FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/21/2019 12:16 PM  #1

Rear Gear question

Final part of the T5 swap I'm doing will be to change the diff gears to 3.25 to better work with the transmission I've got.  I've done a ring & pinion swap once before with good results.  I also have a hockey buddy (owns a transmission shop) who can check my work before installation to be sure I didn't screw it up.

So while I'm at it......

I stumbled across a trac-loc kit online... is this worth considering?  Current diff is 2.79 open.

[url]https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Ford-Trac-Lock-Posi-Gear-Bearing-Kit-Package-3-25-Ratio-8-Inch-NEW/391877912789?hash=item5b3dbe68d5:g:ArkAAOSwHHFY9NRC:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!92154!US!-1[/url]

8/21/2019 10:09 PM  #2

Re: Rear Gear question

Check out Quick Performance. Might be the same folks in the ebay add and cheaper too,

https://www.quickperformance.com/Ford-8-Trac-Lok-Posi-Ring-Pinion-Gear-Bearing-Kit-Package_p_20369.html

I bought stuff from those guys and Steve’s Mustang Parts, the Buzek brothers.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

8/22/2019 5:14 AM  #3

My skepticism hairs are standing up.  Supposedly Ford gears, but Ford hasn't made gears for the 8" in decades.  Something's off there.

Its a decent package.  3.25:1 is a good ratio for a T5 depending on tire size.  I run a 3.50:1, and am quite happy with it.  Runs 75-80 on the highway without issue and at reasonable engine RPM. 

My advice on any rear end parts is buy based on quality, not cost.  Avoid Richmond gears, they tend to make noise while coasting, even when set up properly.  My personal preference is for Yukon gears.  I've installed many sets of them and have never had a single issue.  They set up well, are quiet, and I have several sets with thousands of miles on them and not a hint of any kind of issue.  I recently had a set of Ford Motorsports gears for an 8.8 that had a machining error and the yoke was so tight on the splines I couldn't get it to seat.  I bought a set of Yukons and had the rear set up in a couple hours.

The Traction Lock diff is decent if you're not running a bunch of power through it.  If you are, they don't last too well.  Yukon also makes great limited slips.  Auburn is another good manufacturer if they offer one for the 8". 

For bearings, just stick with a good manufacturer.  I would consider the following all on par in terms of quality: Timken (USA), Koyo (Japan), and SKF (Germany).  Bearings are not where you want to save money.  The cheap ones have tolerances that are too wide and are made from lackluster materials.  The easiest way to set up a rear is to make some setup bearings for the pinion.  Grind out the ID so you get a slip fit with a second pair of bearings.  This is where tolerances come into play, if the bearings are quality the actual bearings you use and the setup bearings will pattern exactly the same.  If they aren't they won't, and you'll be ripping it back apart again, pressing off bearings, etc. because your pattern isn't right. 

In general, there are some good deals on eBay, but you need to be wary.  A LOT of stuff on eBay is knock off China made junk, often even coming in knock off packaging that looks authentic.  There is no real recourse when stuff goes sideways due to international laws which do not hold Chinese companies accountable for stealing IP from others in spite of patents, etc.  You may or may not be able to get your money back even if there's outright fraud.  I'm not saying don't buy stuff off eBay, I do it all the time, I'm just saying be careful.  Positive reviews are a good way to check, but those can be faked too.  Look for incorrect word use, improper grammer, etc. that would seem to indicate the person writing the reviews is either the same person or aren't native English speakers.  I know, its sad that it comes to this, but that's the world we now live in. 

8/22/2019 11:32 AM  #4

It all depends on the engine.  If you have a high revving engine with a decent cam in it, go with 3.70 gears.  My 427 in my 66 gets over 19mpg with 3.70 gears and a .67 overdrive.

If your engine is stock, 3.25 would be great.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/22/2019 11:55 AM  #5

The item specifics list brand as QP which is probably Quick Performance. They are stating that it fits a Ford 8" rear end.

8/22/2019 12:08 PM  #6

The car is my daily driver and the engine is pretty much stock (289).  I've got 500 miles on the engine rebuild and I honestly don't trust the C4 that's behind it.  It is working fine now, but until i put a B&M shift kit in it a couple months ago, I would get random slippage in high gear.  Even if the cause was a shifting issue, I'm assuming that the slippage did some internal damage that will show up eventually.

The T5 I got was put together by Anaheim Gear and has the 3.35 first / 0.68 5th, so yeah, the 3.25 rear gearing should be good for how i use the car.

Just wondering if the trac loc is worth the added expense.

8/22/2019 3:04 PM  #7

I vote YES! it would be worth it. When you 'show-off' for the crew........you wanna leave two stripes of smok'in-molten melted rubber!  Its worth it for the neck snap-ability (is that a word?) of the added traction when you stomp-the-crap out of the accelerator.
I guess
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/23/2019 5:05 AM  #8

cgomate wrote:

The car is my daily driver and the engine is pretty much stock (289).  I've got 500 miles on the engine rebuild and I honestly don't trust the C4 that's behind it.  It is working fine now, but until i put a B&M shift kit in it a couple months ago, I would get random slippage in high gear.  Even if the cause was a shifting issue, I'm assuming that the slippage did some internal damage that will show up eventually.

The T5 I got was put together by Anaheim Gear and has the 3.35 first / 0.68 5th, so yeah, the 3.25 rear gearing should be good for how i use the car.

Just wondering if the trac loc is worth the added expense.

Ugh!  B&M shift kits suck.  The slippage may not have damaged anything.  Its likely a sign that there just isn't enough apply pressure in high gear.  Though, it could also be a sign that the trans is just worn out, as autos start slipping in high gear when they first start to go.  It could be unrelated to the shift kit.  BUT, I stand by that B&M kits are junk.  Transgo makes much better kits.  B&M just gives it a super hard shift, but it shifts hard all the time.  Transgo kits will shift hard at WOT, but shift like stock, or even smoother everywhere else.  Its mostly because B&M blocks the accumulators solid instead of allowing accumulation, which is what mitigates harsh shifting. 

If you have an open rear, a limited slip is definitely worth the expense.  One wheel peel is just weak. 

8/23/2019 6:35 AM  #9

I like my Currie limited slip in my 8” with 3.25’s.
Originally installed with a c4.
Recently installed t5 (3.35 first), might step up to 3.55 in the future.
Don’t miss the open diff at all.
Look at cost of doing it multiple times.
Can add up fast.
You’ll still enjoy it no matter how ya do it.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.