FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/21/2013 7:43 AM  #1

Brake Issues

I'm trying to fix the brakes on my dad's 66 coupe and having issues. The car has factory disc brakes with new caliper, rotors and pads, MustangSteve power brake set up, 67 power dics master, new shoes, drums and hardwear.  The brake pedal has been very soft.  What should I look at to try to fix this issue?  Though about pulling the master and trying to rebleed it?  Would the orignal proportioning valve cause a soft pedal?

8/21/2013 7:54 AM  #2

Re: Brake Issues

Couple of thoughts. If you can pump up your brake pedal and get a better solid pedal then air may be issue, if you turned rear drums and shoes are arched to fit origional sized drums, that can cause soft pedal.
Howard

8/21/2013 9:37 AM  #3

Did you adjust the rear brakes so they are right at the drum?  My method is to tighten the adjuster until the drum won't rotate by hand, then back off 10 clicks.

Your system should be able to develop a rock hard pedal with minimal stroke.  You have exactly what I put on Cara's 65 coupe.

Bleed in order... BENCH BLEED master cylinder.  This can be done in the car.
Right Rear
Left Rear
Right Front
Left Front.

If you have done all of the bleeding of the brakes, 9 times out of ten it is the rear brakes not being adjusted that will give you a soft pedal.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/21/2013 4:54 PM  #4

I adjusted the rear brakes again lilike MS said bench bleed the master again and I still have very little brakes. The pedal gos 3/4 of the way down before it begins to stop. On the rears the drums do seame to get tight and loose as you rotate the drums but if I remember correctly the was the case when I bought them new a few hundred miles ago. The brakes will not pump up.  I get the same amount of brake no matter how much I pump it.  Any other ideas?

8/21/2013 6:16 PM  #5

kw120 wrote:

I adjusted the rear brakes again lilike MS said bench bleed the master again and I still have very little brakes. The pedal gos 3/4 of the way down before it begins to stop. On the rears the drums do seame to get tight and loose as you rotate the drums but if I remember correctly the was the case when I bought them new a few hundred miles ago. The brakes will not pump up.  I get the same amount of brake no matter how much I pump it.  Any other ideas?

you mentioned "original prop valve".  66 mustang had a brass distribution block, is that what you are referring to?  factory disc brakes for a 66? , do you have a the additional kelsey hayes block too that was for a single bowl mc? 

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

8/21/2013 6:45 PM  #6

Did you get the booster from me, or just buy my install kit and got the booster elsewhere? 

If you got it from me, this will not apply, as I adjust every booster before shipping them.  However, if you bought a booster and it has an adjustable output shaft, it most likely came adjusted too short.  This is one thing that can cause a low pedal.  A rod that is too short can easily use up 1" of your pedal travel before it does anything.  Just thinking about possible causes...

8/21/2013 6:49 PM  #7

I have a line from the rear reservoir to a T block ten lines to the front brakes. The I fave a line to the original Kelsey Hays block the a line out of it to the rear brakes. 

8/21/2013 6:51 PM  #8

I just bought the install kit then bought a fix booster from the parts store. Is there's way to adjust the fox booster?  

8/21/2013 7:24 PM  #9

There were three different Fox boosters. Two adjustable and one not.  I have seen the non-adjustable versions that have a end piece on the output shaft and the end piece can be missing.  Post a picture of the booster you have and I can tell if it is the adjustable one or not.  Two are sold with the same part number, but totally different boosters that happen to bolt up the same.  One adjusts and the other does not.

The booster output shaft needs to protrude exactly 1.0" from the master cylinder mounting surface.  Any shorter and you will get alot of extra travel in the pedal before anything happens.

8/21/2013 7:47 PM  #10

kw120 wrote:

I have a line from the rear reservoir to a T block ten lines to the front brakes. The I fave a line to the original Kelsey Hays block the a line out of it to the rear brakes. 

I thought that kelsey hayes block was used with manual front disc brake 66 setups, but not with power disc brakes?  and it was used with a larger single bowl mc than the smaller single bowl for dual drums,  and not a dual bowl.  The other block is the brass distribution block that had four connections? ( one from mc, two to the front brakes, and one to the rear brakes on a single bowl or one to the kelsey hayes block on a single bowl OR plugged up if using a dual bowl,. 

On your mc, are both bowls the same size?   you said you have a power disc mc.  any chance you have a power drum mc?

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

8/21/2013 8:00 PM  #11

Is the front port on the MC going to the proportioning valve, then the rear port nearest the fireall going to the distribution block/front brakes?

There were no factory power disc brake cars in 65/66.  I think a good picture of the booster and master cylinder showing where the hard lines go would be a big help to diagnosing this.

8/21/2013 8:10 PM  #12

Yes the front port of the MC got to the pro portioning valve and the rear goes to the distribution block. Hopefully the picture is good enough you can see this. 

8/21/2013 8:25 PM  #13

OK, that looks correct.  It is not good to have tubing with high places, especially higher than the fluid level in the mc.  It can trap air.

Your booster is hard to discern, but it looks like the one where the master cylinder is slightly recessed into the front of the booster.  If so, that one is adjustable.  Easiest way to get it right without special tools is to remove the mc and extend the rod until the MC rocks on the rod whe you try to install it.  Then, gradually decrease the rod length until the mc no longer rocks on the rod.  That will get you to zero or just a very small gap.  Most of those boosters like that have the rod too short when you get them in the box.  Usually over 1/8" too short...  That can cause slack in the system.

8/21/2013 9:17 PM  #14

The booster does have the recessed area the MC sits in. How do I adjust the rod?  When I took the MC off earlier I tried twisting the rod but it just pulled out of the booster. 
All the brake lines are below the MC. It's hard to see that in the picture. 

8/22/2013 7:59 AM  #15

Rod adjustment...  It should have a hex shaped piece on the tip of the rod, with a thin hex jam nut behind it.  Use vise-grip pliers to reach behind those parts and grip onto the smooth shaft, holding it so it cannot turn.  Then use a wrench to turn the hex to unscrew it from the rod a bit.  Turn it until you have added about 3/16" to the length.  Do not set the jam nut just yet.

Extend the rod until the MC rocks on the rod when you try to install it.  Then, gradually decrease the rod length until the mc no longer rocks on the rod.  That will get you to zero or just a very small gap.  About 0.010" gap is best.  Once you have the length set, then tighten the jam nut against the rod to keep it from turning.  Some boosters do not use the jam nut.  If no nut exists, a dab of RTV on the threads will keep it from moving.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.