FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/01/2019 5:55 PM  #1

289 2b, auto, Cooling with AC

Little help please, 289, auto, new stock rad, and live in Ore but that wont mater caus I want to drive cross USA in summer
OK can any of you shead light on what electric fan/shroud set up to use. I have a stock 289 with auto trans and aftermarket air.. I have been looking at the flex-a-lite 160 but the thermostat is in the way of the top tank it seems

Last edited by Cab4word67 (5/01/2019 6:24 PM)

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

5/01/2019 6:31 PM  #2

Re: 289 2b, auto, Cooling with AC

What fan set up are you running now?

5/01/2019 8:09 PM  #3

sorry it has a full stock steel blade with no shroud. But Vintage Air said I need to go to a full electric puller fan

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

5/01/2019 8:28 PM  #4

Find a stock five or six blade CW steel fan from...say a 89 or 90 Crown Vic, etc., add a thermal fan clutch if you don't have one, build or buy (if possible) a proper shroud, put a spring in the lower hose, and see what happens.  That's the way mine is set up except I have a 20" Aluminum rad.  You may not need the rad upgrade so just set it up solid with the stock rad and see how it works.  I'll bet you are surprised.  Also, I'm running a Vintage Air Gen 4 HVAC and also set one up the same way in a 64 Falcon with zero issues...except for the fan that went through the Falcon hood but that was a different story.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/01/2019 8:53 PM  #5

I just addressed that w/ my 289 strocker...could show ya, but trying to post pics here is damn near impossible & very frustrating.
Check out my "Truth in advertising" thread...so all the usual helpful suspects won't have to repeat themselves.

Last edited by Good Look'n (5/01/2019 8:53 PM)

5/02/2019 6:34 AM  #6

Spal 30102082 would be my choice for electric.  You'll need to build a shroud to mount it.  I built my own fan controller for about $30 worth of parts.  I can send you a schematic if you're handy wiring wise.  Not actually that tough if you aren't, and a good learning project if you want to improve that area of your skill set. 

5/02/2019 9:58 AM  #7

Got the pics up on my new setup. Take a look at my "cooling done thread.." No A/C yet, but hope to add vintage air this year.

TKO...my fan is a SPAL ...does seem to be high quality & it's doing a good job.

5/02/2019 10:30 AM  #8

I've now logged two round trips of 60-100 miles each way, mostly highway driving at 75-80 with no issues, plus about 1,500 miles of mostly suburbs/city driving (lots of lights, stop and go, etc) and zero problems.  I drove the car once when it was in the upper 90s with a heat index well past 100 just to see if it got hot.  It ran 205 at its hottest, and given system pressure and my coolant mix boil over would be in the 250 range.  That's with a three row copper/brass radiator, a parts store iron water pump, and a 180 degree t-stat.

5/02/2019 10:43 AM  #9

I am selling a fan that will fit right on to your stock radiator , no shroud needed. I ran that setup with my stock radiator, but going with a thicker radiator ended up having to go with a thinner fan

even if you dont buy mine, I recommend only SPAL for fans .. and using their mounting hardware to mount to the stock 65 shroud mounting hardware so you arent hanging a fan off the radiator fins.

I couldnt be happier with my stock rad plus SPAL fan setup.. it was amazing! I am going with a hotter running trans so had to upgrade to a different rad.

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

5/03/2019 8:44 AM  #10

TKOPerformance wrote:

I've now logged two round trips of 60-100 miles each way, mostly highway driving at 75-80 with no issues, plus about 1,500 miles of mostly suburbs/city driving (lots of lights, stop and go, etc) and zero problems.  I drove the car once when it was in the upper 90s with a heat index well past 100 just to see if it got hot.  It ran 205 at its hottest, and given system pressure and my coolant mix boil over would be in the 250 range.  That's with a three row copper/brass radiator, a parts store iron water pump, and a 180 degree t-stat.

As u know, I initially was going to go the mechanical fan/clutch route, since that's what worked to cool the vette. After seeing how much work that would entail, I stayed w/ the electric fan setup. Had to hunt for the proper shroud & fan that would be the best solution, but all is righteous now.

6/01/2019 8:53 AM  #11

OK everyone I have the AC completed and its cold. Went with the Flex-A-Lite 160 w/built in shroud. It moves 3000 cfms. Fits the radiator perficliy. No more steel fan. Mounting was straight forward and simple. Works very well with 80 deg temps and AC on, temp has not gone up. Im sure it will some when the temps get into the 90s but thats expected. 

6/01/2019 8:33 PM  #12

You mean Ore. actually gets to 80 degrees?!!!!   WOW!
J/K
Welcome to the forum
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.