FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/16/2019 6:35 AM  #1

Hydraulic clutch reservoir

Just curious any of you running a hydraulic clutch where did you mount the remote reservoir?  pics if you have them.

I'm thinking on the back side of driver side shock tower.

6/16/2019 8:37 AM  #2

Re: Hydraulic clutch reservoir

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

6/16/2019 9:37 AM  #3

I'm assuming your clutch master is on the firewall to the inside of your booster.   I wondered how that would work running hose under the booster then up and in to fitting on top of clutch master.  Is that how you did it. Works without any issue?

6/16/2019 11:39 AM  #4

1fststang wrote:

I'm assuming your clutch master is on the firewall to the inside of your booster.   I wondered how that would work running hose under the booster then up and in to fitting on top of clutch master.  Is that how you did it. Works without any issue?

Yes to the location. The hose lays on top of the flange where the master cylinder bolts to the booster. Most of the path is all downhill and it works. I’m not a 100% sold on my internal hydraulic TO bearing yet. This is the only one I’ve had and driven very few cars to compare it to.

I will get another picture posted.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

6/17/2019 1:36 PM  #5

That's[/url] where I mounted my reservoir also and everything worked fine for a while until I had to put in a rear main seal which required me to pull the transmission.  I also have the hydraulic throw out bearing and a full Lakewood scatter shield. I had to disconnect from the clutch master cylinder.  I have yet to get all the air out of the system after numerous attempts.  The system, in my opinion, is way to sensitive to get bled.  Still fighting it.

"when I drop something, it always goes to center of the car"

6/17/2019 5:01 PM  #6

the set up I got is the Modern Driveline with an external slave cylinder connected to the clutch arm,

I guess we will see how it works out. I have a cable set up on my 67 coupe but just don't really care for how it feels but it works fine.  I thought on the Fastback I would try the hydraulic.

6/17/2019 9:36 PM  #7

1fststang wrote:

the set up I got is the Modern Driveline with an external slave cylinder connected to the clutch arm,

I guess we will see how it works out. I have a cable set up on my 67 coupe but just don't really care for how it feels but it works fine.  I thought on the Fastback I would try the hydraulic.

How is the slave cylinder attached to the clutch arm on your application?  I am getting tired of having to pull the transmission each time I need to check things at the throw-out bearing.  With the full scatter shield, I can't check anything without pulling the trans.  Can you send a picture maybe?  Thanks

"when I drop something, it always goes to center of the car"

6/19/2019 12:13 PM  #8

1fststang wrote:

I went w/ the modern driveline hydraulic clutch setup too.  I ordered a small reservoir that came off of a motorcycle and fabricated a small bracket.  I'll send a pic.

6/21/2019 10:56 PM  #9

I'm running a hydraulic clutch.  I wanted to use a hydraulic clutch with power brakes and it seemed that was a unicorn combo due to interference with the booster, so I constructed an under dash hydraulic clutch setup.  In other words, everything is hung off of the pedal assembly.   The remote reservoir mounts to the firewall on the engine side.  The slave cylinder mounts to one of Daze's brackets on the T5.  I have a rubber pad on the floor that contacts an adjustable pedal stop welded to the clutch pedal.  The setup is very smooth with little pedal effort (despite using a King Cobra pressure plate). 

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.