FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/09/2019 7:35 PM  #1

More C-4 Leakage Issues

OK, I had a bit of leakage from the tranny and it appeared to be from the shift linkage area so I had the local transmission shop replace the linkage seals. All was good for several days and then a puddle of fluid appeared. I checked the fluid level and it had been overfilled so I took some fluid out. For a week I checked it every day (the car was parked the whole time) and no leaks. Then we were away for a week and when we returned there was a large puddle in the pan I had placed under the tranny (maybe almost a pint of fluid). I cleaned it up and for the past 6 days not a drop appeared. Today I checked it in the morning and all was still well. Tonight, once again a significant puddle. I cannot figure out where it is coming from and why it does not leak for a week or more and then dumps a significant amount. I took down the dust cover at the front seal and it was dry inside.
Any suggestions of what to look for? Color me frustrated.   

9/09/2019 7:44 PM  #2

Re: More C-4 Leakage Issues

Athlete's foot spray powder can be used to pinpoint where the leak is.
 Clean up the tranny again and sprey a coat of the spray on it. the leak source will be every apparent on the white powder.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/09/2019 11:34 PM  #3

Alternative to Rudi’s great suggestion. You can use isopropyl alcohol and talcum powder in a spray bottle to do same thing. Alcohol will evaporate and talcum powered will show where leak is occurring.  Learned about this trick to determine location of leaks in oil filled cables a few years ago.  Thanks Rudi for reminder.

Just remember that power steering fluid is red also....jic.

Last edited by Nos681 (9/09/2019 11:37 PM)

9/10/2019 6:44 AM  #4

Depending on the year of your C4, the early versions did not have an anti drain back setup which can lead in some cases to the case filling up with fluid and finding new places to leak.  I don't know the exact dates when the design of the case and pump occurred but I think it was around 67.  But if you have a rebuilt trans, you may not know what year the case is.  The relatively simple solution or test is to put a check valve in the return line (I believe) which helps limit the amount of drain back from the torque converter which can over fill the case when you shut it down.  Not all C4's will have this issue and a lot will depend on its history.  Some reading suggests that this can also be a torque converter issue.  Do a few searches on check-valves and anti drain back and see if this might be related to your problem.  Make sure your trans is up to temperature when you check fluid level in park as this can lead to an over-fill.

9/10/2019 7:00 AM  #5

Nos681 wrote:

Alternative to Rudi’s great suggestion. You can use isopropyl alcohol and talcum powder in a spray bottle to do same thing. Alcohol will evaporate and talcum powered will show where leak is occurring. Learned about this trick to determine location of leaks in oil filled cables a few years ago. Thanks Rudi for reminder.

Just remember that power steering fluid is red also....jic.

Thanks - - -  the credit  should go to MS, he posted that info years ago but used , wait for this, - - -Jock Itch spray 

9/10/2019 6:47 PM  #6

OK, MS is the smartest Mustang guy I know so if he used Jock Itch spray -- that is good enough for me. Guess I'll go back to Target and see if I can trade the Athlete's Foot stuff I bought.  

9/10/2019 7:51 PM  #7

They are the one and the same, both treat a fungus and find oil leaks.

9/10/2019 8:18 PM  #8

Rudi - that was just my feeble attempt at humor. I'll go with the powder spray I bought. Cheers

9/12/2019 1:31 AM  #9

If they dropped the valve body to replace the shift/kickdown seals, it's possible that they either forgot the anti-drainback valve that goes in with the filter, or they have it on wrong. If you are draining out of your vent and it's been apart recently, then this is what I would be looking at.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.