FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/31/2019 7:54 AM  #1

Gauges set up

I have the stock standard 1964-1/2 dash in my car. I keep thinking it would be nice to get some more gauges such as oil pressure, maybe amp meter. Tacho would be real cool too.
Anyway, I wondered what you guys have? Can you share some photos of your dashes?
I don't want to cut into my dash or anything, so maybe a customized rallypac would be best?

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

8/31/2019 9:09 AM  #2

Re: Gauges set up

I put Autometer white faced gauges into my 66 gauge bezel. I used a Dremel tool to very carefully enlarge the holes. An after market bezel is pretty inexpensive. See pics in "pictures and history". Don't bother with an Amp gauge. Use a volt gauge instead.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

8/31/2019 12:28 PM  #3

I replaced my stock 64.5 dash with a bezel from Mustangs To Fear and Speedhut gauges.
Here’s a pic before I installed them in the car.

9/01/2019 6:15 AM  #4

I did something very similar to BillyC.  I fabricated a new backing plate for a stock bezel from 1/8" thick aluminum and mounted Autometer gauges for fuel level (2-5/8"), clock (2-5/8"), coolant temp (2-5/8"), speedo (5"), and tach (5").  Then I added a simple two gauge mount below the head unit, low on the dash, for a 2-5/8" oil pressure and 2-5/8" voltmeter.  Eventually I'll build a console around that mount, but I'm still working on my relocated shifter and lever parking brake.  This setup kept the basic layout of the stock cluster, but improved it.  It is a bit different for me though, because I have a '67, and the entire dash is different than an early car.

That said, I wasn't happy with the cost or appearance of what I could buy so I built my own.  Also, building new clusters is kind of a thing for me.  I've done one for my '86 IROC and my '87 K5.  Its one of the ways I make a vehicle mine I suppose. 

9/01/2019 7:25 AM  #5

I bought a deluxe bezel and installed speedhut electronic gauges in it.  I also plan to run a Shelby console and install my voltmeter and AF gauge in it.

9/01/2019 2:45 PM  #6

This is a heavily modified stock gauge cluster with Speed Hut gauges for my 66 fastback.

This is a Scott Drake custom gauge panel with Speed Hut gauges for my 65 coupe.

All the Speed Hut gauges are electronic with stepper motors. The speedometers are GPS with no speedo cable. (The speedo drive is used for speed sensing for cruise control.)

9/02/2019 5:15 AM  #7

Chaplin wrote:

I replaced my stock 64.5 dash with a bezel from Mustangs To Fear and Speedhut gauges.

This looks awesome! Love this but would prefer the panel face in a black.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

9/02/2019 5:17 AM  #8

TKOPerformance wrote:

I did something very similar to BillyC.  I fabricated a new backing plate for a stock bezel from 1/8" thick aluminum and mounted Autometer gauges for fuel level (2-5/8"), clock (2-5/8"), coolant temp (2-5/8"), speedo (5"), and tach (5").  Then I added a simple two gauge mount below the head unit, low on the dash, for a 2-5/8" oil pressure and 2-5/8" voltmeter.  Eventually I'll build a console around that mount, but I'm still working on my relocated shifter and lever parking brake.  This setup kept the basic layout of the stock cluster, but improved it.  It is a bit different for me though, because I have a '67, and the entire dash is different than an early car.

That said, I wasn't happy with the cost or appearance of what I could buy so I built my own.  Also, building new clusters is kind of a thing for me.  I've done one for my '86 IROC and my '87 K5.  Its one of the ways I make a vehicle mine I suppose. 

This sounds interesting TKO. Do you have any pictures of the gauge set up that you have in your Mustang?

9/02/2019 5:18 AM  #9

Hornman wrote:

This is a heavily modified stock gauge cluster with Speed Hut gauges for my 66 fastback.

This is a Scott Drake custom gauge panel with Speed Hut gauges for my 65 coupe.

All the Speed Hut gauges are electronic with stepper motors. The speedometers are GPS with no speedo cable. (The speedo drive is used for speed sensing for cruise control.)

Thanks for sharing this. How does the GPS speedo set up go with accuracy and installation?

9/02/2019 5:20 AM  #10

I am kind of torn on what to do. I have the standard setup in my car and wondered about ditching that for something like what you guys have shown, or maybe keep the original set up and add to it?

9/02/2019 6:29 AM  #11

Sure, here you go if this works, haven't used the new photo posting yet...

upload

9/02/2019 7:56 AM  #12

Here is my set up, Autometer gauges in my modified original bezel.I made a mounting plate from 1/16' aluminum sheet and modified the original steel mount to suit.

Last edited by Rudi (9/02/2019 7:59 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/02/2019 10:49 AM  #13

Stevo,
The GPS speedo is an easy hookup. Provide constant power to retain settings and give the small antenna a view of the sky. Accuracy has been good, but if you routinely go through long tunnels it takes a few seconds after exit for the speedo to get its bearings again.

9/05/2019 4:59 AM  #14

Chaplin wrote:

Is it possible to get this instrument face in a black? What was it like fitting it and connecting up the wiring?

9/05/2019 5:08 AM  #15

I currently have this set up (same colors), except no rally pac

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachments/classic-talk/36928d1197910080-anybody-have-pictures-how-they-mounted-tach-their-1965-1966-mustang-img_1840.jpg

When I saw this picture, I wondered if I should do this? Has anyone built their own rally pac? I'm tempted with a whole new dash cluster like what you guys are doing, but I'm not sure due to hesitation on cost, drama fitting it and it looking out of place. Does anyone have further thoughts on this?

9/05/2019 5:53 AM  #16

Your biggest cost in building and cluster is going to be the gauges themselves.  Jump on Summit, Jegs, Amazon, etc. and find the ones you want.  '65-'66 clusters are pretty straightforward; I've even seen guys just replace them with a flat plate with gauges in them.  It all comes down to fabrication skill, but those skills only come from taking on projects you initially thought maybe were above your head.  If you can't find the look you want your only option is be unhappy with whats commercially available, or build your own. 

9/05/2019 1:14 PM  #17

My set up includes an 'A' pillar gauge pod with switchable left/right AFR and voltmeter, not enough room in the O/E bezel for extra gauges.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/05/2019 7:05 PM  #18

Stevo wrote:

Chaplin wrote:

Is it possible to get this instrument face in a black? What was it like fitting it and connecting up the wiring?

I think it also comes in a black carbon fiber looking finish.  The Speedhut gauges fit perfectly and were fairly simply to wire.   They supply a daisy chain power connector for all the gauges and then you need to tie all the grounds together and I used a 9-pin connector to make a quick disconnect for the gauge senders, turn signal indicators and high beam indicator. I did it on the bench and kept it fairly organized and it took maybe an hour to do it. I'll see if I have an installed pic somewhere.

9/06/2019 5:31 PM  #19

Chaplin wrote:

Stevo wrote:

Chaplin wrote:

I think it also comes in a black carbon fiber looking finish.  The Speedhut gauges fit perfectly and were fairly simply to wire.   They supply a daisy chain power connector for all the gauges and then you need to tie all the grounds together and I used a 9-pin connector to make a quick disconnect for the gauge senders, turn signal indicators and high beam indicator. I did it on the bench and kept it fairly organized and it took maybe an hour to do it. I'll see if I have an installed pic somewhere.

That would be great if you can post an installed picture of it. Something about your gauge set up that is very classic looking and classic is the style that I followed with restoring my car. It would need to be the black for me though as I don't want to introduce a new color.
Can you just purchase the panel and fit gauges later? Do you have a link to where you purchased yours from?

9/06/2019 5:47 PM  #20

I bought the gauges and panel separately. The bezel was from Mustangs to Fear
https://shop.mustangstofear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_57_123&zenid=gpo5n8cf46fsiojd3ijh45gni0

The gauges are Speedhut, designed by yours truly!

https://www.speedhut.com/

instant photo upload

9/06/2019 5:50 PM  #21

One more which may be better that the first pic.

9/06/2019 7:38 PM  #22

Thanks for posting those pictures. It looks great!

This is what I have now, so I think the black would look best for me I think. When I compare your dash to mine, mine definitely looks old and tired.

What do people think?

Last edited by Stevo (9/06/2019 7:41 PM)

9/06/2019 8:14 PM  #23

Stevo wrote:

This is what I have now, so I think the black would look best for me I think. When I compare your dash to mine, mine definitely looks old and tired.

What do people think?

I think it's your car so pick the color you like best and go for it...

Last edited by josh-kebob (9/06/2019 8:15 PM)

9/06/2019 8:24 PM  #24

Stevo wrote:

What do people think?

My car/dash was the exact same color as yours when I started!

Last edited by Chaplin (9/06/2019 8:24 PM)

9/06/2019 10:41 PM  #25

My car has been restored back to mostly original with paint codes etc and I'm quite happy with that. I think the hurdle here will be trying to get something like this gauge/bezel set up, but trying to make it look like it belongs and that it's not a totally different style.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.