FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/24/2019 4:57 PM  #76

Re: The Phoenix Project

Nice work Hakan......cool jig you built. BTW, did you hear about the train derailment in Sweden???

Last edited by josh-kebob (3/24/2019 8:50 PM)

3/24/2019 8:28 PM  #77

Hakan wrote:

Finally an update on the Phoenix Project, here's how I shortened the 2wd Ford Explorer aluminum drive shaft I am going to use:

Thats real nice Hakan!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/25/2019 2:56 PM  #78

josh-kebob wrote:

Nice work Hakan......cool jig you built. BTW, did you hear about the train derailment in Sweden???

Aha, that must have been why the train was late last Wednesday and I had to go back to the parking lot to take the car to make it in time for a meeting...

6sally6 wrote:

Thats real nice Hakan!

Thanks Mike!

Last edited by Hakan (3/25/2019 2:56 PM)

3/31/2019 3:11 PM  #79

Started to polish the drive shaft:

8/17/2019 2:10 PM  #80

Started to work on the Phoenix Project again and switched the rear lower coil over brackets from side to side which means the car was raised around 1" and pretty much gave me the ride height I've been looking for. Even if the springs most likely will settle a bit I can adjust for that now and still have a margin. The "problem" I have now is to try to stay away from using the coil over shocks I had in the rear in the front... the front end is as of now set up to use original style springs and shocks, but it would of course be cool to have adjustable ride height in the front also.

8/21/2019 10:39 PM  #81

Looks great.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

8/22/2019 7:35 AM  #82

Craftsmanship second to none!!!

8/22/2019 4:26 PM  #83

Thanks!

This might take a while to sort out:

Bought this book from the UK, hopefully it will help to handle to above situation together with all the wiring diagrams I already have:

Last edited by Hakan (8/24/2019 6:10 AM)

8/28/2019 6:14 PM  #84

Put all the wiring on the garage floor to try to get an overview of the situation. Then looked at the old wiring together with the 67 Mustang diagrams and made a new front and rear wiring harness with some add ons and relocation of connections. Not as hard as I initially thought, but I do have the more complicated engine management parts left to do that might be a little bit more challenging. Have no idea where I put the inertia fuel pump shut off switch ultrastang once donated to me, but as the local wrecking yard is next to where I work I'll make a visit there tomorrow. To hopefully save some time I've done research on where the inertia switch can be found (behind the passenger side kick panel) on the European Fords I know they have there.

9/02/2019 6:13 PM  #85

Finally figured out how to get some extra HP out of my old 289:

Seriously I found that horn in a Mercedes at the wrecking yard today and just couldn't resist bringing it home. But don't worry I won't use it on the car, promise.

9/02/2019 9:38 PM  #86

perfect exhaust tip......

9/08/2019 3:20 PM  #87

Latest progress on the wiring. Almost got the engine harness done and on the roof I hopefully have enough of different color wires left for the instrument panel.

9/18/2019 11:57 AM  #88

fabbing a new harness, looks like you have a plan . keep the update coming

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

9/23/2019 3:30 PM  #89

I see an Explorer cam sensor in there, are you going to run the Explorer EDIS too?

9/26/2019 12:56 PM  #90

Raymond_B wrote:

I see an Explorer cam sensor in there, are you going to run the Explorer EDIS too?

Yes, that's the plan.

9/27/2019 10:17 PM  #91

Can’t wait to see the Phoenix burn out....than fade away!😎

10/20/2019 3:59 PM  #92

The latest:

The panel above with the EEC, fuses, relays, EDIS stuff, 12V outlet, USB 5V outlet, USB PC connection for the Quarterhorse and the remote access control box is supposed to go behind the instrument panel and you can see parts of it through the glove box opening, like this:

Here's also the engine harness except for the cam sensor wires that I still have to include. As my headers are facing forward before they connects and goes in to the turbocharger the O2 sensor wiring could be included in the engine harness.

10/21/2019 7:47 PM  #93

Is there anything this man can't do???? 

10/22/2019 6:58 PM  #94

Glens 1965 50 wrote:

Is there anything this man can't do???? 

Thanks Glen, but as you know I can't cook or even use a washing machine, so I guess I just developed skills in certain areas.

10/23/2019 12:48 PM  #95

Hakan....... What software would you recommend to draw out a colored wiring schematic?????

10/23/2019 5:31 PM  #96

Glens 1965 50 wrote:

Hakan....... What software would you recommend to draw out a colored wiring schematic?????

Microsoft Visio would be my first choice, but there's a lot of (even free) alternatives out there:
https://www.maketecheasier.com/5-best-free-alternatives-to-microsoft-visio/
https://www.edrawsoft.com/en/wiring-diagram-software.html
https://www.smartdraw.com/wiring-diagram/wiring-diagram-software.htm

11/10/2019 7:24 PM  #97

Making progress with the wiring and decided to work with everything off the car before installing it and cutting the rear, front and engine harness to the correct length. Have had a couple of real challenges mostly because of combining stuff from different cars like a SAAB wiper motor with Volkswagen switches and  a Ford washer pump. On the other hand also ran into thing easier than I thought as with the MAF as the larger diameter European Ford MAF I used uses the exact same sensor as the US Ford MAF I replaced. I am BTW thinking about testing all that's possible to test off the car as can be seen here:

12/24/2019 8:13 PM  #98

That car is looking gooooood! Excellent workmanship and design, Hakan! Is that upper and lower intake the one I sent you or did you go with something newer? I can't tell as when I saw it last, it sure didn't shine like that! Looks like the Phoenix Project is nearing completion. I watched your video on how you shortened the aluminum drive shaft. That is the same one I used in my 4R70W installation, and it was shortened about 2" also. Very nice work - how did you balance it, or have you done that yet?

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

12/27/2019 9:29 AM  #99

Ron68 wrote:

That car is looking gooooood! Excellent workmanship and design, Hakan! Is that upper and lower intake the one I sent you or did you go with something newer? I can't tell as when I saw it last, it sure didn't shine like that! Looks like the Phoenix Project is nearing completion. I watched your video on how you shortened the aluminum drive shaft. That is the same one I used in my 4R70W installation, and it was shortened about 2" also. Very nice work - how did you balance it, or have you done that yet?

Thanks Ron!

The upper and lower intakes are either the ones you sent me or the ones ultrastang once sent me. I haven't balanced the drive shaft yet. I've had good luck in the past shortening drive shafts without balancing them and we'll see how it works out this time.

The goal I have now is to get the car running and I have a surprisingly short list of things to do to get there. A nice paint job and such things can wait until later when I really know I won't have to go back and change any of my many modifications.

2/09/2020 7:43 PM  #100

Been watching a couple of YouTube videos about vapor or wet blasting. While trying to find something else I found an old pump I thought I didn't have any longer and happy about that I obviously had to try out if it would work for this application. Actually really simple as I just mixed water and blasting media in a bucket, glued a 90 degree outlet from the pump to agitate the water/media mix, used a blasting gun I already had and connected the whole contraption to 220 volt and the compressor. With glass bead media you're supposed to get a almost polished finish instead of the rather rough finish I got on the valve cover I made the test on. The next step now is to build this into the blasting cabinet I have.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.