FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/07/2019 4:36 PM  #1

Burned out taillight

I need to vent some.

My '15 GT burned out one of the 3 taillights on the left side.  No problem.  Go to the local Ford dealer and get a new one.  Did that $5.  Went to change it out and could not find a way to get to the bulbs  without destroying something back there.  So I went to the Ford dealer to have them do it.  0.6 hours work at $156/hr!!!!  Then when I returned the car was out in front rather than back in the shop - warning lights flashed in my pea brain.  It seems that rear taillights only come in whole assemblies.  You can't change the bulbs at all.  Guess what?  A new assembly is $501!!!  For one taillight!!!   Forget it.  I still have 2 of the 3 lights working, 

The service manager was also shocked and did not charge me anything.  However, with no sales slip for the light, no $5 back either.

words cannot express what is going thru my mind, but I bet you all can some up with some good ones

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

5/07/2019 4:58 PM  #2

Re: Burned out taillight

Well LCS, are you a hot rodder or a spec-tater with an unlimited budget?  I'll bet there are any number of folks here...you included...that could spend a couple of hours and solve that problem by figuring how to install replacement LED bulbs in that "sealed" tail light unit.

I know I would try before I laid down $500+ for one stinking tail light bulb.  I mean, what have you got to loose.  Worst case, you ruin one tail light assembly and have to spend $500 to replace it.

And if it works you can sell the instructions for $20 a hit and pay for a new pistol...oh sorry, I forgot you live in NorCal...no pistols allowed...but you could buy something you don't need.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (5/07/2019 5:01 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/07/2019 5:42 PM  #3

I’ll bet $500 would buy a pistol in NorCal allowed or not.🤪

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

5/16/2019 5:23 PM  #4

So, there actually is a replacement bulb?  They sold you one?  Let me at that sucker... sounds like a new MustangSteve product coming up.
Instead of a design for parts to install newer parts on older cars, maybe they need PARTS THAT WORK on the newer cars.
I bet the aftermarket light manufacturers are already onto this...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/16/2019 9:42 PM  #5

MS wrote:

So, there actually is a replacement bulb? They sold you one? Let me at that sucker... sounds like a new MustangSteve product coming up.
Instead of a design for parts to install newer parts on older cars, maybe they need PARTS THAT WORK on the newer cars.
I bet the aftermarket light manufacturers are already onto this...

Wrong!  They sold me one but did not know themselves until they actually tried to install it.  No dice.  Then they found the factory manual says the whole assembly must be replaced. 
Then, after chiding from BB I did some research on the web.  Lots of articles about that exact problem.  All of them came down to the same thing.  All you can do is replace the whole assembly.  There are a lot of ads out there, too, offering used units for sale. ($200-$400)  But I'm afraid to take a chance with that cost.  And I figure if no one has been able to rectify the problem in the last 5 years, I have no hope of doing it myself.  I'm going to just live with it.  I still have the other two lights that work.

So, MS, if you want to try it out on yours, have at it.  I will be first in line for a fix.

5/19/2019 5:17 PM  #6

I guess those fancy LED lenses are the culprit. I bet in the future you will see alot of them with 1157 type bulb socket worked into there somehow.

If you want to send me your old one to look at, I would be happy to try and figure some “cowboy fix” to make it usable. There are lots of new lighting materials available now...

5/19/2019 5:32 PM  #7

From what I read, Guys, the real issue isn't the LED lamps.  It's the fact to Ford now has a "Body System Controller"....'nuther computer...that has to be happy with the current draw of each light.  If'n it ain't, it just won't send pwr to it.  At least that what it sounds like. 
An anti-bootleg, guarantee that the fools buy our over priced replacement parts, make the dealers happy, computer system.  But, just hang on...some whiz will figure out how to hack it.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/19/2019 6:01 PM  #8

Bullet Bob wrote:

From what I read, Guys, the real issue isn't the LED lamps.  It's the fact to Ford now has a "Body System Controller"....'nuther computer...that has to be happy with the current draw of each light.  If'n it ain't, it just won't send pwr to it.  At least that what it sounds like. 
An anti-bootleg, guarantee that the fools buy our over priced replacement parts, make the dealers happy, computer system.  But, just hang on...some whiz will figure out how to hack it.

BB

That's my experience.  The bad light was intermittent for a number of weeks.  Now I'm getting a similar intermittent in one of the right tail lights.  One thread said to disconnect the battery so that the processor resets itself.  That is supposed to fix things.  Tomorrow's job.

5/22/2019 11:08 AM  #9

Stop 🛑 lol I own  one of these I will use the brakes and blinkers less. How many miles did it take to go out

5/22/2019 11:38 AM  #10

Coupedaddy wrote:

Stop 🛑 lol I own one of these I will use the brakes and blinkers less. How many miles did it take to go out

50,000 miles

5/22/2019 8:21 PM  #11

Upon some more research I found that the problem is commonplace with 2015 and early 2016 Mustangs.  It is a firmware problem with the BCMB (and, no, I do not know what that acronym stands for) controller not any problem with the LED lights themselves.  There is an upgrade available, and it might be covered under warrantee.

For those of you who fall in that category the SSM is 47429.  I can't get the wording copied, so you must look it up yourself.

As a sidelight, there are some who are selling replacement lights for over $1,000 each!  Ford wants only $500.  Go figure.

5/22/2019 10:47 PM  #12

And just when "I was think'in bout" buying a new(er) FoMoCo product!!!!  grrrrrrrr

Love a Nissan product....they just don't tear-up!

Sorry fellas.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/22/2019 10:56 PM  #13

6sally6 wrote:

And just when "I was think'in bout" buying a new(er) FoMoCo product!!!! grrrrrrrr

Love a Nissan product....they just don't tear-up!

Sorry fellas.
6sally6

Just to show that the Japanese are not above things...About 10 years ago I owned a Honda S2000 2-seater.  It had a headlight gradually begin dimming.  It as still there, but at about half brightness.  It, too, had the light in an assembly.  One piece.  To replace it the fender had to come off.  Over $250 for the part.  The car was under the added warrantee, So I did not have to pay.  But I bet labor would have been a lot.

5/22/2019 11:25 PM  #14

It seems to me..........
On the Fords I hear about the nightmare of changing the rear spark plugs.....now the nightmare of tailight BULB (not!) replacement!!!
Its obvious why manufactures do this.($$$$$) it just seems FoMoCo is so blatent with it.
I mean..... give-a-guy a break here!!  New cars/truck cost a small fortune to begin with and THEN........500 dollar tailights!
Another reason I keep my old 91 S-10...when I would like to have a new Ford truck.   At least I can still "work-on-it" and parts are available.

Whats the old say'in?......'better to know the devil you have.......' sump'in like that.
Don't get me started about taxes on a new vehicle compared to an old one.
OK....I'm done!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/28/2019 10:49 AM  #15

What is the world coming to?   Why do we possibly need this stuff, other than to ensure faster obsolescence?  Get the 10 year old cars off the road so you have to buy a new one?

5/29/2019 1:31 PM  #16

MS wrote:

What is the world coming to?   Why do we possibly need this stuff, other than to ensure faster obsolescence?  Get the 10 year old cars off the road so you have to buy a new one?

That is exactly why. Ford makes no money off the hobby cars like ours and little off servicing cars. They want us to buy a new vehicle from them every two or three years.

Remember a few years ago when Ford’s lawyers sent cease-and-desist letters to all the car magazines and parts suppliers that used “Mustang” in their name, informing them they could not use the Mustang name without a license from Ford? The rumor on the street at the time was that Ford was trying to find a way to stop people from extending the life of their products. Kill the old car magazines and run the specialty parts sellers out of business? They want their products to go to the scrapper as soon as possible. There are even some folks that claim to have evidence that Ford has been quietly lobbying governmental agencies to outlaw aftermarket parts, require smog tests and require scrapping a vehicle that won’t pass a smog test. Part of the reasoning for putting all the complex systems on new cars is to make them very expensive to repair. How many times recently have you seen a fender bender accent on a late model vehicle and the insurance company totals it because of the sky high repair costs? Gotta go and build another tinfoil hat. Those gubmint mind control transmitters wear the foil out quickly.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.