have sharper bends and intersections with rougher casting textures. Check out YouTube. One person had a Chinese Wieand that he kept having sealing problems with the intake to head gasket surfaces warping. He traced it to thin casting around the bolt bosses on the intake. It was allowing the intake to warp when torqued to specs and leak.

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

3/25/2019 10:02 AM  #23

Not as much support for the 4100 as I expected. I personally have had the best luck with them. Once set, I've had trouble free operation.

The hot air pick up tube simply warms the thermostatic spring to disengage the choke sooner. You can clamp the tube directly to the exhaust manifold (or header) in which ever fashion that suits and heated air will be drawn into the choke housing.

Allstate carburetors is a great source for jets-
https://allcarbs.com/product/motorcraft-ford-autolite-main-jets/

Last edited by Jon Richard (3/25/2019 10:03 AM)

3/25/2019 10:37 AM  #24

When I had a 289 in my 68 with Tri-y headers and  4100 carb I made this clamp on choke stove, I used an O/E filter inside of it. I bent some stainless tube from it up to the two ports on the  4100.
 I worked as good as the the one on the old cast iron manifold.
 My 4100 was restored by John Enyeart T Pony ncarbs, sadly he is gone as is Pony Carbs.

Last edited by Rudi (3/25/2019 10:40 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/25/2019 12:22 PM  #25

Same story here Rudi, 289 with tri y's and a pony carbs spreadbore 4100 with a home made choke stove. I used copper line with a braided heat insulation sleeve. I wish I had a pic to share. So similar that really gave me a tickle ;).

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.