FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/24/2013 12:57 PM  #1

5.0 Engine #s

32 e7te ca s

Final got all the gunk off the block to read the #s

Anyone tell me what this means/

Thanks
Steve69

8/24/2013 1:57 PM  #2

Re: 5.0 Engine #s

The E7TE is E=1980's, 7=1987, T=Truck(but not necessarily used in a truck) E=engine
Where were these located on the block? Heads?
My 5.0 as best as I was able to find out, came from an 88 Tbird. It has the same numbers except the 32 is a 30 on mine. I got my codes from the block near the starter mounting area. Mine is a roller cam motor. I had an S stamped on the passenger side head near the front of the motor. This was a standard head used on non HO passenger cars. I found some E7 heads and uppper and lower intake from HO motor. Purchased HO firing order cam and voila! I have something like an HO motor. Except for forged pistons.. I think. Also, the year code is the beginning in the series, so E7 or 1987 was used beyond that year, ( could be a newer block).

At least that's how I understand it.

Last edited by KStang (8/24/2013 2:21 PM)

8/24/2013 9:25 PM  #3

Thanks KStang.  I was told it out of a 87 HO Mustang so that makes sense.   It has the 2 bolts that bolt to center of engine that has the arms that hold the lifter in place.  So I think its a Roller so I hope it has the Forged Pistons.   I checked out the bearing and they look good.  No copper showing or anything that doesn't look normal wear.   Just hope the Rings are good.  The cylinders looked good.  My plan was to throw some Aluminum heads on it and go with it.   The info was on the back of the block.   I found a 7k12 on one of the heads.  Couldn't read what was on the other.

Thanks
Steve69

Last edited by Steve69 (8/24/2013 9:34 PM)

8/24/2013 10:09 PM  #4

Steve69 wrote:

Thanks KStang. I was told it out of a 87 HO Mustang so that makes sense. It has the 2 bolts that bolt to center of engine that has the arms that hold the lifter in place. So I think its a Roller so I hope it has the Forged Pistons. I checked out the bearing and they look good. No copper showing or anything that doesn't look normal wear. Just hope the Rings are good. The cylinders looked good. My plan was to throw some Aluminum heads on it and go with it. The info was on the back of the block. I found a 7k12 on one of the heads. Couldn't read what was on the other.

Thanks
Steve69

Yes Steve...if it has the "spider" in the lifter valley it is a roller motor.  The spidr holds down the lilttle "H" pieces and they keep the lifters from rotating.

Sounds like a good find if it's not too expensive. 

Good luck,

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/25/2013 8:42 PM  #5

I have a '92 5.0 new rebuilt for sale in swap meet area for $1800.  It is a roller cam motor with forged flat top pistons and GTP 40 heads with roller rockers..  Motor has never been fired since rebuild.  Can't build one for the price.  Look under search for rest of info on the motor.  I am located in Sprg. Mo. area.

"when I drop something, it always goes to center of the car"

8/25/2013 8:49 PM  #6

Bullet Bob wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

Thanks KStang. I was told it out of a 87 HO Mustang so that makes sense. It has the 2 bolts that bolt to center of engine that has the arms that hold the lifter in place. So I think its a Roller so I hope it has the Forged Pistons. I checked out the bearing and they look good. No copper showing or anything that doesn't look normal wear. Just hope the Rings are good. The cylinders looked good. My plan was to throw some Aluminum heads on it and go with it. The info was on the back of the block. I found a 7k12 on one of the heads. Couldn't read what was on the other.

Thanks
Steve69

Yes Steve...if it has the "spider" in the lifter valley it is a roller motor.  The spidr holds down the lilttle "H" pieces and they keep the lifters from rotating.

Sounds like a good find if it's not too expensive. 

Good luck,

BB

Thanks BB,    I've had it in the Garage for a few years.   Thought I should start making some progress on it.   I paid $200 for the whole engine including upper and lower manifold.  I've been parting it out and keeping the short block. 

Steve69

8/27/2013 9:23 AM  #7

E6 was 86 and older, E7 was 87 and newer. The 87+ mustang heads are E7TE, but they dont flow too much. I believe every 87+ engine had forged pistons until '93 but I dont know if that includes tbirds.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.