FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/01/2019 9:20 PM  #1

Vin plate

Can anyone tell me where I can get a new vin plate? ( I have valid title)

8/01/2019 9:42 PM  #2

Re: Vin plate

Define vin plate? 
Are you referring to the door data plate?
What year car?

8/02/2019 1:00 AM  #3

There was someone (from one of the big Mustang supply places?) reproducing door data plates with your info. I don’t believe there is a legal issue since the number in the inner fender is what counts. I guess you could build a car with any combination of options and colors and make a data plate to match. As long as it’s disclosed as a custom and not a factory plate it’s probably ok.

Last edited by Muzz 66 (8/02/2019 1:02 AM)

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

8/02/2019 5:47 AM  #4

Marti Auto Works reproduces all the tags used on classic Mustangs. 

https://www.martiauto.com/

8/02/2019 6:04 PM  #5

687072mustang wrote:

Can anyone tell me where I can get a new vin plate? ( I have valid title)

Hi Steve,
Are you referring to the VIN plate that is located on the forward side of the dash and read through the windshield? I have on like that on my 68, and I don't have it located anywhere else on the car except on the door data tag. In 68 they stopped stamping them on the inner fender apron and it was put on that VIN tag on the dash.
As far as getting a new one of those, I really don't know how to get one. Could you get hold of Dick Knight or maybe Scott Robinson and ask them?
( I looked over the tags supplied by Marti for a 68 Mustang T code, which is what mine was and there is no VIN tag shown for replacement by them)

Last edited by Ron68 (8/02/2019 6:10 PM)

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

8/02/2019 8:05 PM  #6

Thank you Ron. Yes it is the metal dash vin tag that I was looking for.  I have a 67 that has been repaired at BOTH inner fenders and the person who did replacement of the inner fender did NOT save stamped vit #. I used the car   dash and roof for a 67 that was in much better shape. Now I would like to junk what is left.  I was told that even with a title the junk yard will not accept cars without a vin . Dash tag lost, front half of  both inner replaced by PO What to do??

8/02/2019 10:30 PM  #7

Cut it up into pieces and take it to the scrap yard in Woodinville (Schnitzer Steel) ?  Is there anything on the car worth selling as parts? Craigslist? I know there are scrappers who will take any metal you have. Good luck.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

8/02/2019 10:31 PM  #8

What do they do with burned out hulks where all those numbers have been destroyed? The motor vehicle authority in your state will have to tell you what to do. Maybe an affidavit stating the facts as you know them will be enough. Then they’ll probably give you a state issued VIN so you can scrap it.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

8/03/2019 6:28 AM  #9

Not worth the effort.  Ten minutes and a sawzall.  Scrap to the scrap yard.  Done.

8/03/2019 12:56 PM  #10

I like the way you think.  For some reason I always end up doing it the hard way.

8/03/2019 6:44 PM  #11

Well it would be a lot harder to cut up. The car has been my dump for all household and car metal. It is really loaded.
About the only useable Mustang parts are the rear axle and front spindles. Top gone, center of  floor (tranny hump) sent to a Mustang Steve person about 2 years ago. Just a total rust and junk car. 

8/04/2019 5:32 AM  #12

Just take it to the scrap yard as is then.  The places around here sure wouldn't care.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.