FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/23/2013 2:00 PM  #1

My garage smeils like an open gas container

I have an unfinished '62 Falcon 2 door wagon that was parked outside that I just moved inside that has stunk up my whole garage. It has a freshly rebuilt running 289 with a Pony Carbs 4100 spreadbore, a renewed tank, and a new fuel line- basically it's all new from the tank forward save for the cab that had been removed from an other car and drained and stored prior to intallation on the Falcon.

So I haven't had the opportunity to investigate thoroughly but I wanted to ask if you folks thought it possible that it could be unburned fuel in the exhaust as I haven't messed with the idle mixture screws. There is no obvious leaks and honestly it's been so long since I've kept a carbureted vehicle inside that I may have just forgotten that thats what they smell like on account of poorly sealing fuel caps and fuel evaporating right through the bowl vents. The stink is rather loud.

8/23/2013 3:40 PM  #2

Re: My garage smeils like an open gas container

Welcome to FYI FORD.  Glad you found us.

You should not be smelling raw gas in the garage.

The Mustangs are notorious for the inlet hose getting old and cracked, from the filler tube to the gas tank.  Be sure that is not a possible leak on yours.

Sometimes a fuel pump or carb can seep a little fuel and you will never see it because it evaporates so fast.  But it it does seep, you will smell it.  Fuel pumps can even leak internally into the engine block.  The carbs like yours and Holleys with the accelerator pump on the bottom of the front bowl of the carb can seep gas through the diaphragm if it gets a hole in it.  Older versions are susceptible to the new alcohol blended fuels that deteriorate them rapidly.  That one is also hard to spot as it usually evaporates before you see it.

Be sure float levels are correct in the carb.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/23/2013 7:21 PM  #3

Re: My garage smeils like an open gas container

Thanks Steve, I used to participate now and again on the old forums, I like what you've done with the place.

I had sidelined this project for some time for various financial and personal reasons so a lot of what I've done (and haven't done) is no longer fresh in my memory.

Having said that your mentioning the issue with the filler tubes serves as a reminder about something I had left unfinished. I'm not sure if this is the case on other Ford and Mercury early to mid sixties compacts, but the fuel tank on this little wagon has a 1/4" nipple on the top  D-side that was connected via a rubber hose to a hard line that was routed up through the quarter panal and back to a grommet next to the fill neck for what I believe is for the purpose of venting/ breathing while filling up. 

The carb sat in a box for 7 or 8 years and so I still aim to take a hard look at it to survey it's condition as I was already concerned the gaskets may have dried out as well as re-check all the plumbing, but I do have an open line right atop the tank and the smell seams strongest towards the back so that certainly is a spot where gas is just evaporating right out into the atmosphere- and my garage. 

Thanks again, I've done a lot of crazy stuff to this car so I'll have more questions and pics as I reopen this can-O-worms.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.