FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/22/2013 7:50 PM  #1

Brake pad material question

MS- I know that you have recommended organic pads vs. semi-metallic on disc conversions. What do you think about ceramic pads?  Thanks.

8/22/2013 8:01 PM  #2

Re: Brake pad material question

I like MS's theroy about cheap pads are softer...therefore they stop good. Swat-eye used on my disc update.
Since I "work" at Pep Boyz lot of people go with the ceramic pads. Big selling point is they don't make the blk/brown brake dust tht stick to your rims. They dust....just not blk/brown....cost more.....harder than  cheaper pads....sooo the stopping issue. NOT say'in they won't stop ya.....just logical  that softer pads "should" grip a little better. BUTT.....they wear out quicker!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/22/2013 8:12 PM  #3

I have tried ceramic pads on some of my newer vehicles and they just would not stop the car!  That said, my new 14" Brembo (GT500 take-offs) front discs on my 2007 Mustang now have maybe 500 miles on them and the black brake dust is terrible.  I ordered a set  of HAWK performance pads that are ceramic and very low dusting.  The reviews from others using them said they stop better than the stockers.  I figured I would give them a try since the black dust is unacceptable to me.  I have not installed them yet.  When I do, I will give a full report on how well they stop.  These pads were $133 for the front set.  They BETTER stop well...  I am "hoping" that, being more expensive, they will actually stop.  Will see...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/22/2013 9:27 PM  #4

When we used to race, most guys that didn't use the porterfield r4 for racing or r4s for street, then the cheapest organic pads were used for track events in norcal saac.  I highly recommended the porterfield r4s carbon Kevlar street pads that are low dust and work really well.  I try to stay away from ceramic pads, as they tend to create hot spots, and on some rotors, warpage occurs. Some ceramic compounds have too many aramid fibers, which cause these hot spot, warping problems, and after awhile glaze rotors which make them sound like a garbage truck. Sometimes it makes a difference how you break /bed them in, or if they are going on a used rotor.  Years ago, if you put semimetallic pads or ceramic pads on rotors made for organic pads, the metallic pads would superheat and sometimes catch on fire. Now days, I think the rotor material is all the same.

8/23/2013 5:25 AM  #5

Good information about brake pads.  I have a take off set of calipers, rotors and pads to install on the wifes 05 GT. Her current brakes (original) have produced very little dust in the 8 years they have been on. I hope the new ones don't suprise me with a lot of dust when installed. Hope to hear how the expensive pad perform. I believe my take offs were from a 2010 GT.

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

8/23/2013 7:48 AM  #6

BobC wrote:

Good information about brake pads.  I have a take off set of calipers, rotors and pads to install on the wifes 05 GT. Her current brakes (original) have produced very little dust in the 8 years they have been on. I hope the new ones don't suprise me with a lot of dust when installed. Hope to hear how the expensive pad perform. I believe my take offs were from a 2010 GT.

BobC, you can upgrade to the 13.2" brakes from a newer Mustang also.  Roush sells the rotors and caliper set for $125 shipped now !!!  Those new original pads won't dust on you.  My 07 never made brake dust.  The GT500 brakes are notorious for turning wheels black in a day.  I hope I am not disappointed in the HAWK pads I bought for them.  I have the HAWKS in the rear and they do not turn the wheels black.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/25/2013 1:44 AM  #7

Steve,
What do you think about the OEM COBRA pads? Still trying to decide whether to use them as installed or switch to organic before driving it. The rotors are new also.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.