FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2019 6:45 PM  #51

Re: More T-5 questions

HudginJ3 wrote:

Well what are ya supposed to do when you can't remember where you placed 1st gear? It's been missing for 4 days now.

I'm glad I'm not the only member of that club.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/29/2019 8:19 PM  #52

I guess I need to fess up.  I've been using the T5 overhaul manual exploded view as an impromptu guide to put the thing back together. The view is a "pencil drawing" and not very clear. And the main shaft has a lot of extra unused splines on it. So I sat down with YouTube and found out I had already installed it. Just glad I finally found it.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

4/30/2019 3:16 PM  #53

Three gears on the mainshaft inside the case, then the input shaft is 4th.  5th is on the outside of the case in the tailshaft housing.  Largest mainshaft gear is always first; smallest is 5th.  Its odd because 5th is rearmost, then 1st-4th. 

5/15/2019 7:27 PM  #54

I got the transmission together enough to run it through the gears. In neutral it turn freely. Shift it into first it sounds like something is dragging against the case and feels like the shaft might be bent. Just feels that way, it's not. It turns easy then hard then easy then hard. 2nd, 3rd, & 4th run real smooth but 5th and reverse lock it up. With my other things going on I need to put it away and probably won't be able to get back to it till after the bash.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

5/16/2019 3:11 PM  #55

I'm betting the 5/R shift fork wasn't in the right spot when the top cover went on.  5th involves the use of 1st gear, which is why you are also having an issue with it.  I would pull the tailshaft and top cover and check the alignment of the 5/R fork.  The slot needs to interface with the shift mechanism in the top cover.  You'll see.  Make sure all sliders are in neutral BEFORE putting the top cover on, and engage the 1/2 and 3/4 fork installing the cover from the right of the trans (right if it were in the vehicle).  The forks engage the sliders and the cover just slides over flattly atop the case.  Its common to have an issue like this, and why I always advise doing a bench test. 

5/16/2019 4:40 PM  #56

I got back a little earlier than I expected so I had a chance to open it up and take a look at it. The input shaft was stuck to the main shaft. I pulled out the input shaft and re installed the spacer at the needle bearings. The noises went away but a new problem popped up as I ran it through the gears before putting the cover back on. The inserts that go into the 1-2 synchronizer are jamming the main shaft to the input shaft. They are slipping out of position and popping out too far and not going back into position when trying to move the slider into second. These inserts don't have the little lips on them or the provision in the hub to prevent them from doing that. Makes me think that I left out some parts or used the wrong blocking ring or synchronizer hub or have the slider facing the wrong way. (Champher to the front)

5/17/2019 1:33 AM  #57

I noticed that you said that you were referring to an exploded view of the transmission to reassemble it. If you haven't already, I would really recommend checking out some Youtube videos on T5 assembly. Gear Box has some good ones that detail the assembly process real well. I ran through the videos a couple of times and reassembled my case with the cleaned used parts to practice assembly and fit.

One thing the videos do have wrong is that you can easily remove the countershaft from the case by grinding off a bit off of the outer lip on the rear bearing (after cutting the cage off), allowing it to slip right out. I then cut and cracked the inner races off the ends of the shaft and can use one of them to press the new bearings on.

I won't be assembling my case until late this summer as I want it empty so I can easily lift it under the car to get everything else fitted in to place and I won't be able to start on it until then. Afterward I'll pull it out, powder coat it Ford Blue, stuff it full of gears and put it back.

Good luck getting your T5 straight!

5/17/2019 4:05 PM  #58

I've watched those videos several times and again last night. I was particularly interested in the inserts installation and he skipped right on past it. LOL  I got to thinking about all this and I have not yet installed the gear shift lever assembly. I put the offset lever on the shift rod holding it place with a loose screw and went about shifting it by hand when it jammed. I think I pushed it too far and that is what happens if you  push it to far and what will happen if you 11don't get the Pro 5.0 that TKO is talking about. The inserts are not the fault of it jamming.

5/24/2019 6:37 PM  #59

Well I thought I was finished with the tranny. I was torquing the all the bolts and the got to bearing retainer and the first bolt hole stripped. I'll need to get a helicoil and fix it. It seemed awful soft when it let go. The book says 20 foot lbs.

5/25/2019 6:03 AM  #60

The keys or "dogs" (three on each slider) for the 1/2 slider do not have lips on them; only the 3/4 keys have those.  When properly assembled the keys cannot move because there are three recesses in the synchro (blocker) rings into which the ends of the keys fit that keep them from being able to move fore and after.  The synchro rings are them held in position by the 1st and 2nd speed gears.  The keys are held outward by spring pressure from the round flat wire springs that go inside the synchro hub.  Those springs have a tang that goes into the back of one of the keys.  I make sure its a different key on the top vs. the bottom so all the pressure isn't on one key. 

The major benefit of the Pro 5.0 shifter is that it has positive stops.  Without those you risk moving the sliders too far and jamming them into the face of the speed gears.  This isn't going to hurt the slider, but the pressure you end up putting on the aluminum forks can cause them to bend, and then when you shift back the other way the fork will be bent back and fail.

This fork damage is only going to occur on a really fast, hard shift.  The OEM shifter has no stops, and yet fork breakage in a T5 is relatively rare, except those that are run hard.

The other benefit of the Pro 5.0 is that it removes all the rubber designed to reduce NVH (Noise/Vibration/Harshness) in a vehicle that had to meet Ford's acceptable levels of those.  That rubber creates a generally sloppy feeling in the shifter, making gear selection less precise.  In the end, there might be  a minor amount of additional noise transmitted through the shifter, but in a car that has a performance exhaust you aren't going to notice it, let alone a classic that makes considerably more noise than even a car from the '80s did. 

20 lbs/ft. is the correct torque, but those bolts need a sealer, and had threadlocker on them from the factory.  Over time, the bond that creates can actually pull the threads out of the case on disassembly.  This is why I just use a little silicone on those bolts instead of a locking compound. 

5/25/2019 8:42 PM  #61

I had a pro 5.0 shifter. Yes, very precise and no isolation. If most of your driving is cruising down the road, not road racng, a little isolation to decrease NVH is a good thing. On my tko600, I am using the shifter that came with it and a Hurst lever and am very happy with it.

I am not in agreement with using all hard bushings on street driven cars if you want the car to be comfortable.   It goes back to the question:  what is the intended purpose of the car?  Race car or street driver. You cannot have both and be the best at either.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/27/2019 5:41 PM  #62

So am I correct to assume that you are using the Hurst shifter along with the Hurst lever? I would prefer  positive shifts and stops but the car is noisey enough already. Is Hurst the compromise?

5/28/2019 7:42 AM  #63

I've never traced any noise to a Pro 5.0 shifter.  I certainly can't hear any in my '67.  Remember that all Ford's work was done on a car that was 100% stock.  The minute you add a performance exhaust 1/3 of their results become meaningless.  The minute you change the tires from OE another 1/3 is meaningless.  The minute you change shocks and spring rates the last 1/3 is meaningless.  So the real question is, how stock is your car? 

5/28/2019 1:09 PM  #64

TKOPerformance wrote:

I've never traced any noise to a Pro 5.0 shifter.  I certainly can't hear any in my '67.  Remember that all Ford's work was done on a car that was 100% stock.  The minute you add a performance exhaust 1/3 of their results become meaningless.  The minute you change the tires from OE another 1/3 is meaningless.  The minute you change shocks and spring rates the last 1/3 is meaningless.  So the real question is, how stock is your car? 

Sooooooooooo....that means most of US are in the negative column of "results"!?   Me...I'm like  -5 on the Ford "results" scale.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/28/2019 7:54 PM  #65

LOL!!!     The last time my car was stock was the day before I removed the clapped out 250 cu in 6 cylinder in 1979 and put in a 302 out a 1970 Galaxy. That was the very first problem because I had to change out the whole front of the engine so the water pump would fit up to the brand new 428 CJ Ford radiator I bought. The idea was to keep it all stock Ford so know body would know it was modified. Over the years I added headers and dual exhaust, changed the steering to quick ratio steering, but then I had to add power steering. Then came power and front disc brakes. I changed the 302 for a 351W bored and stroked to 416 with a 750 eddy and changed the 3 speed for a C4. When the 8 in rear wore out I changed it to a 9 in traction lock, did the Arning drop and Magnum 500 wheels. It's all 70 period stuff that could of been ordered that way mostly.  My car ain't modified. Now I want to put a T5 in it. I've had a blast building it and I appreciate all the suggestions, opinions and help. Just so you know I have no intention installing it before the bash.

6/06/2019 1:35 PM  #66

I finished getting it together. I'll install it sometime after the Bash, first some observations and more questions.
  When turning it by hand I can not get into reverse. I know the clutch should be engaged and it shouldn't be turning but I think that as fast as Iam able to turn it it should go into gear. When it is stopped it is still hard to do unless I put it into another gear first but I expected that. It is supposed to have a reverse gear synchro. Am I expecting to much?
  I have a 1970, 302 flywheel, will it work on the 351W? I know the starter is compatable so I'm not worried about that, but I will have to get it balanced to match my crank and the flex plate it will replace. What about the clutch system? What size should I be using and how many throw out fingers? Why?
  I am planning on using the Z bar set up. Do I need one especially for the 351W or will the 302 Z bar fit? I have converted to Borgeson power steering, JBA shorty headers, and power brakes with a flatter bigger diameter type brake booster. Will the clutch push rod clear it or will I have to go back to the original booster?

6/06/2019 2:09 PM  #67

NEVER shift a T5 directly into reverse from neutral.  All that does is chew up the reverse idler gear and the 1/2 slider.  Reverse is not synchronized, so you need to put the trans in 2nd gear, then shift it into reverse, with your foot on the clutch the whole time.  If you do that on the bench and it works and you get reverse its fine.

The flywheel should work just fine.  Early 302 and all 351W were 28 oz. imbalance.  It was the 5.0 that switched over to a 50 oz. imbalance. 

Diaphragm clutch only.  The old three finger clutches were only good for lopsided calf development.

6/07/2019 10:58 AM  #68

I do not know for sure on your 70, but the Borgeson is usually a deal killer for a z-bar clutch linkage,  They cannot exist together on early cars.

The early 302 flywheel may need a starter from a manual transmission early 302.

Last edited by MS (6/07/2019 10:59 AM)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/07/2019 11:18 AM  #69

Opentracker offers a modified Z-bar setup with roller clutch linkage that is designed to be compatible with the Borgeson Swap. They offer one for a 289/302 and one for a 351W.

https://opentrackerracing.com/product/borgeson-swap-roller-z-bar-clutch-rods-351w-v8-1967-1970-mustang-cougar/

1966 Coupe, 1965 Fastback, 1968 Cougar

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.