FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/07/2019 5:26 AM  #1

shelby drop

what coil springs is everyone using when they do there drop.
my car 65 coupe 302 is just driven on weekend and events and i don't want something that is to rough'
i hear the 620 spring could drop the front end to low.
just like to hear what you guys think.

thnaks

9/07/2019 8:15 AM  #2

Re: shelby drop

I did the drop on my 66 with 620 springs. I'm running 17" narrowed wheels 235/45/17 tires. Ride height is just right.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

9/07/2019 11:47 AM  #3

My advice.............do the Shelby drop first, then go from there. It tends to lower the front an inch or more. (seems all cars are different)
More trouble.........removing the springs and etc. twice butt ....IF it drops too much THEN you gotta do it anyway to install thicker isolation pads!
BTW....my springs had a full coil cut off.  Rides great butt-eye had to get thicker pads to get it back up.

Why not try 6 cylinder springs?! The V-8 will put it down some and with good shocks ride won't suffer!  I bet they are REASONABLE from Rock Auto.  Jus say'in
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/07/2019 12:21 PM  #4

Just want to share, I did the SD to my 65 stock 289 coupe with 620 springs and with 225x60x15 TAs and The car drives like a new car. Best thing I ever did.
Chris

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

9/07/2019 4:00 PM  #5

I have 620# springs (not modified either) and Arning drop.

Distance from bottom of fender to center of wheel is 13”.

I’m running 235/40/18 pirelli tires (these seem on narrow side compared to other brands) on 18x7.5 wheel.

Final backspacing with 1” wheel spacer is 4.75”.

4.5” backspacing would probably be better...at least for this wheel/tire combo.

At full turns noticed light rub on tire, not wheel to front frame rail.  Not an issue 99% percent of time.

I had these 620# springs WITHOUT the drop as well with 235/60/14 BFG’s.  Didn’t have any clearance issues with tires in front at all.

9/07/2019 6:16 PM  #6

Nos681 wrote:

I have 620# springs (not modified either) and Arning drop.

Distance from bottom of fender to center of wheel is 13”.

I’m running 235/40/18 pirelli tires (these seem on narrow side compared to other brands) on 18x7.5 wheel.

Final backspacing with 1” wheel spacer is 4.75”.

4.5” backspacing would probably be better...at least for this wheel/tire combo.

At full turns noticed light rub on tire, not wheel to front frame rail. Not an issue 99% percent of time.

I had these 620# springs WITHOUT the drop as well with 235/60/14 BFG’s. Didn’t have any clearance issues with tires in front at all.

how's the ride with the 620 springs on compared to the stock one's

9/07/2019 7:52 PM  #7

I apologize now for being long winded.
The ride was slightly firmer.
The firmness is more from my shocks.
Especially on washboard roads...gotta go slower.

I had purchased an entire kit to install at one time.
I have following:  KYB Gas-a-just on all four corners, 1-1/8” front sway bar, 5 leaf mid-eye rear springs, 3/4” rear sway bar (recently removed due to oversteer), and 620 springs.

The coil springs were installed about a year after everything else, Why?
My thought at the time was to rebuild front end and install springs at same time.
I was still learning about the car and having the time/place/money to do it.
Take it apart once.

With the tired original springs (289) and KYB’s in front, the largest tire I could fit was 225/60/14 Kelly Chargers and those ran smaller than BFG’s of same size.

After 620 spring install and KYB’s, I was able to run 235/60/14 BFG’s.
My front end raised compared to my original springs.

Both were on 14x6.5 cragar wheel with 3.5” backspacing.
These wheels didn’t have enough backspacing for the tires I wanted to use.
Actually had very light scrubbing on one rear tire if I had passengers in back seat.
Backspacing is your friend!

All of above was WITHOUT Shelby/Arning drop with Granada spindles.

I finally performed the drop two years ago, since I was replacing ball joints.

I kick myself in rear for not doing the drop while rebuilding the front end the first time.
Handles way better than before!

I will be installing the correct ‘65 spindles this winter with the same suspension setup.

In my defense, we didn’t have internet to research information.

Bahahaha😂

Hopefully this helps.

Last edited by Nos681 (9/08/2019 6:58 AM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.