FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/31/2013 6:27 PM  #1

1966 mustang convertible ride height.

I need some help with ride height. In the last year I have rebuilt the engine with aluminum heads and intake, moved the battery to the trunk, took off the A/C system, and swapped out the 4 speed for a 5 speed. Now the front end sits really high and the car does not handle well. It also has a Borgenson integeral P/S gear installed. The front end from center cap to wheel lip is 16" front and 14" rear. Would you recommend doing the shelby drop on the upper control arms? Should I cut the factory springs or get new lower rate springs? And what rate would you recommend if so?

7/31/2013 6:49 PM  #2

Re: 1966 mustang convertible ride height.

IMHO I would start with the Shelby Drop and go from there.  When I did mine it lowered the front a lot more than what was claimed.  It should at least level the car.  As for handling, the SD should improve that but there are many more alignment circumstances that could be affecting it.

Do the SD and if the height suits you have the caster (extremely important), camber and toe-in checked.

Last edited by boomyal (7/31/2013 6:52 PM)

7/31/2013 6:50 PM  #3

Looks like the WYAIT Monster has got hold of you.  One good mod deserves another...

Alot of good info on this can be found at http://www.mustangsteve.com/rideheight.html  Find one you like and duplicate what that person has listed for their car.  The info is many years old, though and lots of new stuff has come out since then.  One being progressive rate springs.

The easiest way to get a reasonable ride height involves two things.  The Shelby UCA relocation (for about 3/4" drop) and a set of new shorter springs.  The Progressive Motorsport progressive rate springs seem to be the ones of choice.  I have them on my car now and I am very happy with the ride quality and performance.  Of course, if you don't mind labor vs spending money, you can always experiment with trimming the stock springs in front.  A coil spring gets stiffer (increased spring rate) when you cut it, but typically still alot softer than the 600# springs alot of guys are using.

Another cause of high front end height, to a much lesser degree, is if the LCA bushing bolts were tightened with the wheels dangling, like when the car's frame is supported by jackstands.  UCA pivot bolts should only be tightened with the weight of the car supported by the wheels.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/31/2013 8:50 PM  #4

Thanks for the reply. I found Pro-Motorsport springs and I like the progressive spring concept. Do you think I will need there Vario-Centric camber adjuster kit or the longer pivot shaft bolts they also sell. Thanks again.

7/31/2013 9:11 PM  #5

You don't have to use all that stuff, but longer UCA bolts might be in order.  The MOOG kits come with long bolts, so don't pay alot of money just to get bolts.  The longer bolts allow you to use more shims to get the adjustment needed.

The vario-centric kit will require welding and is not necessary as long as you can get the adjustment at the UCA pivot with shims.  I have the stock LCA pivot bolt connections on my car.

TIP of the day:  When you get home from the alignment shop, get your 3/4" box end wrench out and retighten all four UCA pivot shaft mounting bolts.  The alignment guys seldom tighten them sufficiently.
Then, put a wrench on the strut rod nut at the front and check to see if they are tight.  I have seen alignment techs try to adjust the caster by repositioning the nut.  It will show up as a change on his machine, but all he is doing is loosening the nut, which causes the whole suspsnsion to move around with constant caster change going on when you are driving.  These checks take 5 minutes and can save you a ton of grief if shims were to fall out or if the strut rod came loose.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/25/2013 7:34 PM  #6

I did the shelby drop and installed the pro-motorsports springs. The car sits nice and low and looks killer. I did an alignment on the front end on Friday. The car handles much better now. The next problem is with the 15X7 wheels and P225 60 R15 tires i have a tire rub on the outside fender lip. The guy that owns the car would like to keep all 4 wheels the same. That leaves me with trying a different front tire size and/or trying to shim/or space the front springs. Does anyone make a spacer for the front springs? What do you guys recommend? Front height is 12 and 3/8 and rear is at 14 and 1/4. Thanks.

8/25/2013 7:56 PM  #7

Our 66 has 15X7 Cragars which only have 3 3/4 back space.  With that setup I have 215-60 tires and it rubbed with the 600lb, 1" drop springs which actually dropped it nearly 2 inches.  I installe a 7/8" upper spring seat from NPD and the car sets perfect, no rub and handles well.  It also has a 1" front sway bar which I believe made the most and best difference.

The 225s are likely going to be too wide with most 15X7 wheels.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.