FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/15/2019 5:48 AM  #1

ttii with brake kit?

So I'm building a 66 mustang that I wanted to put the classic torq thrust ii's on. i like the look more than the tt-m's and like the 17.8 with 4.81 b.s. that I wanted for the rears. I was planning on running 17x7 on front.  I've done a bit of reading about them not fitting with the ms cobra or gt brakes. my question is the gt brakes as in the 13.2" ones? or does that also include the 12.5" ones. I just did the brakes kit & used the 12.5" brakes. if there is indeed a fitment issue what about the tt-d? thanks!

8/15/2019 6:28 AM  #2

Re: ttii with brake kit?

First:  Welcome to the forum, the best place on the web.  Hope you have a long and happy visit.

Do what I did...buy one wheel of your choice from Summit.  If it fits and clears everything buy three more...or one more in your case.  If it doesn't send it back.  Free shipping from Summit and easy returns. 

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (8/15/2019 6:28 AM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/15/2019 9:40 AM  #3

Welcome to the best Mustang site out there.
You got it right with the wheels.  I'll let others talk about back spacing as it is  somewhat depends on which wheels you use.  The 13+" brakes work on some wheels and not others.  12.5's should work on any 17' wheel.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

8/15/2019 10:32 AM  #4

I would follow Bullet’s advice on this. Just don’t mount a tire on it and test fit.
And let us know the results!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/05/2020 12:33 PM  #5

so I finally ordered a17x7 tt2 and they do not fit the 12.5 brakes. I have a 17x7 rambler wheel on another car that I tried that is close to fitting but still rubs a little. anyone try the v40 or v45? another one I found is the bg rod works old school?

4/05/2020 1:45 PM  #6

I have V45’s 17x8 with 235-45-17 on the front of my 68 and everything is close but nothing rubs anywhere brakes or tires and I have it low.

4/05/2020 2:09 PM  #7

I will add that with the 66 I believe that a 7" wheel is best, and I wish I would have went 7" as well, and may have the fronts cut down someday. Maybe once I get power steering the 8's and 235's wont be bad, but right now a little narrower tire up front would be nice.

4/07/2020 7:13 PM  #8

The 17x7 TTII wheels with a 1/4” spacer will clear the 13” Cobra front brakes. Not sure about the GT.  The interference is typically behind the curved spokes on that wheel, not at the rim itself.
You will NOT enjoy a 17 x 8 wheel on the front of a 66.   7” works well, though.

4/07/2020 7:40 PM  #9

Agree, as I stated above if I had it to do over I would have went with 7” up front and might cut them down. I have the GT brakes and you can see in th e photo above that the spikes and caliper is close but they do NOT touch with NO spacer. As the brakes ware the calipers will pull in and give some more room.

4/08/2020 3:36 AM  #10

I think the spokes on the TTII curve inward a tad more than the vintage 45 spokes.  I think Bullet Bob’s advice is best bet.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.