FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/05/2019 1:08 PM  #1

Engine Bay

I generally drive my '67 a few times a week so it is not really a daily driver but it does get frequent use. Over time the engine bay has become quite grimy and dusty, etc. I am looking for advice on how to clean it up without doing something I will regret. Thanks for any suggestions. 

10/05/2019 3:00 PM  #2

Re: Engine Bay

A pressure washer can do wonders.  I've used mine on all of my cars.

You can also spray on engine cleaner - several applications to get it all - then wash that off.  soap and water will then get some more.

And, finally, a good old wet rag, tooth brush, and elbow grease to get at all those cracks and creavases.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

10/05/2019 4:34 PM  #3

OK great. I do have a pressure washer. Do I need to cover the distributor or anything else before spraying?  

10/05/2019 7:46 PM  #4

I just use the coin operated car wash every time I wash the car. Do not spray directly into the air filter, alternator or the top of the distributor. The engine compartment stays spotless. Leave the hood up so steam does not form in the distributor.

Once you start the engine, be sure it runs well for a while before leaving the safety of the car wash parking lot. If it did get moisture inside the cap, just pop the cap loose and prop it open for a few minutes to dry. Then reinstall the cap.  I have done it this way since I was in high school (class of 73) and have never had anything worse than time to drink a soda waiting for the distributor to dry out.

Do NOT use the engine cleaner soap setting if you have any aluminum parts. It will cause bad spotting. The regular soap function and spot free rinse works great.

A high pressure washer works, but be careful as it can remove paint, decals and can blow through valve cover gaskets and intake front seals and skin on your fingers.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/05/2019 7:58 PM  #5

Thanks Steve. I think I'll give that a try. Better at the car wash than on my driveway. Keep Momma happy. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.