FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/16/2019 6:02 PM  #1

Flashing red back up lights

Hello everyone, I have almost been rear ended twice now while setting at a stop. First time was at a school bus and she didnt even see the bus lights.  This last time it was in the stang. Pepole are just not paying attention. I have this idea as I dont have back up ilghts and I was thinking of installing some with brite red lights on a flasher. Any ideas before I try this out?

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

8/16/2019 6:59 PM  #2

Re: Flashing red back up lights

Back in the day, cars had one brake light. Then two... now three. All to get people to notice your car and not run into it. Doesn't seem to me to be working. I don't think four or forty brake lights will get some people to notice other cars also use the road and sometimes are in front of them. Good luck though.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

8/16/2019 7:59 PM  #3

Yes you are correct. If they cant see all of those lights on a bus why should they see me

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

8/16/2019 8:38 PM  #4

You might get their attention if they flashed RED AND BLUE.  🤪.  Unfortunately it would get the 5 OH’s attention too!  Book him Dano!

8/16/2019 10:42 PM  #5

Check the laws in your state. I am pretty sure that you need to have standard constant-on bright brake lights in order to be legal. 
When I drove and raced an 09 Miata, I started using the in-line brake light pulser from Web Electronics. They are also the people that make the sequential tail lights for late model 'Stangs.
If you did the install you suggest, then you could flash people quickly when ever you slowed down.
Think about those insane pulsing headlights that big motorcycles use to increase their visibility...and do that on the rear of your car. Miata owners do this mod all of the time. Of course they still get rear ended--just not as hard.

8/17/2019 8:16 AM  #6

We’ve had work trucks where the third brake light on the cab had some....to use Prof’s word “pulser”. It would get your attention. Some would pulse the whole time the brake lights were on and others would pulse three time then go solid red. The main brake lights operated normally.

I do see some trucks and trailers running the roads around here with a yellow strobe flasher on the back end. It blinks all the time. It can be seen at a distance and its really annoying in the dark.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

8/17/2019 4:16 PM  #7

Many moons ago I thought that pulsing brake lights would be the ticket. The harder you stop, the more they would pulse. Then in 2016, or so, I noticed on new vehicles the third brake light started pulsing when the brakes were applied; for a short time. A step in the right direction, but not far enough.

Now that every auto has LED lights I find them way to bright and when the brake lights come one I almost have to close my eyes. It does not help that 90% of the drivers in my area ride the brake pedal with the left foot. The brake lights are on all the time. How do you tell if they're really braking? Make the brake lights pulse slow for moderate, faster for normal and really fast for hard braking. 

Of course my peeves don't end there. With the advent of brow LED lights and super bright headlights it was impossible to see a front turn signal as the signal light was stuffed right beside the brow/headlight. Who's great idea was that? Now I see newer cars where the daylight brow lights go out when the turn signal comes on. A great step forward, although the turn signal light is still tucked in close to the headlamp and at night one cannot see that dim yellow flashing light. 

On another rant; we have to many fatals where I live. If people would just slow down and pay attention these fatal accidents would be less frequent. It seems the motto where I live is "Go as fast as you can, screw the other guy and check email as often as you can"

Sorry about the soap box.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

8/17/2019 4:23 PM  #8

Bolted to Floor wrote:

I do see some trucks and trailers running the roads around here with a yellow strobe flasher on the back end. It blinks all the time. It can be seen at a distance and its really annoying in the dark.

OMG, the snow plows in our area have switched to LED strobes. At night it is damn near impossible to see when you get close to the plows. Technological advancements in lighting is not always the best way.

Another one: Those gosh darn LED light bars the bubba mounts on his truck. He seems to think it is OK as a low beam flood. The guy should be tarred and feathered as no one heading the opposite direction on a two lane road can see poop. 

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

8/17/2019 8:51 PM  #9

Well....let me B-itch also.
In my area "the bubbasz" think they ALL have tractor/truck pulling trucks!  Big "road-packer" mud grips with about 1/2 the tire hanging outside the fender wells. THEN....they gotta jack the front of the truck wayyyy up like a 60's straight axled gasser.
After dropping thousands totally ruining the ride and handling on a 60,000 dollar truck..........they can't spend 75 bucks to have the headlights re-aligned.
NOW...their super white/super bright headlights blinds everybody - EVERYBODY in the on coming lane!
Not sure if they are just a-holdz or just plain stupid about how light works in the dark!!
Companies manufacture portable flood lights that put out in excess of 1,000,000  candle power light. (great for "shining-up deer BTW). Plugs into an accessory socket(AKA a cigarette lighter socket!) 
Just wanted to 'throw-that-litle-tid-bit-out-there!' 
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/17/2019 8:53 PM  #10

Well....let me B-itch also.
In my area "the bubbasz" think they ALL have tractor/truck pulling trucks!  Big "road-packer" mud grips with about 1/2 the tire hanging outside the fender wells. THEN....they gotta jack the front of the truck wayyyy up like a 60's straight axled gasser.
After dropping thousands totally ruining the ride and handling on a 60,000 dollar truck..........they won't spend 75 bucks to have the headlights re-aligned.
NOW...their super white/super bright headlights blinds everybody - EVERYBODY in the on coming lane!
Not sure if they are just a-holdz or just plain stupid about how light works in the dark!!
FYI...Companies manufacture portable flood lights that put out in excess of 1,000,000  candle power light. (great for "shining-up deer BTW). Plugs into an accessory socket(AKA a cigarette lighter socket!) 
Just wanted to 'throw-that-litle-tid-bit-out-there!' 
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.