FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/02/2019 7:21 PM  #1

Mustangs taking a cue from the Vette Mafia?

Those of u that have/had owned vettes, MS, TKO, etc, know that there's a tradition (going back to the 1950s I think) to wave at other vettes. When I'm driving one of my oldies, I wave at all other classic cars. The only modern car that I wave at (first) is another vette, when I'm driving my 1966.

When I took the Mustang's cooling test run the other day, a modern convertible Mustang who was heading towards me in the opposing lane, gave a big wave my way. I had enough time to give a wave in appreciation.

I live in a rural out-of-the-way location (there's no just passing through traffic), so I tend to think it was a neighborly gesture as well an acknowledgment of similar cars kind of thing....or am I missing a horsey tradition ? I kind of hope not...as there's too many of the newer Mustangs to start waving to all of 'em.

Last edited by Good Look'n (5/02/2019 7:22 PM)

5/02/2019 9:16 PM  #2

Re: Mustangs taking a cue from the Vette Mafia?

In these parts, pretty much anyone driving a classic vehicle waves to other classic vehicles.  I went to a car show and happened to be riding with a friend in his 2016 vette convertible and other corvette owners waved at him,and he waved back.  I don't think it is just a corvette thing.

99% of newer type Mustangs are just cars to most of the people driving them, but I have had lots of them wave at me in my 66 fastback.

Note for reference:  NO ONE has ever waved at me in my BMW. 

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/02/2019 10:02 PM  #3

I’ve had folks in newer cars of all sorts wave at us in the Mustang and other folks in all kinds of classics. There’s been a fair share of the guys in new Mustangs do a wave or thumbs up too. I will wave back....not used to the attention though. 

Sheryl will wave to folks in BMW convertibles when we are out with the top down. Some wave back, but not all. I guess BMWer’s can be kinda snooty!!

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

5/03/2019 5:41 AM  #4

I will give a wave or thumbs up to anyone driving any nice classic.  Typically its reciprocated if I'm driving my Mustang.  What drives me nuts are the guys who blow their horn.  Seriously, that's got to stop.  I appreciate your appreciation, but neither I nor other drivers are expecting that and often no one has any idea what its for.

I will also say that about 75% of WRX drivers wave at other WRXs.  That's been a thing since the beginning of US importation. 

5/03/2019 8:36 AM  #5

MS wrote:

..........snip......NO ONE has ever waved at me in my BMW. 

Bolted to Floor wrote:

.............snip......I guess BMWer’s can be kinda snooty!!

I detect a pattern

TKOPerformance wrote:

.......snip........I will also say that about 75% of WRX drivers wave at other WRXs.  That's been a thing since the beginning of US importation. 

Had to look up WTH is a WRX.

5/03/2019 9:11 AM  #6

MS wrote:

Guess you're driving the wrong year BMW in the wrong city.

At least once a week I get someone to nod, give a thumbs up, or start a conversation on my 1993. I find it promising that so many teenagers at the high school where I sub, are quite knowledgeable about both my 69 mach and 93 bmw.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

5/03/2019 9:56 AM  #7

rpm wrote:

MS wrote:

Guess you're driving the wrong year BMW in the wrong city............snip.......At least once a week I get someone to nod, give a thumbs up, or start a conversation on my 1993. I find it promising that so many teenagers at the high school where I sub, are quite knowledgeable about both my 69 mach and 93 bmw.

3 things......

1. Not a fan of newer BMWs (I'm stuck in my teenage years), but have to say that yours is a pretty one....b___'n color. It falls in the middle of the age when designers could still produce some good looking cars to now when cars are safer, faster, more efficient but have no SOUL.

2. Still disappointed that u own a BMW though...sigh...

3. When looking to buy my 4th & final oldie, I seriously looked into these Beemers, but the Mustang won out.

(Generic pics)

5/03/2019 10:05 AM  #8

If my memory serves me...In the late '40's-early '50's new sports cars began showing up on the roads.  Particularly the MG's (TC,TD, &TF).  Because they were so rare, their drivers began waving at each other as a show of comradeship.  That has now morphed into waving at any sporty car or one that catches your fancy.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

5/03/2019 10:23 AM  #9

lowercasesteve wrote:

..........snip... waving at any sporty car or one that catches your fancy.

Until recently, I used to wave at any pretty youngish gal in what ever car she was driving.

After I noticed them grabbing their phones, then putting up the Fuzz pulling me over & listening to their comments about "Disgusting old pervert", I stopped.

...it's a Cold Cruel World...

5/03/2019 4:00 PM  #10

Roadrunner drivers always honk at each other. People wave at me whenever I am driving my Mustang no mater what kind of car they are driving. A guy and gal in their Buick GNX the other day also. No body waves at me when I driving my F150???

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

5/04/2019 4:56 AM  #11

Plenty of BMWs worth owning.  The 2002s particularly the tii variants or turbo (though rare and quite expensive).  The E30 M3 cars are awesome.  The 3.0 csl and csi also awesome.  The original M5, M6, or 635 csi are excellent performance sedans.  The 840 and 850 have great styling, but a plethora of mechanical gremlins; still props to anyone who manages to keep one on the road.  I can't even get into cars like the 507 or 328, because they are so rare in the states. 

Like I've said before, every manufacturer made at least one model worth owning, most made several.  Let's be honest, every Ford wasn't a gem.  To me great cars are great cars irrespective of the hood ornament. 

5/04/2019 5:03 AM  #12

lowercasesteve wrote:

If my memory serves me...In the late '40's-early '50's new sports cars began showing up on the roads.  Particularly the MG's (TC,TD, &TF).  Because they were so rare, their drivers began waving at each other as a show of comradeship.  That has now morphed into waving at any sporty car or one that catches your fancy.

I have great childhood memories of my best friend's grandfather's '52 MG TD.  He bought it new and it was his daily driver.  He replaced the original MG engine with one from a Volvo because it made like twice the HP.  There were so many things he did to that car, built a heater, build a new top frame, built new pedals, etc. all from scratch and all using nothing but his own ingenuity.  He was a really, really cool guy.  A farm boy from VA who hit the beach on D-Day and then with no real formal training worked for DuPont at their experimental station for four decades.  Growing up I knew three great guys named George, and that's my second son's middle name.  He was one of them. 

5/04/2019 7:11 AM  #13

Good Look'n wrote:

rpm wrote:

MS wrote:

Guess you're driving the wrong year BMW in the wrong city............snip.......At least once a week I get someone to nod, give a thumbs up, or start a conversation on my 1993. I find it promising that so many teenagers at the high school where I sub, are quite knowledgeable about both my 69 mach and 93 bmw.

3 things......

1. Not a fan of newer BMWs (I'm stuck in my teenage years), but have to say that yours is a pretty one....b___'n color. It falls in the middle of the age when designers could still produce some good looking cars to now when cars are safer, faster, more efficient but have no SOUL.

2. Still disappointed that u own a BMW though...sigh...

3. When looking to buy my 4th & final oldie, I seriously looked into these Beemers, but the Mustang won out.

(Generic pics)

OK, Too Cool, I like the blue car more than the pistachio colored one. Its small, it could still fit in your garage!!

My first introduction to a WRX was a Hot Rod article in 2004 in a head to head shootout with a Mustang Cobra.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-0401-mustang-cobra-subaru-wrx-sti/

I was impressed.

Bob, didn't realize you had BMW. I like the way the front end of those car look.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

5/04/2019 7:31 AM  #14

Bolted to Floor wrote:

Bob, didn't realize you had BMW. I like the way the front end of those car look. 

John, it's like being a retired copper, you can't tell just anyone about it.

It's a 1993 525i with  224k miles. Runs like a champ.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

5/04/2019 11:05 AM  #15

Bolted to Floor wrote:

........snip.....OK, Too Cool, I like the blue car more than the pistachio colored one. Its small, it could still fit in your garage!!........snip.........

My Dad drove me & him around West Germany in an Isetta during the early 1960s...what a blast sitting in that seat w/ nothing in front of it....& yes, fitting it in any small place is a plus. However, u do have to accept the fact that if someone front ends u in the parking lot, u will be a fatality.

Those large BMWs r BEAUTIFUL (excepting that color of course). BMW lost their shirt on their bet that they would be popular against the large MBs which were becoming the cars of choice for the West German upper classes after the war. Although the initial price was doable for me, I gave up the idea of importing one when I realized the parts & repair costs would bankrupt me.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.