FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/04/2019 5:37 AM  #26

Re: Mustang got pretty hot yesterday... disheartened .. need help

I don't think it would hurt anything HudginJ3.  I put high flow water pumps in the same category as high volume oil pumps.  Basically they are solutions in search of a problem.  You can't have enough water flow, right?  You can't have too much oil supply, right?  As it turns you, the answer is wrong on both counts. 

What you are describing is an issue with the coolant not being able to properly rid itself of heat.  If the radiator and fan package are up to the task I have to conclude that the fluid is simply not spending enough time in the radiator to get rid of the heat, and that's an issue with too much coolant flow.

I've run standard volume water pumps on pretty much everything I've ever built and never had an overheating issue that wasn't ultimately solved by something other than a high flow water pump. 

8/04/2019 11:19 AM  #27

I know it won't work for everybody butt.............the Shelby apron cured my over heating issues. Opening up the front does miracles for heat removal!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/04/2019 11:23 AM  #28

TKOPerformance wrote:

I don't think it would hurt anything HudginJ3.  I put high flow water pumps in the same category as high volume oil pumps.  Basically they are solutions in search of a problem.  You can't have enough water flow, right?  You can't have too much oil supply, right?  As it turns you, the answer is wrong on both counts. 

What you are describing is an issue with the coolant not being able to properly rid itself of heat.  If the radiator and fan package are up to the task I have to conclude that the fluid is simply not spending enough time in the radiator to get rid of the heat, and that's an issue with too much coolant flow.

I've run standard volume water pumps on pretty much everything I've ever built and never had an overheating issue that wasn't ultimately solved by something other than a high flow water pump. 

The “too much flow to reject the heat as it goes through the radiator” is an old shade tree mechanic’s tale that is not true. Higher flow increases turbulence which increases heat transfer. There is a limit to how much the higher flow pump will increase flow due to the flow restriction caused by the thermostat. Since the thermostat is in the flow path as the coolant exits the block, any flow restriction by the thermostat raises the coolant pressure in the engine which is a good thing since the coolant can hold more heat without boiling the higher the pressure is. The radiator will transfer a certain amount of heat at a certain differential temperature. It really does not matter how many times the coolant has to flow through the radiator. Having said all that, a standard flow water pump is probably all that is needed on a street driven car. A bigger radiator never hurts. A fan shroud greatly increases air flow through the radiator.

8/04/2019 11:28 AM  #29

I would try less anti freeze mixture, ie, 75% water, 25% anti freeze, with some Water Wetter.

8/04/2019 12:04 PM  #30

Hornman wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

The “too much flow to reject the heat as it goes through the radiator” is an old shade tree mechanic’s tale that is not true. Higher flow increases turbulence which increases heat transfer. There is a limit to how much the higher flow pump will increase flow due to the flow restriction caused by the thermostat. Since the thermostat is in the flow path as the coolant exits the block, any flow restriction by the thermostat raises the coolant pressure in the engine which is a good thing since the coolant can hold more heat without boiling the higher the pressure is. The radiator will transfer a certain amount of heat at a certain differential temperature. It really does not matter how many times the coolant has to flow through the radiator. Having said all that, a standard flow water pump is probably all that is needed on a street driven car. A bigger radiator never hurts. A fan shroud greatly increases air flow through the radiator.

Popcorn time............

8/04/2019 1:54 PM  #31

I did install a high pressure oil pump at the same time during the build. The pressure stays right on the H till it gets real hot, then it goes down just a small amount. When the engine cools down with the AC off the pressure goes back up. The radiator is a 4 core aluminum designed for the Boss 302 and up engines. I'm running the Ford Contour fans that are on any time the AC is on and comes on at 190 with a 190 thermostat. It seems like it is better with that then it was with the engine driven fan, that was a flex fan. I installed one of those radiator caps with the thermometer in it. It seems pretty acurate.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

8/04/2019 1:56 PM  #32

HudginJ3 wrote:

I did install a high pressure oil pump at the same time during the build. The pressure stays right on the H till it gets real hot, then it goes down just a small amount. When the engine cools down with the AC off the pressure goes back up. The radiator is a 4 core aluminum designed for the Boss 302 and up engines. I'm running the Ford Contour fans that are on any time the AC is on and comes on at 190 with a 190 thermostat. It seems like it is better with that then it was with the engine driven fan, that was a flex fan. I installed one of those radiator caps with the thermometer in it. It seems pretty acurate.

You mean WATER pump, right?!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/04/2019 3:02 PM  #33

josh-kebob wrote:

Hornman wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Popcorn time............

There is a reason they are called the LAWS of Thermodynamics!

8/04/2019 4:48 PM  #34

If you keep coolant in the radiator longer to cool it down more you simultaneously keep coolant in the block heating it up more. Sounds like a wash, mostly. Are there advantages to higher flow pumps? I think so, reduction of hot spots probably. Forcing more water past places where coolant flow is restricted. Even MS reported a 5 degree reduction in temperature after adding a flow cooler pump. I think most of our collective cooling problems simply stem from decades old blocks full of scale, rust, blockages and rough passages that were once smooth.
So, bigger radiators and more functional fans and shrouds all around please!

Last edited by Muzz 66 (8/04/2019 4:50 PM)

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

8/04/2019 6:30 PM  #35

If nothing else, you guys make me think harder than any other forum I frequent.  It seems like most things automotive separating myth from fact is muddied by decades of partially correct information. 

I think this concept began when cars lacked pressurized cooling systems.  In such a system it is entirely possible to move the water through the system too fast and it will cause overheating.  Now, what was really causing this issue?  Likely it was more the result of cavitation and the introduction of gas into the cooling system, not the amount of time the coolant was in the block or radiator.  Yet, this theory persists, kind of like the idea that you can't put a battery on a concrete floor. 

There is a time component to heat transfer, and it doesn't violate any law of physics of thermodynamics.  BUT, it actually works opposite from what the common myth would have you believe.  Heat transfer is greatest at the highest difference in temperature.  Think about it this way: heat a piece of steel red hot with a torch then plunge it into a bucket of water for a couple seconds.  It stops being red hot almost immediately, but a couple seconds later its still too hot to touch.  If you want to cool it all the way down you have to leave it in the water for a considerable amount of time.  This is because the closer the steel gets to the temperature of the water its immersed in the slower the rate of heat transfer.  So in a radiator the coolant transfers maximum heat in the first few seconds and very little thereafter.  So consider if you doubled the flow you would introduce the coolant to the radiator twice as often and it would get the benefit of the maximum heat rejection due to initial contact twice as often.  That simply can't be bad.  This also works for the coolant removing heat from the block. 

Summation, turns out its a myth, a high flow pump isn't going to move coolant through the system too fast and negatively impact cooling.

8/04/2019 8:48 PM  #36

When the Edelbrock pump on my 427 started to seep a little, I replaced it, and nothing else, with a flowkooler pump. My gauge read five degrees cooler from then on.
Not sure exactly why. Just got a positive result.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/05/2019 5:34 AM  #37

It seems that Flow Kooler actually did some research and designed a better impeller.  Their design both increased flow and reduced cavitation.  The biggest improvement is at lower RPM from what I read.

Most aftermarket pumps are just copies of stock ones, often the only difference is that they are aluminum instead of iron.  I've found the same impeller design in stock replacement pumps and high flow pumps, which both had the same exact casting BTW (not similar, as in cast by the same foundry).  The high flow pump had a steel disc spot welded to the back of the stock style impeller.  That's an old trick that supposedly improves flow.  The stock replacement cost $50, the high flow one $100.  Aside from the disc on the impeller the only other difference was the box it came in.  Made my own disc and sent the $100 one back. 

8/05/2019 12:50 PM  #38

Yes, I agree they are same pump as the OReilly or Autozone pumps with just an impeller disc riveted on.

8/05/2019 9:06 PM  #39

6sally6 wrote:

HudginJ3 wrote:

You mean WATER pump, right?!

To be clear when I built the engine I installed a Flow Kooler high flow water pump  P/N 1650 and a high pressure oil pump. I don't have the brand or p/n of the oil pump.  And a "RV" cam without out many lumps in it.

Last edited by HudginJ3 (8/05/2019 9:11 PM)

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

8/09/2019 3:20 PM  #40

The switch from 13# to 16# radiator cap solved overheating issues for me.
I made the change when I had installed a new 3 row copper brass radiator.
Also installed an electric fan to run with ignition on only.
I let the 180 degree thermostat regulate the temperature for 289.
Ran stock cast iron replacement water pump.
Hey, it was my daily ( only) driver at the time.

8/11/2019 2:53 AM  #41

i own a 64 falcon, had issues with over heating, opened up the core support to the larger size as what has what was posted by MS. a 20" 3 row aluminum rad. with a fan shield. fan needs to set half in, half out the shield. found a 7 blade mopar fan blade, it might be a 6 blade, at pate swap meet. runs about 190 with the air on in traffic. didn't have room for the pusher fan after installing the air cond.

6/04/2020 9:49 PM  #42

Would the small Hayden (6x11) 676 rapid-cool plate and fin cooler work as an aux cooler on a stock 289/C4 remotely located say below the alt with a T stat pusher fan on top? going through the champion radiator too. 
I think the cooler is a good idea just dont want to block more of my radiator, I have AC 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

6/05/2020 5:25 AM  #43

Sure, you can mount a trans cooler just about anywhere so long as you have airflow through it.  An attached electric fan takes care of that. 

6/05/2020 6:33 AM  #44

Overheating problems start in the engine itself.  You will eventually have to fix the actual problem. Bandaid fixes are temporary, at best, and cost money   If you fix the actual problem, it is permanent and the car should operate without a bunch of extra parts.

6/05/2020 6:34 AM  #45

Overheating problems start in the engine itself.  You will eventually have to fix the actual problem. Bandaid fixes are temporary, at best, and cost money   If you fix the actual problem, it is permanent and the car should operate without a bunch of extra parts.

6/05/2020 7:39 AM  #46

This may be met with some division, but I am yet to hear a good story involving an alloy radiator and electric fans set up on an old classic.
In my experience and from what I have read over the years, a good old copper/brass radiator with a mechanical fan is the way to go. This is what I have had on my car since I owned it (17 years). A year or so ago I had some overheating occur in the peak of summer, but that was quickly resolved with a proper radiator flush at a shop. For extra measure, I installed a 5-blade fan. The only other thing I might consider doing is fitting a fluid clutch type fan, but that is about it.
With the electric fans, these can actually block air flow...

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

6/05/2020 8:49 AM  #47

Well... like stevo said, I went with 69 24” copper radiator and a flex 7 blades fan and the car never ran cooler. 
That got me to look into other issues with the engine , and why it wasn’t performing..
And like MS said, issues start in the engine , I agree , and hence I am also building a 347 lol.. so with the 24” plus flex fan keeping it all cool, I am hoping to not have this happen again, and move to other issues lol

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

6/05/2020 5:18 PM  #48

I've had such a rusting problem in my 'parts chaser pick-up' I am running about a 1/2 gallon of white vinegar and tap water in it right now. I will flush it here "one-day" and see if with distilled water and anti-freeze it will be healed!
  Right now.............every time I drive it I start craving a salad with vinegarette dressing! Strange!!
6sally6

6/05/2020 9:50 PM  #49

6sally6 wrote:

I've had such a rusting problem in my 'parts chaser pick-up' I am running about a 1/2 gallon of white vinegar and tap water in it right now. I will flush it here "one-day" and see if with distilled water and anti-freeze it will be healed!
  Right now.............every time I drive it I start craving a salad with vinegarette dressing! Strange!!
6sally6

Or a pickle....

6/06/2020 6:17 AM  #50

MS wrote:

Overheating problems start in the engine itself. You will eventually have to fix the actual problem. Bandaid fixes are temporary, at best, and cost money If you fix the actual problem, it is permanent and the car should operate without a bunch of extra parts.

I tend to agree, but if you are experiencing the problem when the transmission is working the hardest its not beyond the realm of possibilities that the trans fluid temperature is causing the coolant temperature to rise.  This would be most prevalent in a combination with a high stall speed converter on prolonged trips where the engine cruise RPM is below the converter stall speed.  The converter is slipping all the time, creating a ton of heat. 

Now if the coolant is getting hot just putzing around town, sitting at idle, etc. a trans cooler isn't going to do anything for that. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.