FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/28/2019 6:52 PM  #1

Truth in Advertising

"The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information"

Yup, you are.

6 yrs. ago the nice folks at Corvette Forum, C2 sub, gave me all sorts of assistance when I purchased my 1966 Vette. I even stayed at a member's home for several days when I & a friend flew from Calif. to Florida to inspect & complete the purchase from a dealer. We had a fun time & I just added all the bucks I spent on beer to the total price of the car.....no worries....don't need a place this time...plus I don't want to be responsible for any more broken marriages.

With my latest purchase of a 1965 F/B, hot-rod Mustang, my research didn't cough up a forum of CF's equivalent quality...till I found this one. Thumbs up to ya.

I could tell the Mustang had cooling issues reading in-between the lines of the car's description on Bring A Trailer....but as Good Look'n (that applies to both me & the car) as it was, & at a could-do price, I bought it. Then drove it home from Utah to Calif.

If you want to read about a 400 mile drive w/ a hot Mustang & hot babes w/ pics, go here
>>
https://bringatrailer.com/2017/07/20/bat-auction-success-story-modified-1965-ford-mustang-garners-lots-of-attention-on-400-mile-drive-home/
<<<<<

Since I had to fix my Vette's overheating (in traffic also) I knew what had to be done with the new purchase.

VETTE                                                                                             MUSTANG

• Replaced oem rad w/ Dewitt aluminum                                    Ordered
  • Removed water guards in hood scope                                    need to open hood under fake scope
  • Replaced oem fan for one w/ more blades                               replace electric w/ many bladed mechanical fan
  • Seal leaks around fan shroud                                                 buy shroud
  • Replaced oem fan clutch w/ one that starts                                **see below
  • sooner & has higher rpm's

I like the my rad hoses, but realize they're not the best for coolant flow. If necessary, they'll be changed. I'll get a thermostat that opens a tad sooner also.

** Does anyone have advice on which fan clutch & fan to get & where? In my searching I haven't found a clutch  that gives specific numbers, just that they're "better" or "bigger". Any fans that have CFM numbers?

I've read the many posts here on this topic & they've all given me stuff to consider. Note that I've decided against getting the wider '67 rad at this stage or to switch the rad outlet from passenger side.

Please comment on other improvements I should consider.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

3/28/2019 7:53 PM  #2

Re: Truth in Advertising

Great story, and welcome to the best place on the web.  I know you don't want to go to a bigger radiator but it really isn't very complex and can make a huge improvement.  20" two row (1" tubes) aluminum radiator from Virginia Classic Mustang with a right side (or left) lower hose; Proper fan shroud;  Thermal clutch fan with a 17" OEM six blade fixed fan from an 89 or 90 Crown Vic, Town Car or Merc Marq.;  Stainless spring in the lower hose to prevent hose collapse at speed.  
I have used this same formula on two cars with great success.  Our 66 was tested by driving it to Las Vegas in June '15 with the AC on and the ambient temp in Vagas right at 120....no over heating!  Unless it was bored way thin, that 347 should not make much more heat under normal conditions than a properly set up 5.0/302.
Option:  Instead of the fixed fan on a clutch use a 17" flex fan solid to the water pump pulley.  Also, I say to use an OEM Ford steel fan because I cannot recommend the available after market fixed steel fans...see "Custom Hood Scoop" thread on this forum.
For instructions to install the 20" rad see tips on the MS website.  Or...just remove 1.5 inches from each side of the core support opening and drill new holes...that simple.

Also:  Get that beauty reliable and follow RPM this way when he comes here to hook up with us  on the way to the Bash in Michigan mid June.   You'll be glad you did.

Good luck, beautiful car.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/29/2019 5:18 AM  #3

First, welcome to the forum.  I post here about my '67 fastback, but I enjoy all manner of vehicles.  My Dad and uncle had a bunch of Vettes growing up.  The baddest of which was my uncle's '67 L88. 

Second, why do you think you should replace an electric fan with a mechanical one?  Consider that all new cars have electric fans.  If the car has an electric fan and it isn't cooling properly there are a litany of reasons as to why that have nothing to do with the fan.  Also, all electric fans are not created equal.  Cheap fans don't move enough air to properly cool, and the motors aren't sealed so they don't last.  A good fan uses 10 amps per 1,000 cfm air moved.  If the fan has say a 20 amp fuse you know its moving 2,000 cfm or less.  You will see fans advertised all the time claiming they move 3,000 cfm and draw 20 amps.  That's because the fans were not tested with a radiator in front of them.  In open air the ability of the fan to move air is significantly increased, and totally bogus, unless your car has no radiator.  My research led me to go with a SPAL fan (30102082).  I also built my own fan controller using two relays.  I've driven my car in 100+ degree heat and the engine ran at hottest 205 degrees.  I have a 3 row copper/brass radiator, stock water pump, and a 180 degree t-stat.  With the mechanical fan, even shrouded, the car would have overheated under those conditions.

Third, I would not run a t-stat of less than 180 degrees.  If everything else is right you should have no problem keeping the car cool with a 180.  The lower the operating temperature of the engine the greater the engine wear.  This relationship is not linear; its exponential, so the difference between a 160 and a 180 is not as insignificant as it would seem; its along the order of a 30% increase in cylinder wall wear.  New vehicles run t-stats in the 195 degree range, which is part of why newer engines seem to last so much longer than older ones. 

Fourth, with the engine in your car an unknown its hard to know what the PO did.  The potential problem you have is that there are two water pump configurations for SBF (two rotation directions anyway let's not inundate the guy with the minutia of length, etc.).  Each has its own timing cover with the water inlet passages clocked accordingly.  The 5.0 used a reverse rotation pump designed for a serpentine belt.  The older cars used a standard rotation pump with v-belts.  Swapping a 5.0 to v-belts iasn't as simple as just changing the water pump and accessory drive.  If you fail to change the timing cover you'll likely get overheating,. especially in a high performance application. 

Finally, there's no magic cure to overheating.  Throwing money art the problem will lighten your wallet, but likely solve nothing.  Keeping these cars cools isn't rocket science; its the right combination of parts working together.  The first thing to do to correct it is to figure out what's not right or not working in the current setup. 

3/29/2019 10:11 AM  #4

Thanks to both of you & the welcome...you bring up good points.

Bullet Bob>
Glad you liked the story. It was a fun trip, even w/ the overheating (I got lucky that it didn't happen in the vast wasteland).

I was going to install the larger rad at first (did read MS's article). Since the Vette's overheating was cured, I decided to do the same things here. If it doesn't, I'll see if anyone wants a very slightly used Dewitt rad!

Why is the "89 or 90 Crown Vic, Town Car or Merc Marq" better than a Mustang unit? Larger?...moves more air?

Read that post...ouch!...I'll try to get a proper steel oem...sure as hell will stay away from Derale.

I'll look into that trip....I don't show my oldies, I drive 'em! Longest trip so far was the coastal route (1k miles) to No.Calif. in the vette...lot's of fun.

TKO>
"my uncle's '67 L88".....OMG....OMG....OMG!!!
If that had stayed in your family, it sure would increase a relative's net worth, eh?

I've read lot's of discussions about the electric vs. mechanical fan debate. There's merit to both sides. For now, I'm going the mechanical route.

If you check out my trip article, I drove through LV w/ the car after buying it. I wouldn't have made it past the town if it was summer.

You're right about the thermostat...lot's of folks think it'll help w/ overheating & it's the first thing they try (to no avail)

Afraid you lost me on your comments about the timing cover. Would it help if you saw my engine setup? If you go to the Bring a trailer link, it points to the auction with professional video & pics the seller made.

Last edited by Good Look'n (3/29/2019 10:18 AM)

3/29/2019 10:30 AM  #5

Good Look'n wrote:

Why is the "89 or 90 Crown Vic, Town Car or Merc Marq" better than a Mustang unit? Larger?...moves more air?

Why...because it's Ford OEM and it has likely proven itself to be reliable.  And, it's the right size (17") and it's the proper rotation (CW) and it's not 60 years old (only thirty)...though I'm running the seven blade that I think came on our 66 with factory (not dealer installed) AC.  I do still have the six blade that came off of the Lincoln TC donor car where my core engine/trans, EFI, etc. came from on the shelf.  After the Falcon experience I will be pulling that old fan for an inspection before the Bash trip this year.

Good luck, hope you make a bash trip one day if not this year.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/29/2019 10:53 AM  #6

OK...I'm guessing you're talking (writing?) about getting one from a junk yard, not a new one from one of the Classic Mustang vendors, eh?

3/29/2019 11:58 AM  #7

Bullet Bob wrote:

.........snip........
Also:  Get that beauty reliable and follow RPM this way when he comes here to hook up with us  on the way to the Bash in Michigan mid June.   You'll be glad you did.

Good luck, beautiful car.
BB

Just checked the trip out. Damn, it really looks like fun but at a 5k mile round trip, it's more than time permits this year. Going w/ RPM would be cool but I'll keep it in mind for next year (if this is a yearly event).

Speaking of cool...once this overheating prob goes away, I'm installing a vintage A/C system...at this stage in my life, the only time I'm willing to sweat is when I'm making all my many 20yr old girlfriends happy

3/29/2019 12:44 PM  #8

Hello Good Lookin , i had my first overheating issue the day after installed vintage air , finally solved with champion rad 3 row . Try elect. fan with not noticeable improve from oem . now i got 5 fan oem with no shrud and temp is constant perfect , and never seen 200 f  with a digital temp send unit . 
think twice on v belt  cause serpentine  works better.   Bye !

3/29/2019 1:46 PM  #9

Alessandro wrote:

Hello Good Lookin ........snip......

Bet you say that to all the guys.......(been waiting for someone to say that).

Ya, definitely have to lick the heat prob before considering A/C. Seems the new rad did the trick for you.

What have others done about lowering or removing the stay-up radio antenna? Never play audio in a car & the antenna screws up my car cover. I replaced the powered adjustable one in the vette (it stays up a foot or so) w/ a new top part (w/ the ball) that falls into the bottom chrome mount. Thinking of doing the same on the Mustang. If you look at the interior pics, I'm replacing the front  rear lick panels w/ stock ones...those huge black speakers have got to go

3/29/2019 2:20 PM  #10

More Lincoln parts....I scrounged the power antenna from the 89 Abe TC.  It runs all the way down and just leaves a little nub.  Had it mounted in the stock antenna hole on the rt. front fender and moved it to the left rear when we did all the metal/body/paint in '13.  Now it will be easy to repair/replace when it dies, as all power antennae do.

Or...you could put an antenna grommet in you cover.

SIDE NOTE TO STEVE J. (68,69,70 Mustang):  Never did make the custom escutcheon for that, Steve.  Butt (TS&T) if I ever do I'll make one for you also.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (3/29/2019 2:21 PM)

3/29/2019 3:50 PM  #11

Welcome good look'n to the best Mustang forum on the net!
When I had my Mustang painted I COULD NOT being myself to bore-a-hole in my fender!!
I just got one of those rubber ones and laid it on top of the heater box under the dash.....Not that I could hear a radio anyway (long story!) I just play my bluetooth on those long bash road trips.
I installed the Shelby front apron on my 66 and that was the end of the over heating problems. I think that's why "old Shel' designed it...for heating issues.
Not sure how it would work out with an AC condensor in front.
Besides.......I thought(here comes) ALL you Southern Cal fellas were sooooo cool you don't need no stink'in AC!! Besides....it ain't the heat.......its the humidity (which I thought y'all didn't have!!
Ron Howard  and the Fonz and all those SC guyz were plenty cool in the flix soooooo naturally I thought EVERYBODY out there was the same!!!!  J/K
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/29/2019 5:43 PM  #12

Bullet Bob wrote:

.......snip.......  Never did make the custom escutcheon for that, Steve.  Butt (TS&T) if I ever do I'll make one for you also.BB

Ya learn something everyday....had to look up that foreign word.

6sally6 wrote:

Welcome good look'n to the best Mustang forum on the net!
When I had my Mustang painted I COULD NOT being myself to bore-a-hole in my fender!!
I just got one of those rubber ones and laid it on top of the heater box under the dash.....Not that I could hear a radio anyway (long story!) I just play my bluetooth on those long bash road trips...........snip.............I thought(here comes) ALL you Southern Cal fellas were sooooo cool you don't need no stink'in AC!! Besides....it ain't the heat.......its the humidity (which I thought y'all didn't have!!
Ron Howard and the Fonz and all those SC guyz were plenty cool in the flix soooooo naturally I thought EVERYBODY out there was the same!!!! J/K
6sally6

Hear ya on the cutting...gonna feel that way when I open up the hood scope. I feel the same about the audio. The Mustang sounds cool (ha ha...tried to write a word that starts w/ a B, but the auto-censor killed it) all by itself. It's a close second to the vette's side pipes.

You're missing something important on the look'n cool dept......ie....."Never let'em see you sweat"

You southerners can keep your humidity....I will never forget the months spent at Fort Polk, Louisiana..first time I realized glass telephone booths were really Red-Neck saunas.

Last edited by Good Look'n (3/29/2019 5:50 PM)

3/29/2019 6:44 PM  #13

Good Look'n wrote:

Thanks to both of you & the welcome...you bring up good points.

Bullet Bob>
Glad you liked the story. It was a fun trip, even w/ the overheating (I got lucky that it didn't happen in the vast wasteland).

I was going to install the larger rad at first (did read MS's article). Since the Vette's overheating was cured, I decided to do the same things here. If it doesn't, I'll see if anyone wants a very slightly used Dewitt rad!

Read that post...ouch!...I'll try to get a proper steel oem...sure as hell will stay away from Derale.

I'll look into that trip....I don't show my oldies, I drive 'em! Longest trip so far was the coastal route (1k miles) to No.Calif. in the vette...lot's of fun.

TKO>
"my uncle's '67 L88".....OMG....OMG....OMG!!!
If that had stayed in your family, it sure would increase a relative's net worth, eh?

I've read lot's of discussions about the electric vs. mechanical fan debate. There's merit to both sides. For now, I'm going the mechanical route.

If you check out my trip article, I drove through LV w/ the car after buying it. I wouldn't have made it past the town if it was summer.

You're right about the thermostat...lot's of folks think it'll help w/ overheating & it's the first thing they try (to no avail)

Afraid you lost me on your comments about the timing cover. Would it help if you saw my engine setup? If you go to the Bring a trailer link, it points to the auction with professional video & pics the seller made.

Unfortunately the two timing covers look identical from the outside.  You would need to pull the water pump to see the coolant passages. 

The L88 remains the most frightening car I've ever ridden in.  I don't know what the factory rating on them was, but in reality they made about 650HP.  That car had the close ratio M22 and a 4.10 rear gear as well.  Only 2nd and 4th were really used in normal driving.  The right pedal was really a tire spin pedal, not an accelerator.  My cousin once downshifted into 2nd at 40MPH and floored it and the car did a 180 in the middle of the road.  On slicks at the Vette Nationals it ran mid 10s in the 1/4 with the guy my uncle got it from driving.  He was a prominent guy in the Corvette world, and a great guy all round.  Sadly he and the L88 are both long gone, leaving me only fond memories of both. 

The cars were valuable back then, but nothing like today.  My Dad had a '69 SS396 ElCamino, a '69 SS396 Chevelle, and a '72 Vette with a 454 (not at the same time).  My uncle also had a '66 Chevelle SS396 convertible and every option that could be had in '66 except a power driver's seat (PS, PB, PW, PL, PT, AC, Tic-Tock-Tach, etc.).  That car I do know where it is, and the owner knows that when he's ready its already sold all he needs to do is call me and state the price.  I was old enough to drive that one. 

3/29/2019 7:29 PM  #14

Little "off-topic" there RPM butt..........
70 Dodge Challenger....440/6 pack(3.91:1 gear) has to be the most "grusome-thang" I ever drove! (maybe I should say 'grew-some'!!  That puppy was a handful!
6sally6)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/29/2019 8:08 PM  #15

I've gotta agree Mike. I once put a 440/727 into an A body station wagon .... left the slant six rear axle in it.
Tyres were definitely the fuse. First car I ever drove that you couldn't floor it from a light if you expected it to move forward.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

3/29/2019 8:25 PM  #16

Good Look'n wrote:

Alessandro wrote:

Hello Good Lookin ........snip......

Bet you say that to all the guys.......(been waiting for someone to say that).

Ya, definitely have to lick the heat prob before considering A/C. Seems the new rad did the trick for you.

What have others done about lowering or removing the stay-up radio antenna? Never play audio in a car & the antenna screws up my car cover. I replaced the powered adjustable one in the vette (it stays up a foot or so) w/ a new top part (w/ the ball) that falls into the bottom chrome mount. Thinking of doing the same on the Mustang. If you look at the interior pics, I'm replacing the front  rear lick panels w/ stock ones...those huge black speakers have got to go

My fender came with a hole so put this in it, it is sitting right over top of the security system siren.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/29/2019 9:14 PM  #17

Welcome to the site. There is a great group of Folks here. Great story for the drive back, sounds like you could have been cooking in the car!!

With all the body colored paint under the hood, I can understand why you don’t want to cut the hole for a bigger radiator. Hard to touch that up with a rattle can!!

Not all electric fans are created equal. Spal  brand seems to get the higher approval ratings. Opening the scoop should help some. Forced air while moving and a heat escape when you aren't.

Hayden 2710 and 2711 are popular choices for normal rotation fan clutches. The difference is the fan mounting height. There is a thread on this site somewhere that covers them. One has a different bolt spacing for the fan. Derale fans can come with both bolt patterns, but have lost popularity after several have turned into projectiles!!!

I agree that you really need to verify that the parts you have should work together for rotation. Also, how is the timing and carb adjustments? Improper setting can cause over heating issues.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

3/30/2019 8:13 AM  #18

TKOPerformance
Your family had some great wheels. Just reading about all those SS's, 396 & L88s get's me drooling.

I had to wait till later in life to afford bit___'n......I mean....cool rides. The vette's license plate frame says, "40 years of delayed gratification". BTW...it has it's original 427ci/390HP & running gear. Got it as a Trailer Queen w/ 50 miles after a complete nut & bolt rebuild/repaint....fully equipped as it left the factory ...even oem A/C. I spent a long time & $$ turning it into a driver!>@?# Put 6k miles on it so far.

From your username, it sounds like you're in the car biz. Wish you were local....I'm gett'n too lazy to do this work myself.

Rudi
Neat wiring job on the alarm.
That's the way I got the Vette's antenna to look. I unscrewed the Mustang's yesterday, & see that the cable is fused onto the chrome part. I'll try to unhook it from the radio, pull it out & drop a dummy into the fender hole, or just cut the thing & drop it down to the little ball.

Bolted to Floor wrote:

Welcome to the site. There is a great group of Folks here. Great story for the drive back, sounds like you could have been cooking in the car!!

With all the body colored paint under the hood, I can understand why you don’t want to cut the hole for a bigger radiator. Hard to touch that up with a rattle can!!

Not all electric fans are created equal. Spal  brand seems to get the higher approval ratings. Opening the scoop should help some. Forced air while moving and a heat escape when you aren't.

Hayden 2710 and 2711 are popular choices for normal rotation fan clutches. The difference is the fan mounting height. There is a thread on this site somewhere that covers them. One has a different bolt spacing for the fan. Derale fans can come with both bolt patterns, but have lost popularity after several have turned into projectiles!!!

I agree that you really need to verify that the parts you have should work together for rotation. Also, how is the timing and carb adjustments? Improper setting can cause over heating issues.

Thanks, glad you liked my saga. It was an exciting trip. I'll look into those Haydens. Depending on how the hood cutting goes, I thought maybe trimming the edges with some chrome could hide the marks. I'm doing it to let heat escape at idle, so the opening doesn't need to be large. You're right about the timing & carb. I'll address those after the cooling system & return here for everyone's expertise.

4/05/2019 5:58 PM  #19

Finally!...starting the long delayed Cooling The Hot Horse Project. Told each of my GFs (all of whom are above the age of consent to their mid 20s) to keep their hands off me until I'm finished or get frustrated & sub the work out....whichever comes first.

The PP (Poor Pony) has been resting in the garage for almost 2 yrs since purchase. If you look at the sign I made in the below pic, you'll understand me better. BTW...the print above it is by a famous artist, a True Legend in his own mind.

Showing pics via an outside site is a pain...just say'n...

Received the Dewitt rad today....kinda pricey (5 C-notes, on sale). I learned of them when the '66 vette had the same project done. The Corvette Forum folks thought highly of the brand (they design/manufacture these in-house) & my experience with the vette's rad has been excellent. Besides, I consider that I got it free since the seller sent me that amount after reading the article on the drive home from Utah to Calif. See my BaT article for details.  

Question of the hour ...anyone have info on this Adjustable Aluminum Fan Shroud? >>    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-380461-sh 

I prefer not to use a plastic shroud, but I worry this would have a one size fits all look. If anyone has seen it in person, I'd value your opinion. Seems a decent enough price as opposed to having one custom built. 

Question of the 2nd hour.......just noticed that I have no fan clutch...yea... kinda slow. Obviously, the electric fan doesn't need it (full disclosure, this is my 1st experience w/ those electric thingies). I guess this means that I have to trash that nice pulley, eh? Do I even have room for the clutch & new pulley?  

4/06/2019 9:19 AM  #20

No need to pitch the pulley, me thinks.  If you install a clutch it will bolt on to the front of that pulley just like a fan would.  You may need to get some longer bolts.   I'm not a "fan" of electric fans but since that one is all set up why not swap the radiator and see what happens.  You could probably make pieces to "shroud" that electric so it will pull through the entire area of that new radiator without too much trouble.

BB

4/06/2019 9:30 AM  #21

I'm looking at your pix and I believe there is a major problem.  I don't know how anyone could expect to do ANYTHING on a car in a shop that is that clean.  Maybe that works okay on Vetts but, man, you gotta mung it up a bit if you 'spect to work on a Ford.

Like the road-duster pic though...except it's got a Bowtie motor in it.  But then, most of them do.

BB

4/06/2019 10:17 AM  #22

Bullet Bob wrote:

No need to pitch the pulley, me thinks.  If you install a clutch it will bolt on to the front of that pulley just like a fan would.  You may need to get some longer bolts.   I'm not a "fan" of electric fans but since that one is all set up why not swap the radiator and see what happens.  You could probably make pieces to "shroud" that electric so it will pull through the entire area of that new radiator without too much trouble.BB

MOD>
Should I have started a new new thread instead of adding to this one? If ya thinks, please feel free to do so.

BB.....I think my thoughts (via cosmic waves) had drifted to good ol' Montrose. The more I thought bout it, the more I began leaning to sticking w/ that electric thingie. That should please those here who favor those new age thingybobs. As for installing a fan clutch w/ fan....I don't see how it & a mechanical fan would fit..!?@?#

Bullet Bob wrote:

I'm looking at your pix and I believe there is a major problem.  I don't know how anyone could expect to do ANYTHING on a car in a shop that is that clean.  Maybe that works okay on Vetts but, man, you gotta mung it up a bit if you 'spect to work on a Ford.

Like the road-duster pic though...except it's got a Bowtie motor in it.  But then, most of them do.BB

The reason that garage is so clean is cause I'm too lazy to work on my oldies anymore!...more fun & gives instant gratification to see how sharp it all looks!

You by chance weren't a English teacher, were ya?.....here's the 2nd word you've made me lookup...road duster?? Is that third world slang?...I think I've heard that before but me mind isn't what it used to be, so ain't sure....glad u like the pic however...btw...that "engine" is a sum total of several I used as models so I don't kn ow how it came out as a GM...plus..it started out as a V8, but after screwing up the headers, it morphed into a V6.

4/06/2019 12:45 PM  #23

Welcme to the forum. I believe old cars that came with mechanical fans should HAVE mechanical fans.  Just because I like them that way.  They can certainly do the job without adding a bunch of wires and sensors.  If one wants electric, so be it, but a mechanical fan can certainly do the job. And Ford made some great fan shrouds for 67-73 Mustangs. The 65-66 fan shrouds are pretty worthless.  You can bolt in a 1967 20” radiator with no cuttng, and the factory 20” shrouds work great. My 427 stroker uses a 17” six blade flex fan.  Never any heating issues.

In my experience from running this forum since 2000, most overheating issues are related to water flow, whether in a fifty year old block that is rusted internally or a plugged up radiator, or thermostat. And nobody ever talks about their timing or the performance of a vacuum advance on their distributor. An improperly functioning advance can cause low speed overheating.  I have also seen cars where the temperature sending units were installed where they did not reach the fluid level in the manifold. Installing them properly made the “ overheating” problem immediately go away.  A radiator that has been overfilled andcthen pukes water on the grround is also NOT indicative of an overheating problem.  It is a sign of an overfilled radiator. I do not run an overflow bottle and my car does not puke water. The fill line is 1” below the filler neck of the radiator. Any extra fill and WILL puke until it reaches the correct level.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/06/2019 1:15 PM  #24

MS...I sure agree w/ ya on all of your points. Plus, being the Art Visionary Legend that I am, it doesn't gel w/ the rest of my engine compartment...not mentioning that this is the first electric fan I've ever had or worked on.

However...I'm not seeing how a HD fan clutch & fan is going to fit there.

The timing & vacumn advance will be looked into after I get this figured out....stop rushing me....geezz, you're like one of my ex-wives...forget which one.

4/06/2019 2:15 PM  #25

Good Look'n wrote:

MS...stop rushing me....geezz, you're like one of my ex-wives...forget which one.

That's hilarious!

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.